Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carla Mary

Carla Mary New Member

Hi guys,

So my Cat (named Cat) has been doing so great that I wasn't even giving her insulin anymore. Her weight was great and she was back to her old self pre-diabetes. Her numbers were between 85-115 area consistently for a almost 2 months.

Suddenly the night before last she had a bad vomiting episode but then seemed to recover her sugar was elevated from what it was but was still only 108. She seemed to recover and was eating and drinking.

Today she ate breakfast and started acting lethargic and had refused dinner. I tested her sugar and it was 89. An hour or so later she threw up and I tested again and it had shot up to 105. She is sleeping and has no interest in food or water.

Do you think I should give her less than a unit of insulin if I can get her to eat? I was going to try to grill some chicken as that has worked in the past. I'm just scared she will dump because her number aren't that high. She is clearly feeling the raise. She also seems to feel much lighter and brindle which I think is wasting. I'm very scared for her as she seems to have gone down hill very fast after thriving!

What would you guys do?

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Her numbers are still very good, I wouldn't give insulin. If she isn't feeling well the numbers will elevate due to illness. If she isn't feeling better soon I'd take her in to rule out pancreatitis or anything like that. She may need an appetite-stimulant and anti-nausea.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm not sure why you would give her insulin. Her numbers are in normal range. Even the jump from 89 to 105 is not that that large of a rise in numbers. It's within 20% which could easily be due to meter variance.

I would, however, get Cat in to see your vet. She may have a GI bug or other problem that could be causing her to be nauseated and vomiting.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.