? Help please! Timing of insulin today

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by MartyJean & Skitty, Apr 20, 2019.

1. MartyJean & Skitty

MartyJean & Skitty New Member

Hello all...a family situation came up today and I have to be out of the house when Skitty is due for his PM dose. I can give it to him about 3 hours early or 2 hours late. I just increased him from 2 to 2.5 units four days ago, but his BG is still in the pink/yellow range. When should I give him his dose? Thank you, you wonderful people!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hope I caught you! I think if it were me, I'd hold off and give the shot 2 hours late tonight. 3 hours early is a bit more than I would risk unless I was there to monitor.

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  3. MartyJean & Skitty

Thank you!! I appreciate your response. I will do that and try to get home earlier. This diagnosis sure changes our lives!

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes it does especially when things just come up suddenly that you can't plan for but it happens to all of us! With Vetsulin shooting up to an hour early is usually ok (of course taking kitty's BG at the time into account. :)

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  5. MartyJean & Skitty

Great to know! I'm reading everything on this forum and trying to absorb it all. I'm also trying to balance this knowledge with my vet who does not respect this knowledge. I'm totally respectful with him, but I realize I need to find a new vet. I asked him if I could get syringes with 1/2 unit markings so I could adjust the insulin more precisely, but he refused! He wanted me to increase a whole unit while I was weaning Skitty off dry food. I refused. He doesn't see the value of home testing. Time to find a new vet! Thank you again, your kitty is adorable. :bighug:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

Menace says thank you and so do I! And when you have a moment we'd love to see a pic of your furry sweetie! :D

Your vet may be a great vet for most things but in all likelihood hasn't/ doesn't have a lot of feline diabetics in his practice. From this experience or lack thereof he may not be up to date on best practices or even the latest research but he may be a great vet for more common issues. I think the trick is to try to persuade your vet to work WITH you as a partner rather than as a dictator. If he's willing to do that, keep him. If not, then maybe another vet would be more to your liking. FWIW, a lot of vets don't seem to realize it's possible and preferable to make dose changes of less than 1u.

7. MartyJean & Skitty

Excellent feedback re the vet, I'm going to try your approach. Your baby has been OTJ for a while now! I'm hoping my Skitty will get ther some day!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Fingers crossed for you! Go Skitty! :D