Home test kits

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cyndi and fuzzy, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I was told by my vet two days ago that i cannot use the human acucheck machine i have been useing on fuzzy for two years, and now i have to buy one for $150.00 Is this info accurate? are you folks useing special cat monitors or are the human monitors ok to use?? Would like input before i have to pay for the test kit, with fuzzy in hospital all I see is dollar signs. thanks cyndi and fuzzy

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I don't see any reason other than the vet wants to make a profit. It's worked for two years, right?

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

totally agree. no reason to go broke on a "pet" meter unless you're filthy rich and have money to burn. human meters work just as good and plenty of vets recommend them, even the university of queensland i think it was recently (not long before the old board died)

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Almost all of us that hometest use human glucose meters. They are much cheaper and also depending on the brand of meter you have, you often have more than location to buy the strips. With the "pet" meters, you can only buy the strips from the vet. Not a good option, especially if you are low on strips and your cat is showing signs of hypo.

5. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

Thankyou, I didnt think for two years i was doing things wrong or my cat wouldnt still be here. the vet was not there when I picked up fuzzy, recheck wed. will tell him then i cant afford one.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Ask the vet if he is willing to GIVE you one along with all the strips you will need....that will shut him up pretty quickly.

Seriously though, the animal meters are very costly and the strips are even more so. Additionally the only place to get strips is from the vet. So what happens on a Saturday night or Sunday that you use your strip supply and now have none. How are you supposed to test?

Using a human meter, you can run out to any store that's open and get what you need, you can't for an animal meter.

This read may help you as well. I found it interesting when it came up a while back and bookmarked it for reference.

Differences between blood and meters

7. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I have decided to stick with the monitor and strips i have been useing, a good decision point was someone saying "its worked for two years" the vet called today and said the unit was 300 plus and strips were 100 for fifty, i laughed so tomorrow we recheck with the vet for his ears dental and kidneys. we wont be bringing home a pet cat(2)_steam monitor!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.