? HELP Mimi 8/25 AMPS 269 PMPS 251- given CERENIA at vet today, was hungry after, now not-PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...e-cycle-amps-296-pmps-70.233953/#post-2617214

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-got-home-from-trip-help.234089/#post-2619020

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...nes-are-1-1-pancreatitis.234088/#post-2619366

So here are the links in case anyone reading this needs reference- the first one is before issues started happening.

Ill give a brief recap- I went away for about 32 hours- I started Mimi on a "vacation dose" of .75 (was on 1.5 before, earned a reduction to 1.25 because of numbers prior to that but hadn't taken new dose yet, just lowered to .75) - and before I left she seemed fine (appetite wise)

Came home to all 3 of her feeding trays still full (this was monday 8/24)- the petsitter misunderstood what I meant when I told her about amount to leave and left double in each tray so it is possible she ate some of it but I know my girl and she would have at least devoured the first tray - it looked like it wasn't touched too much. Tested ketones and it was at 1.1

I gave her turkey slices which she did eat but not very fast- as well as some sardines which she ate slowly as well...
    following morning I noticed she had eaten most if not all of the food in the autofeeder- I can't recall what I put in there I think it was her raw formula, and seemed to have most of her appetite back but still wanted to get her tested for pancreatitis, so I made a vet appointment for 4 pm that day (8/25)
    Vet forced me into a fructosamine even though I declined it, and did a full blood work up, with pancreatitis testing, administered fluids and gave her a shot of anti-nausea Cerernia.
    She seemed to have her appetite fully back when I came home, ate a lot, still didnt go back to raw formula because I was nervous she wouldn't be into it, until dinner time PS when she got her regular raw which she seemed to eat. Ate again at +2, but shortly after that was meowing at me as if she was still hungry- she seemed hungry PMPS and forward come to think of it, but knew a +4 would be coming soon in the feeder to just let her wait.
    Heard feeder go off at 3:30 am (which it was supposed to go off at 2 am- so not sure what happened there)
    either way, I forgot to shut my door so mimi wasn't in my room at the time she was out in the living room with Batman, but didnt come running for the food even though she seemed hungry before hours ago now-
    I tried giving it to her with my hand which she started licking a little but quickly lost interest, so I went right for the sardines in a can and she did slurp some up and eat a little but still, not my girls usual appetite- she can ALWAYS ALWAYS eat...

So now I am here wondering what is going on- we find out the test for pancreatitis tomorrow. Maybe thats what is bothering her, but in the mean time I thought the Cerenia would have helped with the nausea.

tested ketones 8/25 at 10 pm and got .7 - haven't tested again yet. Kind of nervous to because its my last strip until amazon sends me more and also it requires so much blood if shes not feeling well I don't want to do that to her right now. I can't imagine it went up that much since then though?

Why isn't she eating? Could it be shes sick with something else? The cerenia is supposed to last 24 hours, so what is happening?

@Marje and Gracie

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Wendy&Neko

@tiffmaxee

@Chris & China (GA)

@carfurby

@Critter Mom

(I can use all the help, input and support I can get right now, something is wrong with my girl) :(

going back to bed for now...

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

The Cerenia should help is she's nauseous. I don't know anything about pancreatitis. Here are some tips for when you cat is not eating. Maybe something will help. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I really don't have any experience with inappetence in cats, I'm sorry. But at least my comment will bump your post back up to the top...I do hope you find a solution. I guess I can only say, if it were me, I'd probably be on the phone trying to get another appointment with my vet to discuss the lack of appetite and the ketones.

Sending prayers...:bighug:

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If it’s pancreatitis, the inappetence can last for days or weeks cerenia works for 24 hours. For many cats it works best for vomiting. I used ondansetron for Max’s because for most it works better for nausea and can be given every 8 hours. I would call your vet this morning, explain she’s not eating . and see whether you can get cerenia pills and an RX for ondansetron. In the meantime keep trying to coax her to eat small amounts at a time. I hope she starts feeling better and keep us posted. :bighug:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. Mimis mom

only thing is I have to work today and I don’t want her to not eat while I’m gone...
    Her ketones went down to .6

her brother just threw up the raw formula- and she ate some of it- I heard her in the middle of the night start to eat some but again not as much as usual.

6. tiffmaxee

Sounds like she’s eating small amounts on her own. That’s good. Smart cat!

7. Mimis mom

You think cause maybe the food isn’t a good batch and she knows it?
    I gave her sardines and she ate those. Her BG has also been high now for a week so maybe that affects the appetite? Like if it was lower she’d be hungrier too?
    I called vital essentials and they are looking into the batch to see if it was made differently or they have received any other complaints.

my mother came over with fancy feast and told me I’m “killing my cat” giving her “raw meat”... of course she’s been telling me that for months saying I’m crazy for giving them raw blah blah that she read somewhere it’s bad blah blah... (my mother lives next door to me btw so she’s always over)
    I might have to try the fancy feast if this keeps happening.
    Why does everyone here like fancy feast can I ask?
    The one she got her is 4 carbs - it’s like the flakes salmon one.

8. tiffmaxee

It’s hard to say what the issue is. I know Susan Thixton removed VE from her list. She also removed Primal but I still feed it to mine as they have novel protein which one needs. I like Small Batch but the frozen is only available on the West coast. I’d see what the blood tests show and what your vet says before blaming the food although if she ate it when nauseous she might not want it now. The low carb ff is what I fed Max and at the time some were also low phosphorus but I don’t think so any more. If you want to continue with raw, you could buy your own at a grocery store and add EZ Complete if you think the food is the issue. That can also be added to gently cooked meat.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I don't - I fed raw. FF is cheap and decent carbs for a diabetic which is why some people feed it. It is also high in phosphorus if your cat has kidney disease. Making your own raw is really easy with EZ Complete.

As Elise said, the blood work results will help you know what you are working with. If pancreatitis, she may need some pain meds too. The fact that she's eating is good.

10. Mimis mom

don't you need a meat grinder to make the raw? I know Dr Pierson on cat info has an entire tutorial. The raw I use doesn't have anything but the muscle, heart, liver and bones- so If I had all of that would I need EZ complete?

11. tiffmaxee

You don’t need a grinder with EZ Complete. You buy the protein already ground at the market you don’t use bone. The supplement EZ contains everything else your cat needs.

12. Mimis mom

is there a recipe or directions- should I google EZ complete? So why would I do that- so I can get human grade meats?

13. tiffmaxee

Google food fur life.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Instructions to make raw with FoodFurLife. Buy meat (I bought at organic exotic meat butcher), measure weight, add appropriate water and FoodFurlife. Mix it all together. Measure out amount needed daily and freeze in separate containers. A kitchen scale is handy. Otherwise, easy peasy.