? Help with numbers! (newbie who may have shot high)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harukyo, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to home testing. The first tests were a breeze and this second day has been tears and frustration. Kyo's levels have been mostly flat from the 200-299 range from AMPS and PMPS but for today's PM shot she read 153mg/dL. I gave her the usual 1.5u ProZinc that she has been on and now that I'm reading more about how youre supossed to stall feeding and test again I am concerned that I gave her a dose too high instead of skipping the dose. Please help, I am so stressed out and trying desperately to absorb so much information in so little time. Shes on Purina DM dry, (I know), I'll be moving her to FF classics wet once I get more BG readings and learn how to adjust insulin. I have Karo syrup on hand and I'm going to test her again at +3, I just need help interpreting the tests that I DO have. Please refer to my spreadsheet.

Thank you for reading, any help/advice I will be so thankful for.

2. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Firstly don't panic, take a deep breath. You are testing so that will tell you whether you need to intervene with HC food or Karo syrup. I don't use ProZinc so I'm can't really help you out with this but I would suggest you edit your Thread title to add the ? prefix. To do this go to Edit Thread, you will see before your title "no prefix" if you click on this you get a drop down box with no prefix, ? or 911. Select ?, this will draw more attention. Best of luck, hope Kyo stays safe for you.

Harukyo likes this.
  3. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Thank you so much I will do that right now.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd test again no later than +2.....usually the first few times someone shoots a lower than usual Pre-shot, we suggest testing at +1 and +2 so if you need to intervene, you can catch it early

AliceMeowliss (GA) and Harukyo like this.
  5. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Thank you for the advice! @Chris & China (GA) I am definitely planning on a test at +2! In another thread I crossposted to the ProZinc forum I was told that if her +2 is higher than her PMPS then we may be out of the water. Do you think I should leave some access to food overnight just in case?

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I have been where you are! As someone said to me, there is a steep learning curve with FD. It can be very overwhelming at first but remember you are in control because you are testing and you have the tools you need. Sometimes it helps me to reread the hypo stickie, and I’ve never actually fully needed it. Because I was testing. :)

Harukyo likes this.
  7. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

@AliceMeowliss&Cassandra Just a reminder of that from another person is really nice right now, I appreciate that so much. I will be back in 30ish minutes to give an update for our +2 reading!

8. AliceMeowliss (GA)

The answer I usually got, to my dismay, but which was always right: you don’t know until you test next. You might need to stay up awhile after that or set alarms and take naps, or things could be alright. You will hurt your brain worrying ahead of time when you just don’t have the data yet to dictate which direction to go.... with a little more time and data you’ll get to know your cat specifically and be able to make more educated guesses. Someone will be up and check in with you tonight as you go through sorting this out. :)

CandyH & Catcat and Harukyo like this.
  9. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Okay! We got our reading, its at 136mg/dL @ +2.

10. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Fed 1/4 a can of FF classics pate (Ocean white fish) @ 12:40PM (in between +2 and +3). Reading at +3 was 93mg/dL.

11. Chris & China (GA)

I'm glad you fed her some.....but I'd get a +4 and if she's still dropping, it may be awhile before you can safely get some sleep.

Harukyo likes this.
  12. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

@Chris & China (GA) okay no problem! I will stay up as long as necessary. I'm looking for a steady test of rising BG levels, right?

13. Chris & China (GA)

You should also keep a few cans of something you know is high carb like Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers. Not only is the gravy high in carbs, if you need something "medium" carb, you can mix a 20% with a 10% to make something that's 15%!

You want to continue testing until it's been at least 2 hours since you HAD to feed to keep her from dropping or to raise her BG.

14. Chris & China (GA)

I have to get off for tonight because I have to take my mom to the doctor tomorrow.

I've asked @Bron and Sheba (she's in Australia so it's earlier there) to try to keep an eye on you.

15. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

I will definitely be adding that to my hypo kit!! Thank you so much for everything!!

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi @Chris & China (GA)
    I will keep an eye out for the next test. Is it due in about 20 mins?

17. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

@Bron and Sheba Hello! Yes, it will be in about 20 more minutes! I will updated as soon as I can get that test done and it will be our +4 reading! Thank you for looking over us!

18. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, that would be about +4

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Happy to help. I see you are also posting on the Prozinc page......that's good.
    She is quite safe at the moment but as we don't have any data on how she reacts to insulin, we need to be cautious and test and gather the data.

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Chris. Sweet dreams:)

21. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yes, I was just checking to see who might be online and discovered the parallel threads. I’ll stop posting on the other one.

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Will we just continue on this one? I don't mind, either way.

23. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yes, this one. :)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  24. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Okay! sorry about the delay, that was a tough one. Shes getting fed up with me and her ears are getting sore :( +4 @ 97mg/dL though! All the testing is paying off!

25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok so that is much the same number as the last time, so quite safe.
    I would give just a teaspoon of low carb food and test again in one hour.
    Are you using both ears? It is hard in the beginning but you are doing a super job!
    What do you think @Jenna Josie ?

26. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Alrighty I will give another teaspoon of the DM wet food! I've tried to rotate ears now yes. She has a yeast infection in one ear and so it was especially sensitive for her but the medicine seemed to help and I've been able to use both ears to try and draw blood from. @Bron and Sheba

27. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I think the 6% DM helped there. (FF fish varieties are more or less “carb-less,” if that’s a thing.). Since she’s slowed her drop, you might give her another tablespoon to tide her over through her (likely) nadir and give her ears a break.

(Though if it were me, I’d feed her and get one more test in an hour just to be extra-sure :)).

Harukyo likes this.
  28. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Awesome! @Bron and Sheba and I were posting the same ideas at the same time! I think we can call that consensus!

Harukyo and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  29. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

You guys are the best. Again, cannot thank you guys enough. I'll be doing one more test to be safe at +5 and if her levels are still okay, I think i'll call it there. I can take over from here and in the event anything takes a bad turn I know how to post for an emergency *knock on wood*. @Jenna Josie @Chris & China (GA) @Bron and Sheba @AliceMeowliss&Cassandra, I owe you all coffee. Seriously, let me know if I can buy you a Starbucks sometime. :coffee:

30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Neosporin pain relief ointment is good for the ears, especially in the beginning.
    You can pop it on the ears in between tests and it will relieve any pain and inflammation that might have appeared. Not sure where you live but it is not hard to pick up in the US.

31. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Would love a coffee but might be a bit hard to manage from Australia:joyful:
    I'll stick around.
    Let's see what the +5 is before we make a decision. All these numbers have been propped up with food so we need to make sure she has reached nadir and will be safe

32. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

One last question. Due to all the feeding and stuff, how should I expect to proceed for the AMPS? If its in the 200 range shoot our normal dose (1.5u) and if its lower than 200 (like the level for PMPS tonight) then stall for 30 minutes, test again. And if its not up to 200 then feed and skip the shot, correct? (Sorry if thats a stupid question)

33. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

@Bron and Sheba ah, gotcha. Okay I will make sure I update with the +5 reading!

34. Bron and Sheba (GA)

There is no stupid questions
    If the number is 200 or above, shoot the usual dose of insulin after food
    If it is below 200, stall and DONT FEED, post and ask for assistance, and test again in 20 minutes to see if the BSL is coming up on its own.
    As long as you haven't fed any food in the 2 hours before the AMPS, the number shouldn't be food influenced..
    If the number is below 200 after 20/30 mins ask for assistance and someone will tell you what to do.

35. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Perfect! That's the exact clarification I needed.

36. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Getting my +6 for the night and checking in! Looks like things are going well! :coffee:

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  37. Bron and Sheba (GA)

38. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you! She’s letting me sleep once in awhile these days! :)
    Thanks for being here. :bighug:

Did we get a +5?

39. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

+5 @ 141mg/dL!! I think we are through it now *sigh of relief* Kyo is ready to sleep and so am I :cat:

40. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Not yet, but I think kyo is getting a little crabby from all the tests so it may just be a little minute ...

41. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Oh, there it is! Yay!

That’s a good number, and yes, time for bed (for those of us not in Australia :) )!

She may actually run a little high at AMPS tomorrow from her adventures tonight, so don’t be surprised if that happens

42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes I think she should be ok now. Have a good sleep and I'll look in on you tomorrow and see how the morning went.
    You did very welll. Sometimes having to deal with something that isn't quite straight forward is when we learn a lot. And there's is a lot to learn in the first few weeks of FD, but already you have made giant leaps forward..
    Hope Kyo's ears settle down. Have a look for that ointment I mentioned. It's good.

43. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks @Jenna Josie for helping out tonight. It's always good to have another person around.
    Only 6.15 pm here on Monday night in Oz. Just about to get dinner but was waiting for the BSL to come through before I started. Fed the cats though as they were hungry and asking for their dinner. Raw chicken wings on the menus for them tonight.

44. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

@Bron and Sheba I made my grocery list for tomorrow including the ointment and FF gravy lovers! Goodnight everyone, thank you again for helping us get through this. And I totally know what you mean, I feel like I've learned so much from this experience, not to mention all the testing experience. I hope to continue to get better and will continue to keep our spreadsheet up to date! @Jenna Josie Appreciate the heads up about the AMPS! I'll keep that in mind. Goodnight!

45. AliceMeowliss (GA)

@Harukyo , it was a good first experience staying up after a shot! We’ve all done it! Rest well, and have an easier cycle tomorrow! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.