Higher PMPS Than AMPS - Normal? also Update

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Kay&Kiara, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Kay&Kiara

Kay&Kiara New Member

Hello All,

Long time, no post.

Update on Kiara:

Emailed the vet after her BG fell <50 last week, and had to argue the point of lowering her dosage down (the vet wanted to rise it up to 4u until I told her about the sudden drop).

Happy to report, she agreed that a lower dosage would be fine; and while she didn't think 1u would do any good, Kiara and I are testing out 2u-2.5u range, and I have to admit, its going pretty well. Though the vet said to try and keep Kiara in the 100-200 range overall, which so far isn't all that accomplished. BUT she's gotten some high dark greens and blues now during the nadir which is far better than the HI reading we got with her diagnosis. (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THE SPREADSHEET! SUCH A BIG HELP!) And I haven't gotten any indications of a BG crashing since. Also a plus!

I've done a glucose curve or two, and I'm finding the lowest peak of release is coming at 4-4.5 hours before her BG starts to climb again, which makes me wonder if she needs a slower release insulin? Which is something I'll bring up at her 2 week recheck.

Any who,
    you'll read in the title, while Kiara's BG is becoming somewhat managed, they are almost always higher in the evening than they are in the AM; when I come home from work in the morning, they're usually back down. And I can't figure out why?
    I was reading someone's else thread (can't remember whose), and while Kiara doesn't go as high as that person's cat, a person commented that if a blood glucose gets too high for too long, it will become the new "normal" and anything below will be considered hypo by the body, and in response the cat will produce glucose.

So could this be what's happening to Kiara?

Or is a higher BG during one PS vs the other normal and I'm fretting over nothing?

Thanks.

Kay & Kiara

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Kay, what is Kiara's diet? Is she eating dry food, canned food or both. It would be helpful to know if she's eating a low carb diet, if you have been able to transition her to that. You could include that in the signature, as it takes time to try to go back through all previous posts to check.

3. Kay&Kiara

Kay&Kiara New Member

She is on a low carb canned F(ancy)F(east) Classic diet, with tuna and salmon for protein 2x a day. And low carb treats for BG testing.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member