Help! Should Iskip insulin until I call Vet tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stewie's Mom ID, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Ok. He is at 272 as of 9:49 PM. Not going to give insulin until am.

2. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe that's good even though it's a safe number to shoot.
    Now, you can stay on track with your schedule, get some rest and give Stewie's ears a break tonight :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Thanks. Poor baby. I had to shoot him 4 times to get blood. He was so unhappy and meowing. I'm gonna leave him till 7am. I'll consider tonight a "fur shot". Thank you. I'll see how he is tomorrow am. Goodnight all. Thanks for being here. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Hope you all sleep tight

5. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

You too and Thank you again for your advise

6. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Ok, so Stewie tested bg of 449 this am. So I gave him 2 units of his prozinc this am at 7:05. Should I move to the prozinc forum today and post there until things regulate better for Stewie? I also will try hard again for a +6 but he seems to conveniently hide at that time. I'm gonna put a plan together. ;)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  7. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

That's a great idea.
    Also, it would be great if you can get Stewie's spreadsheet set up. It makes it very easy for you and anyone helping you to easily follow along, see the numbers and look for patterns
    Here is a link with instructions:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Give a shout out for help you need. You can title your post "need help setting up spreadsheet" and someone will chime in :bighug:

Stewie's Mom ID likes this.
  8. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Chris set up a SS for me yesterday. I just got into my office to work on it. Thanks for being here for me. I am stressed until I get the hang of all this bouncing. Blood draws are still not perfect. I had to do 3 pokes again this am. Poor Stewie, I hope he still loves me after all of this. On the upside, he is cleaning himself again which he hadn't done in a long time. I brush him daily too and his fur is getting better. :bighug::bighug:

9. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Ok, I think I got Stewie's Spreadsheet setup and put into my signature. If someone wants to see if it is accessible and done correctly, I would surely appreciate that. Thank you!! :)

10. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

I just did a +6 on Stewie and his bg is 70. He is really bouncing!!! Yikes

11. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

I just ordered some U40 1/2 unit syringes in case we need to play with his dosing. He really dropped from this am. He was 449 at AMPS then he dropped to bg of 70 at +6. I gave him 2 temptation cat treats with his food. I am going to get some of the ff carby grilled cans to have on hand. I hope his numbers come up for PMPS. This is so stressful since I am so new to all of this. :(

12. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

It's really common for relatively newly diagnosed cats to have their numbers be all over the place. Their bodies are just getting used to learning how to work the insulin (which is a hormone) and also getting used to blood sugar numbers that are now lower than what they were used to before they were diagnosed.
    If you want to look at Uncle's spreadsheet, you can see how all over the place he was when just starting out and then after a while settling in.
    I know testing had been stressful for you and Stewie but it is something that must be done to be able to appropriately manage the diabetes and avoid a potentially life threatening hypo event. I think I read in another post that you are warming his ears up before the test, that usually helps. Maybe there are more tricks and tips out there...?

13. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I'm not experienced enough to help with dosing recommendations (except when NOT to shoot ;))
    @Kris & Teasel is very experienced with Prozinc and will probably be of great help over at the Prozinc forum

14. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Oh BTW, I just checked and saw the spreadsheet. The link worked!!!
    Hmm, saw the 195 at PMPS. Technically that's another skip number just barely...o_O
    Can't tell if you skipped, no number entered for insulin.
    Some experienced people may have recommended to skip again or do something called "stalling". That's a discussion for another day though if you already decided to skip and fed Stewie dinner that's fine :bighug:

15. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Thank you so much for checking in. I was putting a post on the Prozinc forum that I haven't finished. I would rather stay on this thread for now with all this history here. I dont know what to do. I fed him and he just had some diahrrea. I also don't know if I should skip tonight with Him being so close to 200 or give a smaller dose? I know not to shoot under that so I have not. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! He finished eating at 7:30ish.

16. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Ok, I will go to Prozinc forum. Its getting later since he ate so.maybe I will leave him alone till am.

17. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you can give a smaller dose because he’s very close to 200. Try 1.5 u or even 1.0 u. Get a +2 test afterward if you can.

18. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Oh Thank you! I posted over in Prozinc forum too. I will try for 1 unit. Then what do I do tomorrow am? 2 units, if he's over 200. What is a safe time to shoot after eating. He got out back. I have to get him back inside. Ugh!!

19. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

He is inside! Is it to late to do 1 unit at 8:30pm and then dose again at 7 am if he's got good numbers? I know it's a 12 hour insulin but wasn't sure if I could do 1 unit in am at 7 again and then see where we are at 7Pm tomorrow night. I have got grandkids coming all day and workers repairing here too.

20. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Thank you. I will look at your SS. Thank you very much!

21. Stewie's Mom ID

Stewie's Mom ID Member

Holy cow! Thanks for that insight. Uncle's numbers were all over the place like you said. I feel better and Thank you! I love the name Uncle for a cat by the way. :). Thanks for all your help so far. :bighug:

22. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I know, it looks crazy. I just want to try to reassure you that Stewies's numbers are pretty typical looking for a kitty just starting out.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.