Help! Socrates' hypo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ilianna and Socrates, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

Hi everyone! Happy holidays! Please help!Socrates had a sudden drop today.As you can see on his spreadsheet,and after the vet's recomendation,we switched from 1 iu Lantus x 2 to 1.25 iu.It made sense since last months his numbers where around 380.
    After a week that everything was fine,I did a ramdom test at + 4 today and ..046!I did everything the group suggests in such cases and at +8 he had 107 and at +1 10 he had 301.Of course I gave carbs(dry food) in order for his BG to rise that much.Now I must shoot again ,what do I do???

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! welcome! - it looks like you got answers on Health - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/socrates-hypo.240554/

You may also want to read through the stickies at the top of this board - all of them are great but the low number sticky may be worth a read. When Jax goes below 50, I test every 20-30 minutes to get him in the 50s and then I test every 30 minutes or so in the 50s to make sure he won't drop again.

Hope Socrates stays safe and you have a wonderful day :bighug:

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Thanks for coming over here. Get the PMPS and if pink you will be able to shoot. Post the PMPS.

4. Ilianna and Socrates

483!!!

5. tiffmaxee

Shoot the reduced dose of 1.0 and get a +1 and +2.

6. Ilianna and Socrates

oh no! Iwaited for a while and since no answer I gave him 1.25 again..Buy he is at 483 so I quess it s ok?? I am desperate , I can;t get this cat regulated..

7. tiffmaxee

It’s okay. Sometimes we shoot through the bounce when high. His new dose is 1.0 from now on until either it needs to be lowered because he drops under 90 or when the curve in 7 days tells us to increase. Post the +2 result.

8. tiffmaxee

Lantus is dosed based upon how low a dose takes your cat. You need to get mid cycle tests to see what is happening so you are not hit with surprises. A +2 is a good test to get. If it’s lower than the amps/PMPS more tests later will be a good idea. If higher it’s less likely he will drop too low.

9. Ilianna and Socrates

539 !! omg! What now? I think I overdid it with the dry food...

10. tiffmaxee

He’s bouncing from dropping to the low bg. That 539 was at +2? Totally normal. The high numbers might last 4-6 cycles or clear quickly. There’s no way to know. Same some strips and don’t test until morning. Please read the yellow stickies at the top of this forum.

Here’s how to post your title.
    12/26 Socrates PMPS 483, 539@+2

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/posting-guidelines-please-read.231511/

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

Ilianna and Socrates likes this.
  11. Ilianna and Socrates

Thank you soooo much!! I am new to the group but I am so glad to be here!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Welcome over here. Good catch on that 46 today! And good luck with the new dose of 1.0 units tomorrow.

13. tiffmaxee

14. Ilianna and Socrates

Hello! update on my sweet boy : AMPS 439. If I hadn't found this amazing group I would be very upset,but thanks to tiffmaxee I know this will last for a while. I gave 1 unit.When do I test again?At + 6?

15. Wendy&Neko

The +2 or +3 can be a helpful test with Lantus. If the +2 is about the same as the preshot, it'll be a normal Lantus cycle with some downward curve. If the +2 is quite a bit lower, it'll be an active cycle and a good idea to get more tests in. If it's higher than preshot, still bouncing, you don't need to test. Or you can try getting tests between +4 and +7. Not all cats nadir at +6.

16. Ilianna and Socrates

+3 we are at 301. Btw,what is the difference between a normal lantus cycle and an active one? Sorry but I am still leraning

17. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You are welcome to ask as many questions as you want :)

An active cycle is one where there is more downward action than normal. Where the curve is steeper than the normal gentle Lantus curve and therefore a possibility of the BG going lower than usual. Those cycles need more monitoring.

18. tiffmaxee

It will be interesting to see how many cycles until the bounce clears. Then we see what the 1.0 dose will do for him.

19. Ilianna and Socrates

HI! +9 222, PMPS 160....o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O do I shoot?

20. Bandit's Mom

Will you be able to monitor him tonight?
    @tiffmaxee

21. Ilianna and Socrates

i can do that but honestly last night due to his hypo I didn't get a lot of sleep and I work all day tomorrow,so I'rather skip the dose....

22. Bandit's Mom

OK. Safety first. You don't have enough info on him yet.

I am also wondering if you need to go down to a lower dose and work your way up from that. Like 0.5U or so. @Wendy&Neko @tiffmaxee ?

23. tiffmaxee

Hi. Let me look at your spreadsheet. Be right back.

24. tiffmaxee

I think I would go down to .75 and see if that enables you to shoot every cycle. Sorry. Yes. Skip tonight. He will likely bounce in the morning.

25. tiffmaxee

Put NS in the dose box.

26. Ilianna and Socrates

I am expecting about 430-480 in the morning but I am scared to shoot tonight,because I am tired and scared of falling asleep.So in the morning if he has above 200 (which he definately will) I give 1 unit or .75? I am asking because I live in Greece and most of you will be sleeping by the time of AMPS.:cat::cat:

27. tiffmaxee

Start the .75 in the morning and stay at that dose for a week unless he drops under 90. If that happens we reduce again.

28. Bandit's Mom

Just to add to what Elise said above, you want to shoot a dose that you can shoot regularly without too many skips. Lantus is not dosed on pre-shot values, but based on how low it takes a cat. Frequent changes to the dose disrupts the depot and we will not have an understanding of which dose is working.

I should be around for the AMPS. Tag or PM me if you need any help. I am in India. I am 3.5 hours ahead of you. You could also tag/PM @Bron and Sheba (GA) - one of our senior members who is in Australia. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  29. Ilianna and Socrates

@Bandit's Mom Good morning! AMPS 482,as expected!! I am starting to get to know this cat :cat::cat::cat: So...0.75 or 1 ?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  30. Wendy&Neko

Elise suggested 0.75 units - let's try sticking to it for a week.

31. Ilianna and Socrates

Pookie (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  32. tiffmaxee

I see the bounce is breaking. I hope you get a before bed test.

33. Ilianna and Socrates

AMPS 252,gave 0.75 units. +6 309...How can this happen? Isn't + 6 supposed to be lower than Amps?

34. tiffmaxee

Still bouncing. It might be clearing this cycle.

35. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome here! We are glad to have you and Socrates.

Can you please start a new thread today? Here is info on posting in this insulin support group. We don’t let keep the same thread going for days as they do on the Main Health forum. We also link the previous day’s thread in the new one. Please let us know if you need help with that. Thank you!

36. Ilianna and Socrates

Thank you for your advice .I will start a new thread tomorrow because now it is 21.43 where I live.Please tell me how to link the previous one...

37. tiffmaxee

Just copy the url from the top and paste it on your new condo in the morning.

38. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Thank you!!

I’ll elaborate on Elise’s instructions.

Open the thread for which you want to copy the link, click on the browser address, and copy.
    Open a new thread and in the first text box, type a title such as “Yesterday” or “Previous Condo” or something similar. Then highlight it.
    In the tool bar above the text box, click on the hyperlink icon which looks like a horizontal paperclip (7th icon from your left).
    Paste the browser address in the box and click “insert”.

Now you are ready to fill in the subject line and write your post.