? Help please - Myrtle amps 322, +7 362, +9 383, pmps 398

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Myrtlesmum, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Until mid-July every day for Myrtle was a blue/green day although about 6 months ago we had to go up from 0.25 units to 0.5 to keep her controlled. Mid July things started to go wrong.. Ended up she needed a couple of teeth pulled - waiting for the surgery her numbers were climbing and a bit all over the place. She had her dental 5 days ago and her numbers are worse!! Yesterday she went very low and today she's staying very high... I would love if someone would take a look at her spreadsheet and give me any thoughts. ( I've only filled the spreadsheet from mid-July as everything was going really well until then). she's on gabapentin for pain (vet doesn't want to give anything else as her kidneys are borderline). Thanks so much

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If it's only been 5 days, that's really not that long. It can take several weeks for the inflammation to reduce enough to start effecting the blood glucose.

Did your vet do x-rays before and after the dental? Sometimes if they leave a root or a bit of tooth under the gums, you can get a heck of an infection.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Thanks Chris - I don't know if xrays were done. She has been on antibiotics for a couple of weeks now though (and still is) so I wouldn't have thought infection would be a problem. I'm just freaking out as I have never seen her numbers this high or difficult to get under control before.

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Would you mind editing your title to include date/kitty's name/AMPS?

So far this morning we have 3 condos/threads that are titled the same thing - dosing question or help with dosing...in an hour or three we won't know who's on first or what's happening...it's so confusing - or maybe it's just me?

Please see this helpful PSA :) https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-26-psa-please-read.231511/

Myrtlesmum likes this.
  5. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Chris. Please check with your vet to see if post-procedure X-rays were done. Just because Myrtle's been on an antibiotic, doesn't mean it was the right antibiotic to address the infection. With her having been on an antibiotic for at least a week or so prior to the dental, it doesn't look like whichever antibiotic was that it brought numbers down. Either there wasn't an infection or it wasn't the right antibiotic to do the job.

The other thing that is going on is that Myrtle bounced. The drop to the 60s from an AMPS in the 300s has caused Myrtle's pancreas and liver to overreact and release a stored form of glucose and counterregulatory hormones. This causes numbers to spike upward. It can take roughly 3 days for a bounce to clear. Hopefully, Myrtle's numbers will start to improve. If not, you way want to have the vet give her mouth a check to make sure everything is as it should be.

Of course, she may need more insulin.

8. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Thanks Sienne - I didn’t realise it took so long for a bounce to clear. I’ll definitely take her back to the vet if she’s not better in a day or so - if I can get her in for an appointment. Appreciate the help.