Help me please.............

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lucky12, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky12

Lucky12 New Member

I am very upset and sad and don't know where to turn. I got to doing research and ran across this website. My cat Lucky is a 12 year old male cat. This past weekend he got so sick. I did everything I could for him. He wouldn't eat anything so I was feeding him liquids through a dropper. I kept him in the bathroom with a vaporizer. He has lost a lot of weight. I am distraught and don't know where to turn. I took him to the vet this morning and his blood work showed that his sugar level is 380. I know that is extremely high. He also has an upper respiratory infection so he can't breathe to good so he is staying in the hospital until he is not dehydrated anymore and they can fix his sugar levels. My question is what do I need to do once I get him home? She said I will have to give him shots and special foods and check his sugar. I can't afford to go out and spend all kinds of money on his meds and stuff to check his sugar with. Does anyone know somewhere you can go to get help with this. Someone please tell me what I need to do. I AM SCARED!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Lucky12

2. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Feline diabetes is extremely treatable and does not have to cost you an arm and a leg. You do not need "special" diabetic foods, nor do you need to take your kitty to the vet for special monitoring (unless there are other health issues).

First... what type of food do you feed your kitty? A wet diet of low carb high protein foods is best for most cats. Many of us feed Fancy Feast or Friskies.

Second... learn to hometest the blood sugar. We will help you. Think of kitty as your child. You would not shoot insulin into your human child without first testing their blood sugar level. No different with your furbaby.

Others will be along with links and more suggestions. You're in good hands here!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    welcome to the FDMB.
    It's ok to be scared, we all were but then we found this board and and things got better. You can get through this too.

You mentioned Lucky has an infection. Often times, an infection will raise the BG levels. Did your vet mention this at all? Or just diagnosed diabetes?
    Good for you for home testing, that is a major first step.

As Sherri said, treatment does not have to break the bank, typically thou - vet visits for BG monitoring (curves) , and vet prescribed food will.

Do a bit of reading while you're here, while others see your thread throughout the day. Check back here and post all questions you gather, ok?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a very manageable disease. We have all been where you are - scared and feeling lost. First, go to the Post from Cindy and Mousie at the top of the page: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6 You can ask her for a new diabetic starter kit. It will have a meter and strips and other things you need for hometesting.

Then you need to start reading. And printing off what you have read so you can read it again. Here's a video on hometesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 The FAQ's are on the main page of the site and will give you lots of info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm

You do not need to feed special prescription food. This site, written by a vet, will give you lots of info: http://www.catinfo.org Most of us feed wet, lo carb Fancy Feast or Friskies, which is very economical.

This is a steep learning curve, but we all made it through with lots of support. You can do this; we can help.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lucky and welcome to the group.

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

Something to keep in mind, infections can cause the BG's to be elevated and sometimes when the infection is cleared up the BG's may return to normal. However, he still may be a diabetic and the infection just exacerbated things.

Please note that spending time at the vet to "fix his sugar levels" cannot be done. The only way to get your cat under control is by home testing and giving insulin at home.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.
    [color]

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).
    [color]
    Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:
    [color]
    Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.[color]

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

We know exactly how you are feeling. Please note that all of us have had this shock and came here for help... we've all found it and will now help you.

What you need to do at this moment is know that your cat is safe, diabetes is completely treatable and the 380 level is not really bad - yes, high and diabetic but some are diagnosed with much higher numbers.

Sometimes infection can raise the blood glucose levels so you do want to have that infection cleared up. In the meantime, that number does necessitate treatment of diabetes.

Can you tell us, was there a fructosamine test done to determine diabetes or did they just test the blood with a meter and get the 380? This is important. The fructosamine test determines whether or not the BG has been high for the past several weeks, not just today at the vet.

Take some time to read through the FDMB Frequently Asked Questions <--- linky

This will tell you a lot about the disease and how it is treated. Read it twice and post here with any questions you have.

You do not have to buy food from the vet. A low carbohydrate food that does not contain grains can be purchased at your local grocery story or pet store. Canned/wet food of any kind (preferably low carb) is better than any dry. So you can check out some food charts <-- linky to see what kind of low carb (under 10%) food fits into your budget.

You will be given some insulin. Please read the FAQ I linked above to learn about insulin and how you want to start at a low dose and only increase that slowly. To know how and when to increase the insulin, you want to work with your vet and the people of this forum that use that insulin (whatever one it may be- but tell your vet you do not want vetsulin/caninsulin). To monitor your cat's BG, you can buy an inexpensive human glucometer and strips from your local pharmacy and test the blood yourself on a regular basis (before each shot and some spot checks in between)... No need for regular vet visits.

There is a steep learning curve and it's all quite overwhelming at first... But you will be glad you tried it. It becomes routine and a special bond will develop between you and your kitty that you never imagined.

Read and ask and read and ask.... We've all been there and we all want to help... because we'll all had help.... And hopefully, in a few days, weeks or months, you'll be giving inspiring advice to newbies too.

Best of luck.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Please go to the top of this forum and request a home testing starter kit from Cindy & Mousie.

That will help some with the start-up expenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.