Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adrienne & Molly, May 24, 2019.
New thread created from previous
Found you. Just responding to get alerts.
Can Molly have toys with catnip? Does it interfere with their BG?
Cat nip is no problem at all. She can have as much as she wants!
Can I still give insulin this morning or skip?
I'd still give her the insulin by I think I'd stick to the 0.10 dose provided you can grab a test around +3 and see where she's headed. I wonder how low she went yesterday during the day cycle and it looks like she went low last night too. That was a serious drop of 100 points by +3 last night.
Ok, I had to rush back to work yesterday. Didn’t have time to check her or feed her. Left work early and rushed home. I’m going to have to start using the dishes with the timer on them again. In case I can’t make it home. I’ll grab a test at +3
5.9 this morning should I skip?
I think if I were you, I'd skip only because you can't monitor her closely today and you've never shot that low a pre-shot. If only Molly would deliver these low pre-shots on the weekend, you'd be able to monitor her and see what she does on the 0.10u at a lower pre-shot. You listening Molly?
I figured to skip this morning, but thought I’d ask. Hopefully she’ll be like this for the weekend. Fingers crossed
.10 for tonight
Yup. She didn't earn a reduction and she seems to be working the 0.10u between her bounces. Fingers crossed for the weekend.
Hey Linda I hate to post this here but I just saw you were on line, would you please please take a look at Tyler's numbers, I don't know what to give him tonight ?@MrWorfMen's Mom
Safe to give Molly .10?
Yes I would give Molly the 0.10 dose.
@MrWorfMen's Mom please help have messaged you about Tyler, sorry to hijack your post @Adrienne & Molly
Maybe you can create a new thread on the main forum. Asking for help just a suggestion. I’m new to this myself.
@Mamakin Sorry. I have been up to my ears in stuff and not online much lately. I have created a spreadsheet for Tyler and it is loaded with data up to the 20th of May and I have it running on my Android version 4.2.1. I'm still dashing around today but will be able to look at stuff tonight. I'm way behind on PMs and will be in touch tonight to sort out how to hopefully get you able to update and use the spreadsheet going forward.
Thank you so so much! I truly appreciate everything
Hi yes I did and also put posted it on the Vetsulin Forum
Molly's now 6 years old as of today
Happy Birthday Molly!
Adrienne, I think you can give Molly the 0.10u this morning as long as you can check her at lunch time. You've shot 120 before and she was fine.
Ok, I’ll give her a shot but what time can I give her insulin tonight?
You can give it a half hour early....so 11.5 hours after you shoot. If that is going to put your schedule totally off, just skip for today.
Ok so 6:30 tonight where I have it to her 7am. Had to give her a puffer this morning. Pretty smoky here from the forest fires.
Is that from that huge Alberta fire blowing your way? I heard something on the news about it affecting air quality over a very wide area.
Yes, that's the one very smoky here. If you look at the map we're straight across from it.
Checking in quickly, Adrienne. How is it going?
Good, I was thinking about you the other day. Molly is doing good just wondering. If I should increase on the weekend?
Yes, I think it's worth trying 0.25 u on the weekend.
Come on Molly....work that juice and head for the waters edge and dip your toes in the nice blue water!
Test her here in a few minutes
New dose wonkiness. Not to worry......she'll come back down soon!
That’s what I figured
Safe to give her .25 tonight?
I'd say yes but definitely get that +3 or before bed test. If she has dropped a fair bit by + 3 , give her some higher carb food to slow her down and set an alarm for +6. I think she'll be fine but just in case........
If that isn't an option tonight, then drop her down to 0.10u.
Ok I’ll try the .25
Safe for the .25 this morning?
Yes I think you're fine to go with the 0.25u and as usual, leave her a snack to munch on and check her at lunch time. She seems to always throw you a pink after she hits blue. Got to get her more used to those blues.
How can I keep her in the blues? Home at lunch and I knew she was lower BG. She didn't eat very much
That blue is fine. How did you know her BG was lower? Does she act differently when she is in the blues or was it just that she hadn't eaten much when you came home to test her? If the latter, I know with my girl, there seemed to be a range of BG where she could care less whether she had food or not. When she first started seeing some blue, she'd get quieter with the lower numbers. I suspect this was because she was so used to being in the yellows or pink, she was perhaps feeling odd when in lower numbers. Molly may be displaying some signs similar to this but specific to her.
Keeping her in the blues may require getting a little more aggressive with her dosing like not giving her reductions until she drops a bit lower than 90. Was hoping she would honour you with a lower pre-shot on the weekend last week (and some weekends before) and she will one day soon.
Yes, the signs that you have mentioned. Is the same with Molly. She always greets me at the door. When she doesn't I know her BG is not yellow. She didn't eat as much either. I want to keep her in the blues. So if I have to be more aggressive so be it. DH would like to see her there too. Not sure if I can do that where I work all week?
Ideally, you shoot a lower pre-shot (lower than you've shot before) when you are available to monitor as needed just in case Molly decides to really work the juice. Your lowest pre-shot to date has been a drop dose at 81 and 0.10 at 117. She certainly didn't have any issues with either of those cycles so I think at minimum, if she is over 100, you can shoot. That said, the lowest you've shot 0.25u was 122 but she didn't drop too low at all. Molly is a bit bouncy and some of this involves trying to determine when she has bounced and when she is breaking the bounce. It's a puzzle to be sure but she's doing great thanks to your care.
I see that 214 this am but no dose yet. Not sure if you are puzzling or not over what to give her and I have to run out so I thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth before I leave.
I'd stick with the 0.25u, check at lunchtime and leave some LC food out for Molly to munch on if she feels the need. You've given this dose at a preshot of 218 before and she was fine.
I forgot to put in the spreadsheet. Hectic morning trying to get ready for work.
Oh my don’t like that number
I wonder if Molly might have come down more last night perhaps into the blues. That looks like a bounce. It's one number and one moment in time so don't sweat it.
Safe for dosage tonight?
I gave her .25 I remember you saying. Molly would be safe if not Under 100
Good call Adrienne. Was up till the early morning hours last night helping someone with a low kitty and I dozed off here on my sofa after dinner. Molly will be fine. Make sure to check her before bed and if she is dropping a lot you can always give her a bit of higher carb food to slow her down if absolutely necessary.
You’re awesome helping with low kitties. Yes I’ll get a test at bedtime.
Skip for this morning?
Gosh how I wish she would do this on Saturday instead of a work day. If you were going to be there to monitor I'd say give her the full 0.25u dose. Technically we dont reduce unless she goes below 90 using SLGS. I just don't know what she will do and I don't want to see you lose momentum so how about 0.10u today, leave food out for her and test her at lunchtime. That will be fine.
So .25 for this morning?
YEs by all means. Good girl Molly!
Keep going with the .25 for tonight?
Yes keep going on the 0.25u. Loving those greenies today! Go Molly!
She’s been pretty good today. Not much of an appetite, but playful
It's so good to see them return to their fun loving selves. She's doing great. You're doing a fine job with her.
Skip this morning right?
WELLLL! Technically going by SLGS yes you would skip because she is below 90 but we want to get Molly use to being in those healing numbers and you have lots of data now and she is not that much below 90. If you can monitor today, you could try the 0.25u and see if she will come down a little tiny bit more today. She still has room to drop given how far she dropped yesterday. Your call.
P.S. the other option would be to give her the earned reduction to a dose of 0.10u. The only reason I am suggesting sticking with the 0.25u is because she is finally giving you a lower number to shoot on the weekend and she keeps waffling between low doses at this point.
I don’t know what to do. She’ll be safe with the .25? She won’t drop to much? I’ll be out til after 9am this morning
So you will be back by +3 or so? If you are more comfortable dropping her back to 0.10u then that is fine. I just wouldn't skip entirely so as not to lose momentum. I think if you are feeling uneasy, I'd go with the 0.10u just in case you aren't back by +3.
Yes, I’ll be back around +3 I’d like to do the .25 but scared too. I’ll do the .10
No problem. Your comfort with the situation is vital!
I see that green mid cycle and am excited to see where Molly is at PMPS!
What should I do with dosage?
What's her BG now? I don't see it on her SS.
Sorry now it showed up! I'd go with 0.10u tonight. I'm liking what I see. Get that before bed test in and if she is dropping, give her food to slow her down, If she's down any significant amount, then higher carb food. I'll probably be up and will check in to see what's happening around MN my time.
Ok I’ll do a test around 9pm 3 hours ahead behind you
9pm would be better HAHAHAHA!
What should I do? She ate a little bit of food.
Ok that's lower than I thought she would be. Check her again in 20 minutes. I'll check back in. What time do you need to turn in for the night?
I can be up for another couple hours. I’ll test her in another 20 min.
Up a bit
ETA never mind ...forgot to refresh my SS view
Do I test again?
That 77 @ +3.33 should go into the same box with the 59 like the example pic below . Check her again at +4. I'll check in then.
Ok you can give her a bit of higher carb food to bring her up a bit more than last time. Let's try some medium carb if you have it, maybe a tbsp. Retest in 30 minutes.
What would Medium carb be?
Yup. sorry should have been more specific
ETA Sorry I have a cat screaming at me for food here! Medium carb would be between 10 and 15%
If you don't have medium carb, you can always put a drop of honey or karo into the low carb to make a medium carb. If you have high carb you could mix half with low carb too.
Ok time for the big guns. Straight high carb food and retest in 20 minutes. If you have anything with gravy, drain off some gravy and give her a couple tsps. of the gravy. If no gravy, then give her a tbsp. of the high carb.
Sorry Adrienne. Didn't expect her to be this active tonight.
I figured she'd bounce a bit from those greens in her usual fashion and she seems to have decided she likes being in those great numbers.
I know great for her, not so great for you tonight.
I tried the high carb and she wasn’t interested. So I opened a can of the FF tuna and mixed in the high carb. Try that I guess! I’ll test in 20 min. I’m really surprised she’s not bouncing
She's earned herself a reduction down to a drop again tomorrow morning as long as her BG is high enough.
Ok. Give her 15 minutes and test again. If she is still not coming up, put some karo or honey (a drop or 2) into the food she will eat and give her a tsp more. Sh's in no danger but we don't want her dropping and need her up.
Up a little bit but not much
Ok pains me to say this but do you have any of the kibble left?
I have a few of the treats
Ok give her a couple of them. Retest in 20 minutes.
Done why won’t she go up? Just a little so I don’t have to worry.
She's surfing with a little steering which is exactly what we want her to do. The problem tonight is that we have no experience to fall back on with Molly because this is the first time she's gone that low and stayed there for this long. It suggests to me that her pancreas is working better and she's getting more used to those lower BGs. This unfortunately is an inevitable part of this dance when they start turning a corner. Bounces that once drove you nuts would now be welcome. We know now to be careful on the cycles when you can't monitor or on night cycles when you need to go to bed.
We've been relatively conservative up to now with the carbs because I didn't want to see her bounce to the moon but if need be we just up the carbs so you can go to bed.
Separate names with a comma.