Help! I’m so overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandysh66, Jan 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Hi everyone. I posted a few days ago regarding Snuggles, my mama’s cat that I have due to my mom passing away. She went to the vet because of symptoms which were increase in drinking water, urinating more frequently, and increased appetite. I’ve gotten so much great advice from this site. The vet diagnosed Snuggles from the symptoms I gave her and a BS of 550. Immediately Vetsulin was prescribed at 2u twice daily. I will be transitioning her to a low carb diet. Right now Snuggles gets 1 unit of insulin every 12 hours right now. I have tested one BS and it was 360. I am so disgusted with the vets office…I have talked to 2 vets there and I suggested getting a prescription for Lantus. I’m told we have seen good results with the Vetsulin. There are no other vets accepting new patients with a 1 hour radius. I’m just so overwhelmed. And Snuggles makes it difficult to test her BS…my husband has to wear gloves I ordered from Chewy and hold her down..and it upsets him and he thinks he’s hurting her.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried offering some low carb snack like a little piece of chicken to distract her while you test?
    If you can get her to associate testing with a treat, that will help matters a lot.
    I would try taking her to one spot, touching her ears and giving a treat, several times a day, to get her used to the concept. And use that spot to do all the testing.

As far as the vet not giving you Lantus. I think it would be worth while going further afield to get the prescription. Once you have it you shouldn’t need to go often to that vet, although in all honesty, if you can find a vet an hour away that will work with you, it would be forth it.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

4. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I am going to call the vets office tomorrow and I’m going to be firm in my request that I’m not comfortable with the Vetsulin and I’m going to ask for a prescription for Lantus. If they don’t give me the prescription I am going to go elsewhere. I’m just so exhausted dealing with this vet. Does Lantus seem like the best choice? And if they will give me the script could someone please let me know what the script should include..ex. What size vial and dosage
    Thank you!

5. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes Lantus is a much better insulin for cats and is recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association.

I would ask for the pen prescription contains 5 little cartridges of Lantus.
    You keep them all in the fridge and use one at a time. As long as they are in the fridge they are good until the use by date.
    There are generic brands of the Lantus which is cheaper than Lantus in the US now. I’m not in the US but I’ll tag @Diane Tyler's Mom as she can steer you in the right direction to get cheaper Lantus.
    It is very overwhelming in the beginning especially if you have no support from your vet. It will get much better I promise. this is a very supportive and knowledgeable forum and everyone has had a diabetic cat and knows how overwhelming it is in the beginning.
    Stick to your guns about swapping insulins. You are your kitty’s advocate and it is your money.
    Keep posting and asking questions. We are more than happy to help you get sorted out and can help you with dosing as well moving forward.

sandysh66 likes this.
  7. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

What dosage do you recommend I start out with? Is it ok to just stop the Vetsulin and start the Lantus? Should I start the Lantus before I transition to low carb diet or is it ok to start when I transition to low carb food? Also, I will make sure I test her before I give insulin…how do I know if insulin is too low to give insulin? How low is too low to not give insulin? Sorry, my minds going a mile a minute.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

First of all, did the vet mention if he tested for ketones in the urine at diagnosis?
    If you don’t know, I would get a bottle of Ketostix from Walmart or a pharmacy and test the urine for ketones. It’s a good idea to test for them weekly in the beginning anyway, when the cat is unregulated because ketones in the urine of cats needs to be addressed asap.

If you are feeding an all low carb wet diet, I would start at 0.5 units of Lantus twice a day
    You hold that dose for 5 to 7 days to let the depot fill, unless the BG falls under 90 in which case you will reduce the dose.
    (Vetsulin is an ‘in and out’ insulin and each dose is not affected by the previous dose).
    Lantus being a depot insulin is affected by the previous dose…read about the depot and you will understand what I mean.
    INSULIN DEPOT

What type of glucose meter are you using?
    Always test before every dose of insulin to make sure it is safe to give the dose.
    In the beginning we say if the BG is under 200, you stall, don’t feed and test again in 20 minutes to see if the BG is rising. And post and ask for help.
    As you gather more data you will gradually start to shoot lower numbers.
    If you can, we would recommend you test at least once during every cycle as Lantus dosing is based on the nadir, not the preshot.

I don’t want to add you your feeling of stress, but we will be asking you to set up a spreadsheet and signature so that we can help you. We are very data driven here and can only help if we can see the BG numbers.
    I’m going to ask @Bandit's Mom if she will set up your spreadsheet for you. She is a whizz at it and can do it in a minute…she will get in touch with you soon.
    I’m going to give you the information about Lantus insulin so you can read it. It’s quite different to vetsulin where you need to feed your kitty 1/2 hour before giving the dose.
    Lantus is a much more gentle insulin and longer lasting.
    Here is a link to The Basics. This is a good place to start reading

sandysh66 likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s fine to start a new post. We just link the precious post to the current post when we start a new one. That way people helping you can look back easily at what has been happening.

sandysh66 likes this.
  10. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I’m sorry I’m confused by “you hold that dose for 5-7days”…could you clarify? I ordered the ReliOn Premier Classic from Walmart. Are the readings on a Glucometer for a cat the same as a human as far as normal values? If I’m using the small cans of low carb Fancy Feast how much do you recommend for two main meals and if any of that food during the day how much each feeding? Thanks!

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That means to stay at that dose for 5 to 7 days……I know that if you tell a nurse to hold the dose…that means don’t give it.( I’m a nurse too). In future I’ll have to say..’stay with that dose’

That’s a good meter. The normal BG readings for a non diabetic cat are 50 to 120

What I would do is work out how much you need to feed in a day and then divide that up into the two main meals and about two or three snacks each cycle. A snack is about 2 teaspoons of the low carb food.
    I don’t feed canned food …I feed a raw diet… but I think most people feed about a can before each dose.
    There are also low carb snacks like the freeze dried raw foods available now which are good for treats to give while testing the BG.

sandysh66 likes this.
  12. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

What syringes do I use for the Lantus pens? Also, is testing pretty easy with KetoStiks? What do I do if it tests positive for ketones? I’m great with patients..why am I so overwhelmed with Snuggles diabetes diagnosis?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

With Lantus you need the U100 3/10 ml, 30 or 31 gauge, 6 or 8 mm insulin syringes with 1/2 unit markings,
    You can get the ReliOn syringes from Walmart but make sure they have the 1/2 unit markings. They may say they don’t have them but if they look they should have them. . Otherwise there are many other brands available.

To test you just need to collect a urine sample from Snuggles. COLLECTING A URINE SAMPLE
    Once you have the sample dip the test strip into the urine and read the result exactly 15 seconds later against the colours on the side of the bottle. Anything above a trace needs vet attention.
    Food and insulin are the two things that keep ketones at bay, so always make sure she is eating well and try not to skip doses of insulin.
    Perfectly normal reaction. You are way ahead of most as you have some medical knowledge but with cats you have to learn about a whole new species:eek:…not humans… the first few weeks are the hardest but as you learn, you will start to feel much better. And then it will just become routine.
    Having an un cooperative cat when it comes to testing can be stressful …so I would concentrate in desensitising her by taking her to a designated spot and touching her ears as often as you can and giving her a treat. If you are using the lancing device, I would also take that with you and click it after touching her ears so she can get used to the sound.
    Home Testing Hints and Links

sandysh66 likes this.
  14. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I looked on the Walmart website but I don’t see any ReliOn syringes!

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’ll tag @tiffmaxee to ask her about ordering syringes online. She lives in the US

16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

You cannot order the syringes online from Walmart. They only sell them at their pharmacy and you need to physically go into the store to buy them. Here’s what they look like
    upload_2023-1-17_20-56-22.jpeg

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  17. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Ok..I just called the vets office…she will send a note to the vet but “they have quite a few cats on Vetsulin and they have all done very well”. Kinda made me feel like my research into what’s best for Snuggles doesn’t matter. Ugghh

18. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I know it’s hard not to trust your vet but you are doing the best thing for your cat by not using Vetsulin. Most who start with it switch and waste valuable time. As for ordering online from Walmart, I just went through the Walmart website.

sandysh66 likes this.
  19. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I just looked again and do not see the syringes on the website..is there another syringe that’s suitable that I can order?

20. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I know we’re both in California. You ordered the ReliOn syringes online?? They’re not listed anywhere and when I called Walmart I was told you have to buy them at their pharmacy. I always had to go in and purchase them there. I didn’t need a prescription but they kept them behind the counter.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  21. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Yes you can order the 1/2 unit marked u100 syringes from anywhere. Chewy for example. There’s another site people here order from @Diane Tyler's Mom ?

22. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Insulin syringes are the same anywhere in North America, either U40 or U100. After that it's just a matter of needle length, markings, capacity etc. for a human, dog or cat. Basically any drugstore anywhere will do for now.
    Anything is better than Vetsulin. It's a very old insulin developed for dogs.
    This won't be easy but it doesn't have to be a nightmare. Take a deep breath, come here every day and know that diabetes doesn't kill cats. We all started out just like you wondering how this could have happened. We're here to help you deal with everything including the crying. We can be your new best friends if you take it one day at a time.

23. tiffmaxee

It’s been years. That’s how I got my meter. Actually I used different syringes that are no longer made. Not Relion. Sorry about the confusion.

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

The vet can write you a script for generic Lantus ( Glargine) Just tell the pharmacy you want the generic
    I'll give you can some information , one minute
    You can have the vet write the script for generic lantus ,many members use it
    Here is some info
    Check this out also
    https://www.goodrx.com/insulin-glargine?dosage=five-3ml-prefilled-pens-of-100-units-ml&form=carton&label_override=insulin glargine&quantity=1
    The 5 pens will last about a year, we use the pens just like a vial, you would just insert the syringe it the gray rubber stopper on the pen and draw out your insulin
    Its generic lantus.
    If you get the generic lantus you will need U-100;syringes with half unit markings, we adjust the dose by 0.25 units at a time
    If you need any more information about anything just ask ok:cat:

Or this one also

I see some members will call CVS, Rite Aid, Costco, Walgreen's, to get the price for 5 pens
    Posted by another member
    One members posted this
    . I paid $175 for a box of 5 pens at Walmart pharmacy, but GoodRX coupon says you can get it for around $90 if you have a Rite Aid pharmacy near you.

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

You can order these from ADW Diabetes
    these: I needed my vet to fax them over a script, I don't know if you will have to do the same. If you call them and tell them what you want, give them the coupon code they will contact your vet for you, give your vet a heads up

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1316/surecomfort-u100-syringes-half-unit-31g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct
    DIA10
    [​IMG]
    10% off your next order!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  26. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand not the lancing device
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming
    Look at the lancet under a light and you will see one side is curved upward, that's the side you want to poke with

A video one of our members posted, she is using a pet meter ,strips too expensive plus you have to code it
    A human meter is just fine, most of us use human meters ,that's what our numbers are based on
    When you get your meter can you add the name of it to your signature and spreadsheet

VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar

Here is another link to read
    This is a link to one of our posts on home testing.

As for treats when you test or give insulin
    for treats for testing
    You can give any freeze dried treats they are all low carb
    Tap on this blue link and read post #64 the post numbers are to the right of each post and you can read about the freeze dried treats I listed

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-this-i-need-advice.269452/#post-3007388

You can even give plain boiled chicken pieces

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just take the cap off the pen and use a U100 syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen!
    [​IMG]

28. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Well right now I can’t give my vet’s office a head up because they aren’t wanting to change Snuggles from Vetsulin to Lantus. I have a message sent to vet this morning but I haven’t heard back.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  29. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

This is all new to your cat too. Some people use a lancet device, I free handed it. It will take practice but the more nervous you are the more Snuggles will be expecting it to hurt. Cats are smart like dogs, they will figure out "I'm not doing this to hurt you". I laid out everything in front of Noah first so it wouldn't be a big surprise or look like an ambush. I also sang Hush Lil' Baby. Whatever works for you is the right way.
    With lancets and syringes the higher the gauge (the number) the thinner it will be. You would think a 31 gauge lancet would be less painful but on our second cat it just wasn't making a big enough hole. I ended up poking once with a 28 gauge instead of six pokes with a 31 gauge and no blood. Once you get good at this you join what we call the Vampire club. Nothing about this is fun or funny but it's what has to be done.

sandysh66 and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  30. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Well…I stood my ground and had all my information ready when the vet called..and Snuggles is being prescribed the Lantus! I’m so relieved! She said even though I am switching to low carb food give Snuggles 2u of the Lantus twice daily. She said she was looking at AAHA for information and Vetsulin is the preferred feline insulin. Hmmm

31. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I looked up GoodRX and I believe the link you posted is not for pet prices. When a pop up came on the screen it said not the price for pets. I’m kinda confused. Does anyone have any further information regarding this?

32. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

So…the vet’s office just called and the prescription for Lantus was called into the pharmacy. The pharmacist wanted to make me aware that the pen is only good for 28 days no matter how much is left in the pen I am to discard the pen after 28 days. Is this correct…any thoughts?

33. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

@Bandit's Mom could you set up a spreadsheet for me? Thanks!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  34. tiffmaxee

It is not true about Vetsulin. It’s ok but not even the best for dogs. I am glad you are switching. If you are reducing or eliminating dry food I would wait until you see the reaction to Lantus snd reduce gradually .

35. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Ok! I will transition her diet slowly. Thank you!

36. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Well done standing your ground.
    @Bandit's Mom will be around later today. She lives in India.
    What dose are you giving at the moment. Starting at 2 units of Lantus is too much in my opinion.
    What do you think @tiffmaxee.
    The pharmacist is wrong. As long as you keep the insulin in the fridge, the opened cartridge will be goo d for around 6 months. The unopened ones are good u til the use by date. I know this is true because they are what I used.

37. Diane Tyler's Mom

I know members have used it maybe they didn't say it was for a pet
    Did the pharmacist give you the generic because it is a lot cheaper then the brand name. Also one pen lasts longer than 28 days, that just pertains to humans because they use it a lot more .
    One pen should last you almost 6 months , mine did , just keep it in the middle shelf of your fridge
    Did you get the U-100 syringes with half unit marking yet?

sandysh66 likes this.
  38. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Where are you located?
    I just checked GoodRx for generic glargine and it said nothing found. I then went to another drug and got page to confirm that was not a BOT. I passed test and went back to generic glargine and go page with different prices. There was not pet restriction. Not that the default is real Lantus and they have pet restriction. Make sure in the pulldown menu you select the generic glargine.

39. Diane Tyler's Mom

@sandysh66
    Did you read what Larry just wrote above about the good Rx coupon ?

sandysh66 likes this.
  40. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I am actually getting them Friday…on my day off. I’m going to try to have everything by this weekend. I need to get the U-100 syringes and ketostix. I did get generic..they have to order them..should be in tomorrow. The pharmacist knew the Lantus was for a cat because the vet’s office called them. The girl from the vets office told me the pharmacist wanted her to relay the message that no matter what the circumstances I am to discard the Lantus pen after 28 days due to lower potency.

41. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I am giving Vetsulin 1u right now..if you read my posts it’s been a struggle getting the insulin changed. I was thinking about Lantus 1u..what’s your opinion on that for starting dose? I will try my hardest to get a BS before administering the insulin. My mom passed away and Snuggles was her baby..Day by day I’m trying to get closer to her..she’s 10 and her normal was my mom and my mom’s house. It’s still a transition for Snuggles…she’s not happy with being poked…but can’t say I blame her.

42. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I a
    I am in PA.

43. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Everyone here is a wealth of information. I appreciate all the advice and steering me in the right direction!

44. Diane Tyler's Mom

He's full of crap. Don't listen to that. We all use the pens and one pen should last about 6 months depending on the dose. In the past I was up to almost 3 units and it still lasted 6 months .Believe me ask any member here
    If that was the case we would all be broke by now buying a new pen every 28 days and Tyler wouldn't be in remission since 1-24-21
    @sandysh66

45. Diane Tyler's Mom

Where did you order the U-100 syringes with half unit marking from just curious and when you pick up the insulin how much was it ?
    Once you get everything you should set up your signature ,it's information we need to see about Snuggles
    I think you should set up your signature

click on your name up top above where it says sesrch and then tap on the word signature and add this information
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom.

Do you see mine?
    @sandysh66

46. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bandit's Mom
    Hi Bhooma can you please contact Sandy and set up her SS for her , she will be getting all her supplies this Friday.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  47. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

I’m picking the insulin up Friday. The pharmacy quoted me $133 with GoodRX..but she said it’s not a guaranteed price. I didn’t order the syringes…I’m going to Walmart for those. If Walmart doesn’t have them I’m going to get them from vet’s office. Do I need a script for Walmart? I will set up my signature once I’m beginning to transition everything. Do you think I should start to transition once I have a few days off? @Diane Tyler's Mom

48. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I am sure it is a big adjustment for her and I’m sur she is missing your mother
    As I can’t see the blood glucose numbers to give you an opinion about the dose…this is what I would do
    If you are feeding an all wet low carb diet I would start with 0.5 unit dose Lantus
    If you are feeding dry food diet I would start with 1 unit Lantus
    Make sure to try and get a test in before the dose is given. You will need to keep giving that dose unless she drops too low(under90)

49. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Ok! Yes, she was my mom’s baby. My mom never had to worry about her because from day 1 I always reassured my mom if anything ever happened I would keep her. So, it was quite the experience on the 8 hour trip to bring her home with me. I’m going to give Snuggles a mix of food and transition her to all wet food. @Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  50. Diane Tyler's Mom

@sandysh66
    Was that price for just one pen?
    I'm not sure if you need a script for Walmart for the syringes . Let me do a search here
    Your vet will most likely not have the syringes with half unit markings or even the U-100 syringes
    Here is the other pic of the syringes from Walmart either box is ok
    [​IMG]

51. Diane Tyler's Mom

Tagging Bron for this question
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

52. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy, welcome to FDMB! :)
    Will send you a PM with the details I need to set up your spreadsheet and signature. Look for it in the Inbox at the top right corner of this page.

53. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I never needed a prescription for the syringes at Walmart but as I said before, you can’t order online you have to go into the pharmacy. Call first if you’re going this route to make sure they have it as they ran out often.

that’s total BS about Lantus and 28 days. My pens always lasted me over 6 months and up to year of unopened.

54. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I would start with 1 unit of Lantus only. I’m sure @tiffmaxee would agree, but let’s see :cat:

55. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Not sure what state you’re in but I ordered my Lantus from Canada. 5 pens for $189 with shipping

sandysh66 likes this.
  56. Bron and Sheba (GA)

How long has Snuggles been on insulin and how long has he had the 1 unit.
    Did you manage to get any BG tests done when in 1 unit Vetsulin?
    Will You be transitioning the food from dry to wet low carb when you start the Lantus?

57. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Snuggles has been on 1u of Vetsulin since Monday. I got one BS and it was 360. I was told by vet not to worry about getting a BS. But, I’m hoping to have all supplies this weekend and would like to start Lantus next Friday…since I have 3 days off and could be home all those days. I would like to transition to low carb food when I start the Lantus. Right now she is on dry food and Hills prescription c/d wet food. Any thought? Should I transition the food change slow to see how she reacts to Lantus? I’m just so worried about her BS dropping when I’m at work. Also, start at Lantu 1u per advice here??

58. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

59. tiffmaxee

I’d start with 1 unit also. It will take 5-7/days for the depot to build and you to see if it’s a good dose. Usually you don’t see a strong reaction to the first few doses of lantus but it is possible.

60. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.