Help! Stinky Catfood House

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HereKittyKittyKitty, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

So now that my cat gets wet cat food (lowest carb 9 Lives pates), my house stinks. It's absolutely horrible!

How do I keep the open cat food from stinking up the house?

Thank you.

2. Daphne

Daphne Member

I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell and I also hate the smell of cat food, so I feel your pain.

Here's how you can limit cat food odors in your house:

First, bag cat food cans and leftovers before putting them in the trash. If you just throw them straight into the trash, the smell will keep coming from the trash can until you take it out. I use the cheap black doggy poop bags or reuse bags from the grocery store.

Feed distinct meals at set times where you allow the cat to eat for about 10 minutes and then immediately clean up. Pack away leftovers in air-tight containers to keep them fresh and prevent them from stinking up your fridge. Clean away any messy bits the cat left in the eating area. Wash the feeding bowl and utensils with fragrance-free soap and in cold water. Rinse the sink of any cat food residue. You may wish to spray the sink with diluted white vinegar to help prevent the drain from stinking and to neutralize odors.

I then open the windows in the room where this all happened for 2-5 minutes. Yes, regardless of the weather. It cuts down on the smell very quickly and the cats enjoy getting their sniff on in the windows.

It sounds like a lot, but it's faster and easier to clean up if you do it immediately before the food gets crusty. Doing this all quickly also limits how long any cat food is exposed to the air in your home, so you have less stink for less time.

You will probably find your drain begins to stink after a while. You might need to clean your drain more often now that you're feeding canned food. How long it takes varies, just pay attention and you'll know when you need to clear it.

If your cat's needs or your living situation dictates that you must leave wet food out for grazing, it's going to stink as long as it's out. There are special bowls out there with lids that lift when a cat with a specific RFID approaches; the lid would theoretically help keep the food fresh and reduce odors, but I have never used them so I cannot recommend them personally. You may want to consider a HEPA air filter. If you look at other kinds of air filters, such as ionizing purifiers, be sure to look up how much ozone they produce; ozone is also known as "smog" and is not good for people or pets.

3. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Daphne--

Thank you.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

WRT disposal of leftovers, if the weather's warm I stick them in a baggie, pop them into the freezer and only put them into the outdoor bin the night before it's due to be emptied. Stops the outdoor bin from honking during the summer months. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.