Help for Ginge,high BG and up to 9 units of Lantus

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by ann jones, Mar 30, 2019.

1. ann jones

ann jones New Member

Ginge is 16 years old and has been diabetic for many years.
    He was put on Lantus in 2012.
    Recently he was quite ill and was hospitalized for 48 hours and put on a drip.
    He was diagnosed with stage 2 CKD.
    His BG has been in the 20's, sometimes 30's.
    He was on 5 units of insulin until then but I have increased it steadily and now he is on 9 units.
    His readings today were 8.2 pre shot.10.6 mid day(these readings are practically unheard of) but then this evening he is back up to 19.4.
    I don't know what to do!!!!!!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Is there a reason you posted in this forum? People post here if their cats have secondary conditions, such as acromegaly, insulins auto antibodies or Cushing disease. Are you suspecting one of those? If your cat has been diabetic for six plus years, I rather suspect he doesn’t have one of those conditions.

I am glad you are home testing. Have you been keeping a log of his blood sugar readings for a while? Would it be possible to put at least the last few weeks worth of data in a spreadsheet? People here like to see the data before commenting on dose. The instructions for the spreadsheet are here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

What sort of food is Ginge eating now and is it what he has been eating up to now? Vet kidney food is notoriously high in carbs and contraindicated for diabetic cats.

You may find you will get more help to get you started here on the Feline Health forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

JeffJ likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I and welcome!!!

Is very good that you decided to post in the forum you will see there's a lot of very experienced people here that can help you, it would probably help if you can post her blood test results and give everyone some background

Ginge is a 19.8 pounds cat that as Ann mentioned is already on 9 units of Lantus and has sporadically seen some blues, I can see her SS but I think she put the values in the US tabs and she has her readings in mmol/L she is currently transitioning Ginge to Thirve and she lives in the UK,

I did suggested she posted in the FDMB hopefully some of you guys with experience with high dose kitties can help her

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. ann jones

ann jones New Member

Oh no.
    Should I change the spread sheet?
    Food? I have him back on the Purina DM. I normally have a selection of dry Diabetic food but am seeing if it works just feeding the one.
    As well he has a tin of thrive and a tin of fish applaws(he doesn't like wet food, but these ones he will lick, and hopefully take a little)
    Am giving him 25 gr of Purina DM twice a day.I did buy a load of dry kidney food but heard it was bad for him.
    Ginge is blind and has no teeth(well just two, one at the top and one at the bottom)
    He mostly sleeps but goes down the garden once sometimes twice a day.
    Lately I have carried him down the garden and left him to walk back much to his disgust!!
    What else can I say about him- he is a beautiful handsome boy and the love of my life.He has been with me since a kitten.

Attached Files:

JeffJ likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cute little (well maybe not so little :p) orange boy.

As for the spreadsheet, I am not sure what is happening, but I don’t understand the values in the AMPS and PMPS cells. They should be the blood sugar readings taken just before the shots. They should have just one dccimal place. Here we are hard wired to seeing the colour coding those numbers would show.

Any chance of tossing the dry food and just feeding low carb wet or raw? Almost all dry food is too high carb, even the DM. Here is a good page on tips from transitioning to wet. https://catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf

6. ann jones

ann jones New Member

Trying to sort the SS with Marj.
    I know the dry food is bad (now) but he has never eaten wet.
    He was the last one in his litter to be weaned and I believe the owner was trying to force feed him!!