Help!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mackenzie Obermeyer, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Mackenzie Obermeyer Member

Maytons blood said it was 23 we took it again and it said "low"

We didn't get an AMPS again... which was our fault because we forgot to talk about who was getting up this morning and my mom ended up doing it while I was asleep.

We just found that Mayton threw up his food this morning and he still got his shot, but no one knew he threw up till now. I just gave him some dry. He isn't acting weird at all.

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Can you give him some wet food more HC in numbers to bring him up?

ETA HC

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

You need to get some honey or syrup in him now. I would rub some on his gums, and test in 10 minutes.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

How long ago was the insulin given?

5. Mackenzie Obermeyer

6:30am its current 9:20am

6. Bobbie And Bubba

I am glad that he is acting okay but you are going to have to boast him up with HC food and or honey and keep testing. This is way too low of a number and since it is so early in the cycle and he hasn't even hit nadir yet.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

What is the last test you did? And can you update the SS?

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Okay, LO means below 20, I think. His insulin is just onsetting now. After giving him some syrup, and testing, I would call the vet or ER and let them know what is happening and that you may be bringing in your cat.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

If you go to the vet, take the syrup or honey and your meter with you. You may have to pull over to give him more and test, if his numbers aren't coming up.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

I agree with Dyana that he should go to the vet and be given IV glucose to get him up and especially because he threw up his food. Have someone drive and another can tend to Mayton if more honey or syrup is needed.

11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding my voice to the chorus: it is too early in the cycle to deal safely with such low numbers at home. Please take him to the vet where he can be kept safe!

12. Mackenzie Obermeyer

I gave him a handful of dry food and rubbed a little syrup on his gums. Haven't tested again and I'm about to. Last test was at 9:05 it's currently 9:30

13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Waiting for that test.

14. Bobbie And Bubba

It takes too long for dry food to effect the BG so if you can get wet into him it would be better. You can add a few drops of honey or syrup into the wet food.

15. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, for information: syrup acts fast, but fades quickly. Dry HC takes longer than wet to bring numbers up, but may be more long-lasting. Wet HC, and especially things like the gravy from a "gravy lovers" type food, are good because they are intermediate-acting in both directions.

Edit: or what Bobbie said.

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

PLEASE POST NUMBERS IN YOUR SUBJECT LINE AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM.

FYI:

If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)
    • Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    • Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    • Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    DO NOT become complacent. If number have risen after one or two tests, it’s important to continue testing. Numbers may bobble up and down as the HC food and/or Karo wear off. DO NOT get one test where your cat has risen from low numbers into the 50s and go to sleep or leave the house. You are putting your cat in a risky situation. When in doubt, leave HC food out.

In the case of an accidental overdose or should there be symptoms of hypoglycemia, even if you have caught this in the early stages, you may need to monitor for literally 16 or more hours. Lantus and Levemir are long acting types of insulin. This means if your cat is over dose, you will need to stay alert for hours in order to closely monitor and to keep your cat safe.

Please post your numbers. Those people who are helping you will not abandon you. In fact, they are staying up with you. The experienced people will even work in shifts to make sure your cat is safe and you have the support you need. Remember to refresh your browser to see new posts and keep posting so we know all is well.

17. Mackenzie Obermeyer

It said it was still low

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

See if you can get a good teaspoon of syrup into him, and then call the vet. Then test again. Get ready to go to the vet. Put the syrup and meter in or next to your purse.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  19. Bobbie And Bubba

I agree, you need to take him to the vet for an IV glucose. Please have someone go with you so you can attend to Mayton . Get some more syrup into him on his gums or HC wet with the syrup in it and get to the vet.

20. Mackenzie Obermeyer

We are taking him in do I need to give him more syrup before we leave? I'll I've given him was a little on the gums

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, give him more syrup and take your meter with you and if the vet is more than 15 mins away, test him again on the way and give more syrup.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

This is a scoop your cat up and run to the vet. These numbers are way too low. Give your cat some syrup and get to the ER vet. Your kitty really needs IV dextrose or to be monitored by a vet. This is an emergency.

Please keep us posted -- we want to know how you both are doing.

23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes, give him more syrup. I'm glad someone is going with you. Depending on how long the drive is, keep giving him syrup along the way. Keep us updated, when you can, because we are all worried with you.

24. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Put a big glob of honey or karo on your finger and stick it in his mouth/ tongue etc.

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

If you haven't already done so, call ahead to the vet so they know you are coming and that it's an emergency.

26. Mackenzie Obermeyer

We have I gave him a little spoon of syrup and we're testing him one more time before we leave

27. Bobbie And Bubba

I would get going now, the insulin has just started to onset . Please get going, this is an emergency.

28. Mackenzie Obermeyer

We were running out the door so we forgot the test but we did it before we left and it was 20 we have honey in the car and we will be there in 10 minutes

Dyana and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  29. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I agree. I would get in the car and get heading to the vet, and test in the car if possible.

30. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Did you call ahead to the vet?

31. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Yes

32. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good. How is he acting?

33. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My cat used to go lower at the vet, some cats do. So, give him some more honey within the next 10 minutes.

34. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Why is he acting normal... shouldn't he be like lathargic

35. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The honey is helping him to stay okay. Keep giving him some. It wears off quickly, but it brings them up quickly too.

36. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

oh my goodness . Praying everything is ok.

37. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The vet will probably use an Alpha Trac which reads higher. Don't be surprised when they tell you his numbers are higher when they test compared to what your meter tested at.

38. Mackenzie Obermeyer

39. Mackenzie Obermeyer

40. Mackenzie Obermeyer

They just took him back... we definitely won't be giving insulin with out testing any more geezzzz

41. Bobbie And Bubba

This is a good learning experience and maybe now you can get mom onboard with testing. ;)

Keep us posted.

Mackenzie Obermeyer likes this.
  42. JanetNJ

I'm glad he's there to get the treatment he needs. what a relief

43. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Yeah hopefully this will convince her

44. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad you made it.
    When I went, I was alone. They grabbed my cat from me and took him immediately to the back, while I used the bathroom to wash my hands and clean all the karo out of my hair and off my shirt. It was all over my steering wheel too.

45. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Glad you got him to the vet...sending prayers!!

46. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you made it to your vet.

47. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Sending prayers your way that everything is ok! Please keep us posted! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

48. Mackenzie Obermeyer

They said it was 87. We are taking him home, checking is blood every 2 hours. And feeding him small meals every 2 hours as well. They said to give him syrup if he is below 80 I think. Then not to give him insulin tonight unless it is around 150 or 200.

49. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to find out what your human meter tests compared to that 87 the vet got on his meter.

50. Doodles & Karen

Looks like the honey you gave him worked well. Please do monitor closely today as that honey etc. can wear off anytime during the cycle. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. tiffmaxee

I would test sooner than two hours. I would test at least every 45 until you are sure he is staying up without honey because it can wear off quickly. Good catch.

52. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Any recommendations on taking care of a cat who went super low? Like tips to do throughout the day?

Thanks for all of the help earlier from everyone! I'll be updating his spreadsheet often throughout the day, and I'll post on here his numbers.

53. tiffmaxee

Just keep testing often and feed small amounts with each test to keep him hungry. Have you bought any high carb foods? The fancy feast gravy lovers is high carb and you can give mostly the gravy to get him up. Do you have Pet Smart near you? Max loved Soulistic Triple Harmony pouches which has lots of gravy and is chicken, tuna, and I'm blanking on the third one. It was my go to food when he wouldn't eat before he became diabetic. Then it became my high carb food if he dropped under 50.

54. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Yes we do have a pets smart, were still at the vet I'm not sure what they are doing back there... once we get home we will test again and I'll go to the store to pick up some of the HC food in case he drops again.

55. Bobbie And Bubba

So glad that Mayton is okay and like everyone said, please test before 2 hours as the syrup wears off quickly and he could have been stressed by the visit and has an artificial higher reading. Most cats run higher at the vet office (white coat syndrome) although some will run lower when stressed.

Good idea to get some food in him and remember , he earned a reduction so IF you shoot tonight, it will be 1.75 . Get a +11 and post so peeps can help you. Make your title have a question mark and say : Dosing advice needed.

56. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would test every hour for a while. Please keep us updated when you do.

It's rare, but some cats will quickly go OTJ after an event like this. Don't get your hopes up, but I've seen it happen.

You will need to reduce the dose. Probably by more than 0.25, given the extremely and life threatening low numbers today. We'll see how his numbers play out today. Post a +11, like Bobbie said. With the recent DKA issues, you don't want to give him too little insulin, but you don't want him going this low again, ever. Do you have a blood ketone meter at home?

Today, would be a good day to teach your mom to test, if she doesn't know.

Please fill in your spreadsheet with the units given, and in the remarks write that you took him to the vet and were released with an 87 on the vet's meter, and any missing test numbers.

57. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Oh yeah the doctor said to give 1.5 every 12 hours now. But only do it tonight if it's high enough.

JanetNJ, Dyana and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  58. Mackenzie Obermeyer

They said he should get 314 calories to maintain his weight. That's like 3 cans of FF. I'm not sure if he will eat that much

59. JanetNJ

Well offer it and see what he wants. A can in the morning... A half later mid day, can in the evening and half can just before bed or mid night if you have an auto feeder.

I recently rescued a kitten from our garage that got a forever home (I hope) that looks like your baby. IMG_4005.JPG

60. Mackenzie Obermeyer

If he eats too much he will throw it up. I think for a meal he could only eat a little over half without throwing up.

What a cutie!

61. Mackenzie Obermeyer

We got home and we fed him 1/4 can of FF! we are testing him at +6 (15 min) stay tuned!!!

62. Mackenzie Obermeyer

What is OTJ mean?

We have ketone strips for urine but not one for blood.

63. Mackenzie Obermeyer

His +6 was 65, so it's not in the dangerous level any more I think. Just gave him some beef and chicken FF (about 1/4 can) and he is eating that up. Will test again at +7

64. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good.

65. Nan & Amber (GA)

OTJ= "off the juice", off insulin and a diet-controlled diabetic

You need a special meter for blood ketone tests-- the strips I think are quite pricey, but it's a nice thing to have around with a ketone-prone cat because it gives a faster indication of trouble than the urine tests, and then of course you don't have to wait around for a visit to the litterbox. So you could do urine tests most of the time but have the meter ready for an instant answer when you really need one.

66. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Do have SEB (slippery elm bark powder) or, if you don't have SEB, do you have Pepcid AC 10 mg tablets?

Mentioning this and asking others to chime in on this
    bc thinking either of these might help settle digestive tract and/or mitigate vomit and excess stomach acid.

I add either a little bit of SEB to fud (be sure to add water to fud bc SEB can get pretty thick) or dilute a small amount of SEB in enough water for it to be liquid enough to syringe in mouth.

If you try the Pepcid AC, my vet's recipe is: 1 Pepcid AC 10 mg tablet in 10ml water. Shake to dissolve tab. Syringe 1 ml twice daily. Use only the Pepcid AC (not any other kind of Pepcid brand or variation) and only the 10 mg tablet.

Welcome other's experience about adding this or variations, suggestions in the present circumstances.

67. Mackenzie Obermeyer

+7 was 70, again we gave him a 1/4 can of FF (with a little water)

68. Mackenzie Obermeyer

We have neither. For right now we are trying to do small frequent meals, so there is no problem with throwing up at the moment.

69. tiffmaxee

I personally would not give Pepcid it's used for stomach acid. He would be vomiting foam or clear and not his food. That usually occurs when they go too long without food.

HWright likes this.
  70. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Are these numbers okay? Should they be higher?

71. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The numbers are good.

72. Nan & Amber (GA)

Well, you are at +7, which should be around peak insulin activity, and he's in safe numbers now. If it were me, I'd keep a pretty close eye on him until it looked like he was definitely starting to climb into a bounce or just normal pre-shot numbers, but he's looking good right now!

73. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Baptism by fire, Mackenzie! Good work.:)

74. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

That's good :bighug::bighug::bighug:

75. Mackenzie Obermeyer

+8 is 122 and gave him a little less than 1/4 can of liver and chicken FF (with water). Mayton is pretty much willing to eat any of the FF now!

I am going to give the poor baby a break for +9 since is numbers have been good. I will check again at +10, and then at PMPS.

76. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

What a scary morning you had! Good job keeping Mayton safe!

77. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

When a kitty's numbers drop, they get hungry. It's why he's interested in food. The one cautionary note I can provide is to not become complacent. You've been feeding him every hour. His numbers may wobble around.

Ultimately, there's a very good chance you are going to see Mayton's numbers zoom up as a result of how low he dropped. (We call this a "bounce.") Do not get upset if his numbers are in the stratosphere -- it's annoying but a normal reaction.

78. Mackenzie Obermeyer

+10 is 176, I gave him 1/5 can of FF with water (since it's close to dinner I gave a bit less).
    So in 2 hours it rose about 50.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to give insulin or not this evening? I think the doctors were saying that we probably won't tonight. But if it is up there I feel like it wouldn't be smart not to give him any (even if it was just a little).

79. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Don't feed him anymore now before tonight's pmps, two hours still gives him time to come up significantly.

get a pmps and post up with the result before you shoot.

Remember he earned a reduction with those low numbers today, usually we do those in 0.25u steps, but seeing as he was in the 20's, I'm wondering if that will be enough.
    With DKA being in the mix, it makes it a little more tricky.

A lot will depend on whether you are going to be able to monitor him tonight?

80. JanetNJ

Let's see what it is at pmps then decide

81. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Yeah we will be home all night.

The doctor said we should change his dose to 1.5 units every 12 hours now, and see how that takes us. So that's probably the max we would do tonight because we definitely don't want this to happen again.

82. Nan & Amber (GA)

Aside from numbers (and some appetite!), how does Mayton seem to be feeling now?

83. Doodles & Karen

I agree with trying the 1.5u with monitoring because of the super low and the food changes. ETA: also see where he is tonight, you might do a one time reduced dose of 1u to help drain the depot a bit.

84. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Mackenzie Obermeyer Mackenzie, you and your Kitty Mayton are so adorable! I'm sorry you went through such a scary experience this morning with Mayton and I am so relieved he is safe and back at home. Great job today! Hope all goes well on tonight's cycle. :bighug::bighug:
    phew.png

85. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Given the recent food change it may be a good idea to go with the vets recommendation.

Because Lantus is a depot insulin, if you shoot, even though you are reducing the dose, the cycle can still be pretty active (unless he bounces to the moon), this is because it takes up to 6 cycles for the depot to adjust down to the new dose, and the larger (overfull) depot can influence a few cycles after you take the reduction.

So it's important not to be complacent tonight.

86. Mackenzie Obermeyer

He seems okay... he was hiding under the bed but I think he just doesn't want to be poked! Besides that pretty normal.

87. tiffmaxee

He also probably didn't want to go to the vet again, lol.

88. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Once, months ago, I did not test TiTi, my lil furball, before giving her shot. After reading through this cliff hanger, I can tell you that I will never EVER give TiTi her shot without testing first. Thank you for the lesson!

Glad you got him to the vet in time. Whew.

89. Bobbie And Bubba

Hey Mackenzie, just thought I would mention now that things have calmed down, if ever you get a reading that say LO please tag your post with a 911 so eyes get on it ASAP. Luckily today you had some immediate responses. Hope you never have another LO reading again but just in case.....

90. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Okay everyone his reading was 292... I believe the doctor said to give him 1.5 units if it was higher than 200. Do you all agree that sounds like the right thing to do?

91. Bobbie And Bubba

I think that is a good idea to go with the 1.5 especially since he is on the higher side which doesn't surprise me due to all the HC syrup and a bounce from the very low number. Please monitor tonight. Get a +2 and if it is the same as the PMPS number or lower it is an indication that it is going to be a very active cycle and you will need to monitor.

Dyana likes this.
  92. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I do. Let's see if there are other opinions. You'll be able to test tonight, and get a ketone test in?

93. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Okay. Just to get an understanding of where it could go... would it be needed to do test in the middle of the night like +6? I'm fine to wake up if it means I could avoid what happened today!

94. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Yes if I catch him peeing! Sometimes if I just stick him in the litter box he will pee :) what a good boy haha

95. Bobbie And Bubba

It might not be an bad idea if you are able to. But, if say at +4 the number is still in the 200's or more you wouldn't need to do that. But do get a +2 to see how the cycle will go. The +2 is usually the indicator for an active cycle. Post if you need help. Some one is always around. Mayton is one lucky cat that you are on his team. :bighug::cat::kiss:

96. Mackenzie Obermeyer

got a negative ketone test! We called the vet because the instructions say to start insulin tomorrow if he is 200+, but he is tonight. They said they would call back. Also he ate a nice 1/2 can of FF with water!

97. Ozzy Pawzbourne

You're doing an awesome job Mackenzie!!! :bighug::kiss: Your little Mayton is blessed to have you!

His Blood Sugar (BG) is bouncing, meaning the number will sky rocket after the very low reading he had this morning as other people above have described. It may take a few cycles for it to come back down again, but that is normal so be sure to expect some higher numbers for awhile.

astronaut.jpg

98. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Love the pic!

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  99. Mackenzie Obermeyer

The vet is not calling back... I'm worried because we were supposed to give the insulin at 6:30 and it's now 7!! Is this going to be a problem?

100. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I like to post a lot of funny stuff...the humor gets us through these crazy times. Be forewarned...I might photo bomb your threads from time to time. It's just my way of saying Hi and hang in there!!! :bighug::bighug::kiss::kiss:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.