Help! Cat unstable and stubbornly high BG. Infection??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen Bailey, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Hello I am really worried about my boy......
    He is a 14 year old ex stray/feral I have had for 8 years. He is FIV and has a heart murmur he has been diabetic for around 6 years on Caninsulin.

His diabetes has become really unstable over the last 6-8 weeks that culminated in a hypo around 12 days ago. I started filling in the spreadsheet (normally I keep it in his medicine book - yes sadly he has one.....) The vet said we should go low on insulin following the hypo and build it up but the last few days he has become very high with a reading of HI on Alphatrak 2. Today he has remained over over 20.4, is depressed and not interested in food. I think he feels rotten.
    He is booked in on Thursday to have his insulin changed to Prozinc which we are hoping will help him stabilize as Caninsulin isn't cutting it anymore. He has had full bloods with everything in normal range except SMDA which was 19. Thyroid etc is all fine and his heart murmur is ok.

I am wondering whether a high BG can be a reaction to an infection?? As he is FIV he does get them so my question is - is that possible? Can high BG be a sign of infection??
    Grateful for any advice or opinions as I am really worried about him......stopping eating and insulin is always a bad combo......
    I can't upload the spreadsheet as it won't let me so here is a link......

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVdkbKxxLovVjayS_cJvrwOmzOq1jRjMs4uwKu-a508/edit?usp=sharing

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi - Hang in there :bighug::bighug::bighug: You're doing what you can and have a big heart - that goes a long way ❤️
    Yes, BG can rise due to an infection and/or inflammation.

Are you testing for ketones at home? You just need human ketone urine sticks (available at any pharmacy). Lots of info on ketones here - link.

Sharing the SS by link is perfect (and preferred!) - we put it in our signature for ease of access. With that said, when I click on your link, I can't view it due to permissions - do you know how to change the Share preferences to "anyone with a link"? Click on Share in the upper right hand and then at the bottom you'll need to change it to anyone with a link.

Hope that helps a bit :bighug:I'm sure others will be by :bighug:

3. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Thank you so much. I took him to the emergency vet and they ran his bloods again. They think he has lymphoma in kidney as his kidney values were high and red blood cells are low. Going to try to get him in the vet today to see if they can find out. Absolutely gutted with everything else the boy lad has this is very likely to be the last straw for him. Fingers crossed. Xxx
    Thank you for the reply really appreciated when you are scared alone late at night it really helps to reach out.

4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Gosh, so sorry to hear :bighug: I don't have any experience with feline lymphoma but if you wanted to, you could start a new thread or even change the title of this one to say something like "Kidney Lymphoma?" Some folks on here have experience reading lab values too. Hoping the vet visit goes okay :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.