Help please! Accidentally administered insulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Afton Jenkins, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Afton Jenkins

Afton Jenkins New Member

Hi everyone! New here. Our cat, Lasagna, has been diagnosed with diabetes and we've been treating him for about a month. Current regimen is 2 units twice a day. We are also using the Freestyle Libre to monitor levels. Vet advice was to not give insulin if his numbers are around or below 200 at meal time.

This evening we were rushing around, doing too much, didn't scan before feeding and administering insulin. Realized about 15 min later, scanned, he was at 142. We immediately added more food (higher carb dry food) to his bowl (still has his normal lower carb wet food in it) to try to counteract...

What else should we do? Should I try to rub honey on his gums preemptively? Do we need to take him to the emergency vet? It's nighttime here, so monitoring him through the middle of the night will be tricky.

2. Afton Jenkins

Afton Jenkins New Member

Update, we gave him more dry food, plus rubbed honey on his gums. Reading ~100.

3. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Seems it is about an hour Later than your last post? What are his numbers now ?

4. Afton Jenkins

Afton Jenkins New Member

Still fluctuating at or below 100

5. Lisa and little

Are you able to test through the night?

6. Afton Jenkins

Afton Jenkins New Member

I guess I'll be staying up all night! A few nights ago, we woke up and scanned him, and he'd been reading 'LO' on the freestyle for a couple hours, and he was acting totally fine. We have no idea why that happened, there was nothing abnormal about his food or insulin the previous night...

7. Lisa and little

I do not see a spread sheet with test numbers set up in your signature. Do you have one? Also- there are NOT always symptoms when numbers are low. You have to keep testing and feeding through regardless of lack of symptoms.
    looks like I’ll be up all night myself as I think I may have “double shot” my girl which is truly frightening.
    This COVID brain fog is real ….

8. Lisa and little

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

10. Lisa and little

Ty was concerned.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.