Here is what I think is wrong...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

I came home this am and fed all of the cats...Now at 8am or so I will test and shoot Mickey...And I just realized that I am testing him on a food spike..I think. Someone had mentioned this. So he ate at 6:30 so his food already kicked in which is giving me higher numbers...right?? or am I off base?

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I would think that he would have a bit higher #'s when you first test after feeding him, and then once the insulin kicks in (I think it's about an hour after shooting.. I don't know), then the insulin would start bringing his #'s down. I'm no expert by far, though, and hopefully someone on here can answer your question.

When I test Blackie 1 hour after she eats and gets her shot, sometimes the # is a bit higher, and then it gradually drops to her nadir #. Sometimes the # starts dropping after. Like I said, I'm not an expert on this by any means. LOL Just seems logical.

3. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Yes, your test could be affected by the food. It may not make that much difference, but the #s do go up after they eat. Mr. Tinkles usually goes up by 100 or so after eating. The general advice is to not feed for 2 hours before testing and shooting to avoid the food affecting the test. That was why I asked you when you were feeding in relation to the testing.

Onset for the insulin is about +2.

The usual order of things is: test, feed and then shoot, all within a short span of time. I know you have a challenging schedule, so it may be hard to do it the way most people do! It's ok if this is the way you have to do it, just take into account that the food is affecting your test. You might want to test before you feed him, and then test again before shooting to get a feel for how much the food is affecting the test (not necessarily every time, just once or twice to get an idea). It does make it a little harder to see exactly what is going on, but you have to do what you have to do!

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Testing at random mid cycle numbers gives you a lot of information which helps you treat and dose. If you don't get midcycle data, how do you know how low his numbers drop? How do you know how his food affects him? How do you know that it's doing anything?

For us, preshot numbers were typically high because the insulin was worn off at around +10. If it is +10 and you are feeding, and his numbers are rising, with PZI you could shoot then. But then your next preshot is at a different time... probably 10-12 hrs later.

Yes, when you feed 1.5 hours before testing, you are testing a food elevated number. If you want to see how much the specific food you feed, raises his sugar, test before food, at 30 min, at +1, +2, +3.

the normal routine, as was stated is test, feed, shoot:
    -test before food, to avoid a food spike number. Sometimes Cody is so excited I have to feed before I can test- but then I do it immediately. It's raising the numbers almost immediately.
    -feed before shot, so you know he has food on board for the insulin- some cats refuse to eat and you have a problem.
    -shoot as soon after preshot meal as possible to let the insulin start working on that food-( to let it make glucose available to the cells throughout his body.)

In one of your early posts I suggested a shooting schedule that looked like it might work (if you can leave for dinner during your 2-10 shift). (around 5;30/6:30?)

If you want to know the normal onset, nadir, and duration of PZI, its written in the PZI stickies. Onset about 2 hrs, nadir +4-8, duration about +10, but of course ECID. Hope this helps you figure out what is best for you guys.

5. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

I am going to get +2 +4 when I am off on monday and wednesday. :smile: Will keep you all updated. I didn't even get a Pmps tonight. He was more than angry.

6. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Nancy

P.S. I did get your time suggestions. Thanks!! I cannot leave for dinner. It is an eat at the radio job. :roll: I put a call into a vet tech I know. She can't come to help me but is going to ask at the vets office for me. I think the worst shift is going to be the 6a-2p shift...right now I am doing between 8a/p and 9a/p shots so if I could get someone to come at 8a/9a in the morning that could keep it consistant-ish. It would only be 5 days every 3 weeks. Fingers crossed :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.