? Help for arthritis

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Dasha and Kabosu, May 6, 2022.

1. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Hi Suzanne! Kabosu is still with us which I'm really grateful for. He is on 35U of Lantus but still unregulated, he is very slow and pretty weak, but spends a lot of time outside anyway.
    We now have monthly vet visits to make sure he's not suffering and they also give painkillers for his joint pain.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Can you get Adequan injections for arthritis? A lot of people’s cats have been helped by those injections. I am not sure if Adequan goes by another name in Ireland.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ask for Cartrophen. It's what most of the rest of the world gets instead of Adequan. It's a dog and horse med used off label for cats.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Jackie55 & Bootsie Member

Wendy or Suzanne - how often are the injections of Cartrophen given? Bootsie does seem to have some arthritis and joint pain also, she moves a bit or jumps down from the counter to stool to floor but then takes a few steps and lays down, so I do think her joints hurt.
    She is hanging in there but certainly sleeps a lot. We have a vet check next month for labs. And her insulin is holding at 27 U per day with her numbers really all over the place. I know maybe she should have lower numbers but I am happy if they are under 250.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Jackie. I have been thinking about you and was just getting ready to write to you because it's been too long! For you (in the U.S.) it would be Adequan. A lot of people start out with a "loading dose" of Adequan. I think weekly. Then you can stretch it out, depending on the cat's response to it. Some people do monthly injections to maintain the results. Some people do more frequently. It does sound like our sweet Bootsie may have aching joints.

Jackie55 & Bootsie likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

ASk you vet for shot schedule. THere a loading period and it varies depending upon where you look. I would ask your vet. The links I used not longer work. It was twice a week for 2? weeks then once a week for 2? weeks then once a month.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. It does vary. Our @JanetNJ did weekly adequan injections for her cat CC. You can do a word search for Adequan and see what people have said. Our most recent user of Adequan who comes to mind is @Katherine&Ruby who is using them for Ruby right now. The shots have been very helpful for Ruby. So yes, see what your vet would recommend. A lot depends on the cat's response to the injections. Katherine does them at home, so you would be able to do them at home.

8. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Jackie55 & Bootsie Member

Okay thanks.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes adequan was life changing for her and have her several more quality years.

10. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member