Home made food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WYMoreta, Jan 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYMoreta

WYMoreta Member

Hi,

Gizmo and I are new-ish to the forum (Hello-Gizmo and I are new to the forum). I now have a diabetic cat Gizmo (10); 2 hyperthyroid cats, Sherlock (12) and Cephas (10); and 2 "normal" cats Chakra (6), and Shoni (2). I have read many of the posts, and have read Dr. Lisa Pierson's Making Cat Food. I'm a bit of a worrier about semi-raw food, so if I did this, I would probably cook everything completely, and probably use the bone meal rather than grinding the bones myself.

Has anyone done it this way? Did it improve your cat's life? How did your picky eater's react to it? I've got one cat that to get him it eat his thyroid medication it has to be mixed in with either plain chicken or the savory turkey flavor of hill's science diet.

Is there something that someone else has tried that is better? (Again... raw may be best for my pets.... but I'm not sure I can do that).

Thanks!

Gizmo, Sherlock, Cephas, Chakra, Shoni, and WYMoreta (forever a cat servant!)

2. Felixkitty

Felixkitty Member

Following your post as I’ve had this same question. Btw - unrelated, I saw you noted that 2 of your cats have hyperthyroidism, my 14yo cat was diagnosed in August with hyperthyroidism, put on meds which made her a different cat and underwent radioiodine treatment this past December. She was just cleared, thyroid back to normal. It’s pricey but I’d consider it if you haven’t already (I only mention it because some vets do not).

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. WYMoreta

WYMoreta Member

My vet hasn't suggested it, but thanks to this forum, when I asked about hyperthyroidism, they pointed me to the facebook group for hyperthyroid cats. I now intend to ask my vet about it. :) If you are in the mid-west of US, could you tell me where you chose to go, and why? I got a recommendation for a clinic around Chicago, but haven't done all my homework yet.

4. Felixkitty

Felixkitty Member

Sorry - no recommendations on a clinic. I’m from Chicago but moved to Texas about a year & 1/2 ago. Radioiodine treatment is heavily regulated, so very few clinics do it. The good part is that it’s not a very risky procedure & is 95% effective. I debated it due to my cats age but as she was healthy otherwise, it was highly recommended. Kidney issues are a big concern, I guess hyperthyroidism can mask kidney disease - so you’ll want to make sure that’s not an issue. Otherwise, they literally do an injection under the cats skin, your cat hangs out at the vets until their radioactive levels drop & they can come home. (& of course they do blood work before and a month after)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.