hmmmm, to shoot or not to shoot

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LynnLee + Mousie, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

that was the question i asked this morning.

Mousie is so relaxed when we are home on the weekends that her numbers are always better than during the week.

with the extra day this time she is already pretty dang relaxed and threw me a 128 this morning. i thought about it.....should i? maybe a reduced dose? hmmmmmmmmmm.................nah, decided to let her be and see what happens in a couple hours. why a couple hours? wellllllll, she's eating her breakfast right now, which tends to give her quite the spike......so rather than shoot a spike number i think i'll wait a little longer and see how much she comes back down on her own.........

hmmmmmm................maybe i'll test her in 1/2 hour and 1 hour and go from there. that sounds better. :D

2. LynnLee + Mousie

hmmmm, it's been 45 minutes and she only went to 159. but i shot :D now let's see what she does. i did slightly reduce, from 1.2u to 1u

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

gotta love the tough questions when they are of this variety!!!! I have no answers or even real suggestions - with Bix in a similar situation, I've just been trial & erroring it.

really impressed with her #s improving like this... go Mousie!!! :D Did you switch her food 100%, or is this just using some of the "gently cooked" :) fare?

curious if you've done a food test with her before, i.e. you know her pancreas is at least half-awake? that's cool if so!!!

4. LynnLee + Mousie

oh her pancreas is dead. actually, my fiance is convinced she was born without one. LOL!!

she's never in 3 years shown any trace of pancreatic function and just recently she saw the vet that took over our clinic for the first time. she mentioned something to us that hadn't been mentioned before which we found rather interesting.....that there is a very good chance that Mousie is type 1, not type 2. she was diagnosed very young (roughly 4 yrs old), is not nor has ever been overweight, and absolutely cannot keep herself in normal numbers without exogenous insulin.

the vet said we could do various tests to find out but what's the point. if we don't do the tests, she gets insulin. if we do the tests and find out she is, she still gets insulin. i have no problem with giving her insulin and i learned a long time ago to not let the stress of remission achievement get to me. sure it would be nice, but then again, she'd probably pull away from me if i didn't have to handle her every day, being the little street girl she is. :)

and i should have shot the 128 and stayed with the 1.2u. LOL!! she shot up to 226 at +6 so i gave her a little more (yes, i am willing to shoot tid). oh well, live and learn

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Geez, I hate decisions like that, mostly because it seems I usually choose wrong. ;)

I don't blame you for not doing the test to see which type of diabetic she is. Like you said, what's the point? It's not going to change anything really. I think it's sweet that Mousie's #s are better on the weekends when everyone's together. :) And people say animals don't have feelings or souls. Pfft.

How was your New Year's Eve and Day? Hopefully you did something fun, even if it's just staying in and relaxing. Still sending good thoughts to you and Raul regarding Spazzie.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Miss Regular threw you a loop

I remember you going "Boring" about Mousi and her very regular bg pattern. Maybe she wants to keep you on your toes. I know that Blackie has kept us on our toes since we started home testing. Didn't your new vet suggest increasing her dose? Is that where you are now? Glad all your fur babies are doing well.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like an excuse for early retirement. :thumbup Gotta keep teh kitteh relackzd!!! I-)

Interesting about the Type 1 stuff. I wouldn't bother with the tests either - is what it is, and if her insulin needs are predictable (til today at least), at least you know that and know what you are dealing with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.