High dose cat

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Luciaag98, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

Hi to everyone!
    My name is Lucía!
    My Cat id a high dose Cat, im trying yo find the reason, akro test negative, cushing test negative, the only one i havent done yet id the IAA one, I have read that there is also a lab test for it, which laboratory parameter is measured exactly to diagnose it?
    Tell me about your high dose Cats!
    Thank you all♥️

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Lucia and welcome to you and Cat. What dose is Cat on now, and which insulin? Are you home testing regularly?

Where do you live? Currently the only place that does the IAA test is Michigan State University, the same place that does the acromegaly test in North America. My girl was positive for both.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

24u of Levemir. Yes, im home testing and i live in Spain!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

There is a blood test for IAA yes. It is either a positive or negative result.
    Welcome! I believe we have another member on this board from Spain @Wendy&Neko isn't that correct?

Anyway, my cat Darcy (male) is a cat with Acromegaly and he is a high dose kitty. He is taking a drug called Cabergoline and recently his dose requirements have decreased.

Your kitty, fortunately, does not have Acromegaly. It's too bad you can't get the lab test to confirm the insulin autoantibodies. They can really make things difficult to manage.

5. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Hi Lucia! My Howie is also a high dose cat. He was first diagnosed with IAA in Sept 2020 and his IGF-1 results for acro were negative. However, I retested him again in Jan 2021 and they came back very positive (532!). When was your kitty diagnosed with diabetes? You are supposed to wait at least 90 days after they start insulin before you test for these types of things. @Wendy&Neko, or is it 73 days? I can’t remember!

I’m assuming since you are already up to 24 units, he was diagnosed a long time ago. Howie is also on Levemir and bounces between 30-55 units. He’s currently at 43 units.

6. Wendy&Neko

Yes, there is research from the Royal Veterinary Clinic that there is a high number of false negatives for IGF-1 (acromegaly) if you test less than 73 days after starting insulin.

Tagging @Gill & George who is also from Spain.

What food are you feeding Cat now? Diet can make a difference in dose, though 24 units is quite high. Is that 24 units a day or per shot?

7. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

My kitty was diagnosed in December!
    The thing is that the IAA Its not common here un Spain and I dont know WHAT parameter is measured in that test, like at akro one is the IGF-1.
    Im feeding him with no Carb wet good. 24u per shot.
    Im starting with Toujeo because It was getting hard to manage that high dose

8. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

Sorry for my english!!:(

9. Wendy&Neko

IAA or insulin auto antibodies are what are measured. If you go to this MSU page, and search for test 20031, you will find the description. This test is only available at Michigan State University.

What date did your kitty start insulin, and when was the diagnosis for acromegaly?

Your English is fine. :) Much better than my Spanish.

10. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

He was negative to acromegaly and to cushing. All Blood screens were fine.
    The only things os that he needs high dose so i wanted to do him the IAA test but i dont know if here in Spain It could be done.
    He started with insulin in December, we started with Caninsulin, then i started to research and changed to Lantus, then as he was needing more dose we chsnge to levemir and now as de dificult yo manage his high dose we started with Toujeo, two days ago.

11. Wendy&Neko

What date did he start insulin? What date did he have the blood draw to test for IGF-1? I am trying to figure out if there is a chance he has a false negative for acromegaly.

12. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

I cant tell you the day exactly, in December. And the acromegaly test was a week algo.

13. Wendy&Neko

OK, it looks like it has been over 3 months from when he started insulin to the blood test. That shouldn't be a false negative. It's just uncommon to see an IAA only cat get to over 20 units of insulin.

14. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

I also dos him a pancreátitis test and T4, all negative either...

15. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Lucia.
    Sorry I only saw Wendy's tag this evening.
    We are in Granada.

What is the name of the food you are feeding?

How are you getting on with the new insulin?

16. Luciaag98

Luciaag98 New Member

Hi!
    sorry for taking time to answer!
    I am giving him smilla.
    We are using the new insulin because, as it is more concentrated, we need less quantity when injecting because so much liquid was becoming very difficult for me.
    Now I wanted to do the IAA test but I do not find information here in Spain about the test and the veterinarians do not even know what it is, I wanted to know if you knew if this test was done here.

17. Wendy&Neko

The IAA test is only done in the United States at Michigan State University.