? High Numbers After Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah&Soph, Dec 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Sophie is in remission and had a pancreatitis flare up on Saturday and Sunday. I took her to the vet and got her fluids, pain and nausea meds, the works, and on Monday and Tuesday she was back to her normal self. I tested her BG and her numbers are high, which is expected but still disappointing. I know her pancreas obviously just went through a tough time, but is there some sort of time frame where her numbers should return to “normal”, if they’re going to? I don’t want to start her on insulin again too soon but I also don’t want to wait too long either. She’s feeling kind of meh today, but I’m not sure if that’s due to higher numbers than she’s used to or something else. I’m going to call tomorrow and get her an appt and a script for insulin just in case

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sheba's BG used to go up with a pancreatic flare but used to come back to normal each time without a couple of days. Then on one occasion they didn't and she was back on insulin.
    I'd give it a couple of day and see what the numbers do.
    That is a shame and so frustrating for you. I hope they drop back down.

3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I’ll wait a few more days and hold onto the insulin script just in case. Definitely disappointing but I know it’s always a possibility with these darn pancreas conditions

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes, it is disappointing. I had tested Sheba a couple of days before the flare because she had been having chronic diarrhoea and I had been monitoring her closely and the numbers were normal.
    Hopefullly they will drop back down.
    Are you giving pain meds still? Pain can cause the numbers to rise.

5. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

No, I’m not currently giving her any meds since her symptoms are gone, but I do still have some bupe I could give her if you think I should. I know cats are notorious for hiding pain which is why I made sure they sent me home with some. She did eat some dry food over the weekend and had a small amount on Monday morning, so maybe that’s still in her system as well? She wouldn’t eat any wet food when she was feeling crummy, only treats, tuna, and the kibble. I’m not 100% sure on the carb content, I believe it’s around 11-13% on dry matter basis.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It might be worth giving her a small dose of the bupe to see if that helps. Pancreatic pain can be severe and she could still have some pain.

I used to have to feed Sheba with a little dry food get her started to eat again sometimes.

7. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

They’re pre measured in 0.5cc syringes, do you think I should give a whole dose of that or less? She’s about 9 lbs

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I have only used oral bupe a couple of times myself although the vet used to give Sheba injections.
    I found the oral bupe used to send Sheba loopy and quite out of it, so I will have to leave it up to you as to how much to give her.
    If the 0.5 did not effect her adversely you could give her what she had before.
    It willl be interesting to see if it helps the numbers.
    I know when Sheba was in pain from arthritis and the problem was addressed, her numbers dropped quite a bit.

9. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Thank you Bron! :bighug:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.