? Home Testing Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GreyJax, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyJax

GreyJax New Member

Anyone have any experience with the ADVOCATE PetTest meter? I bought this when my cat was first diagnosed not long ago but barely used it. I now am getting the hang of home testing but not sure how reliable it is. I am thinking about switching to the Relion since everyone here seems to love it and for it's price. This may be a stupid question but is there any thing different I need to do when using a human meter on a cat? Or it's just take his blood and check the number. It's confusing they make BG meters specifically for animals, is it just a marketing thing or is there some difference in how it reads blood etc? Thanks!

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Well, a pet meter reads higher. Before they came out, vets use human meters, mine still do. We dose on human meters, plus they're waaaay cheaper.
    They also make corn for cats, rabbits and guinea pigs, none of them can benefit the corn and grains. Or the salt stones, they're still getting produced cause they sell, because people don't know any better.
    And dry food for cats, based on dental health! Hilarious when cats are carnivores, and they don't even chew their dry kibble.
    Point is, switch to the ReliOn and save your money. A diabetic pet isn't cheap, you'll have enough to spend money on :rolleyes:

3. GreyJax

GreyJax New Member

So the only difference is higher readings? Thank for for clarifying on that for me. I just want to be sure if I did switch I was using it correctly/reading it right for a pet rather a human. We're currently switching his food due to some GI issues and I want to be able to better monitor his BG during the process.

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Yeah. On a pet meter your take action number is 68. On a human meter it's 50. And don't do comparisons on both meters, you'll just be confused about it. Been there done that :oops:

5. GreyJax

GreyJax New Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.