How do you know when it is time to try a honeymoon? Advice?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Linda and Tasha, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Just wondering what to look for in the future. Tasha is on (lantus) what I call 0++ (which is between the fat zero and a .1) She tanks 2 hours after a .1 (about 34) so I had to reduce it. Most of her numbers are in the blue with some dipping into the green within the first few hours after her shot. She was dxd a little over a month ago.
    Do ALL the numbers have to be in the green or under 120? How long do they have to be that way before you know it is time to try it? What does a pre honeymoon SS look like?
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Tasha is on a fat zero now and I am thinking of skipping her evening shot to get her back on a better time schedule. I really wish I had some idea when it is the right time to try going OTJ.

3. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Trying to go OTJ is completely up to you at this point. Are you willing to try? Are you happy with what the numbers are doing?

My Peeps is OTJ, and doesn't read below a 75 without insulin. I have had a reading as high as a 120, but I think it was due to her not feeling well & my over reacting to her. In average, she reads around the 80's to 90's. In regards to her health, if she ever started constantly reading around 200, that is when I would think about putting her back on insulin.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't start home testing until insulin was no longer needed, so I can't offer any of my personal experience there... We were also all over the board for injections in the 9 months she was on insulin. She went from .5 slowly up to 5, slowly back down to .5 and then she didn't need insulin anymore. It might be worth it to consider continuing what you are doing in case Tasha's pancreas still needs a little help.

Good luck to you Linda and Tasha!

4. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Thanks Michelle.
    I didn't think we were quite there yet. I actually plan on skipping tonight's insulin to get her back to her regular schedule. I think I need to see a little lower PS bg numbers but was not sure. I wondered how others felt. I cannot raise her insulin or she will tank and any lower and it is no insulin. I think she gets a pin head drop for each shot now. I just wondered if it really was doing anything or not.

5. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

By the time you're down below half-units, your cat is already making a goodly supply of their own insulin. You're then supplementing it.

Insulin is made by the pancreas at about 30% capacity all the time, and at about 50-100% capacity right after eating. A pancreas that can handle demand of about 50% or more can generally handle the amount needed to bring down a post-meal spike.

A pancreas that can't handle that may still be adequate to handle the 30% constant-need stuff, but after a meal may be so slow to bring down blood sugar that it builds up in the blood until next mealtime.

I think the best way to proceed is to keep on reducing the dose until you can't reduce it any more. Sounds like you're nearly there.

At that point, you can shoot on an 'as needed' basis for a while, shooting only when numbers rise above some predetermined point that you know will mean 'can't bring it down on his own'.

I don't see any harm in continuing to help out and let the pancreas continue to heal until that number is quite low, say 130 or 140. So long as your minimum shot isn't bringing blood sugar dangerously low. If it is, then it's time to stop for a day and see what happens!

6. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

We are in day 10 of OTJ trial today. By the way, we started at .5 once a day and quickly went to .25 twice a day. Tasha is very tiny and very insulin sensitive. She had crashes at tiny amounts of insulin yet still had numbers in the blue and occasional yellow. I put her on trial when she got a 30 something on a fat zero.

7. Olliecat

Olliecat Member

Hey Linda - how about an update??? Enquiring minds want to know!!! :lol:

Roz & Oliver

8. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

She is doing great and getting into trouble and enjoying the "falls". Did one random BG and she was 91. Hope everyone is doing well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.