Help with Tommy

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sandy&Tommy, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

This morning Tommy was 93 AMPS. I had to go to work and it ended up a double. I didn't give insulin and now he is HI which is over 600, right? What should I dose him and what is my next step? Thanks!
    Sandy

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking at ss. Brb. Take another test to be sure number is right.

3. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

Ok. I will do that. I can get the last few numbers too.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Oops. Ss not up to date. Will nag later. If he was at 93 at amps, probably this is a big bounce. But you don't want him to dip too low overnight. Maybe 1.5?

5. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

Ok, still high. Last night 283, yesterday am 387
    2/12 pm 329.

6. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

Ok I will try that. Feed normal? I will fix SS after I feed.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'd still say 1.5. The last time he was high (that black on 2/7) you shot 1.6 and he was in the reds at pmps so I'm thinking he went low midcycle.

What do ypu think?

8. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

That sounds good. I will get another test in a few hours. Thank you so much!!

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

No worries. Hope he comes down for you. But that 93 was interesting!

10. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

I have now updated the SS. I have now taken a few deep breaths. I panicked with that high reading because I had no idea how high it was. I could handle that 500 as I could see what it was. It brought back memories of when my daughter was young and her meter was HI. Over a period of three hours we gave insulin three times and wouldn't go lower than HI on the meter. Took her to the hospital and she was in the 900's! Anyway I'm ok now. Thanks again. I will post later.

11. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

+3 = 358
    Whew! nailbite_smile
    I'm going to head for bed and will post in morning. :smile:

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It'd be nice to know why exactly you got the 93 amps. Ate less that cycle? It doesn't make a lot of sense that the dose was too high on the yellow unless he is really changing patterns. I think I'd stick with the scale unless we see some other unusual number like that.

Unless, of course, he has thrown you a new curve this am..... :mrgreen:

13. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

AMPS 446 1.4U
    I went with my sliding scale. Could be the late night shot and early reading? He's been peeing, pooping, playing and purring normal so it doesn't appear that he's feeling off. (Did I miss one?) I will try for ketones today, although his breath is fine. I am home long enough to get a nadir today. dancing_cat

14. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy-- I wanted to look at your SS, but cannot open it at work. His numbers will settle in, it will just take some fine tuning. But, in the meantime, do keep a check on his ketones. The test is easy and is a "cheap" insurance policy! My Kitty developed ketones and went into DKA- she did survive, but it was a very expensive lesson to learn! She never checked positive for ketones again, and hers was due to too severely too little insulin at the time. But, I remained vigilant on testing her ketones!

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We could have been more agressive with last night's dose, but you didn't want to stay up all night worrying. Looks like something similar happened on 2/7. It was food related, but you shot 1.6 into the 503 and if he didn't drop low (no nadir so we don't really know), then the next preshot was still high at 421. The next cycle was a blue preshot. So maybe he takes a two cycles to come down from a bounce, or a high number. I'd give it another cycle and see what happens.

16. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

Thank you for your encouraging words. So far his ketones have been negative but do know that it can change at any time. This high just gave me a scare. He has improved so much over the months on insulin, and he is walking without a limp most of the time. He is my sugar buddy!

17. Sandy&Tommy

Sandy&Tommy Member

Negative for ketones and +6 = 125 fed 1- 1/2T LC. :thumbup dancing_cat
    Won't be able to test again until PMPS. He should be just fine.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So when he goes high, it just takes him awhile to come back down. We'll need to remember that. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.