? how do you know when it's time to switch insulins?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bbwyo, Dec 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

Kitty Burton 13 yrs and I have been on this for 3 years with much success. Originally Kitty was on Vetsulin but she didnt feel good on it so we switched to Lantus. She's been on 1u in the morning and .5 in the evening with good results. Recently she has been having swelling in abdomen (Vet thinks is gas) however I have noticed she seems to feel punky after her insulin shot. Last bloodwork determined she needed 1 u in am and 1u pm. I give her a Dasuquin once a day. She has arthritis and so gets a small dose of Meloxidyl as needed (infrequently). How do I know if it's time to try another insulin?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Why do you think you need to switch? You are on a very tiny dose. I don't see any updated numbers in your spreadsheet to really offer any advice.

BTW, the best treatment for arthritis is adequan shots! They are a life saver.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am curious how the blood work can determine insulin dose

4. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

Thank you Janet. I will try to answer
    RE: spreadsheet. Kitty was in remission until last Spring. Had minor issues UTI, food craving that went away when I restarted Lantus. The Vet said see how she did on 1u. per day we eventually ended up 1u am and 1/2 unit in the evening which seemed to smooth out my home bg testing.

Re: My question about switching is in response to most recent bloodwork a Fructosamine test which was high 427. I have noticed in the past 2-3 weeks that she seems to be perky before eating and getting her insulin shot. Within an hour or so after her shot she is doing the meatloaf thing, is subdued and there is something reminiscent to when she first went on insulin...before we switched to Lantus. I have been testing bg at home several times a week in the morning and randomly in the evening or during the day. They seemed pretty normal and consistent at 195-235 an hour after eating in the morning. I was feeding her first and giving her her shot later in case she vomited...which she does very infrequently and attributed to pancreatitis flares. Gradually over the past 3-4 mos she seemed to be bloated. The Vet attributed it to gas...I believe the reasoning is that because of the arthritis she wasn't moving around as much. The bloating hasn't improved and this past week she has reduced water and food intake. I felt like it was most likely a UTI..(small pee, licking, reduced food and water intake. I do add water to her wet food at every meal 3x daily).but bloodwork shows no signs of infection. She started being subdued and punky about a week ago after she was out and ate a mouse. I have snatched so many mice from her but missed this one. she never reacts well.

RE: where we stand now. the Vet has indicated I should increase the evening insulin dose to 1u so the 1u 2x daily. also for the UTI she has prescribed Clavamox. in the past this has seemed to fix the UTI symptoms and litter box issues. She has always been a chowhound so no appetite with the "bloating" is what makes me think something else is going on. Bloodtests indicate liver and kidney normal. I'm wondering if she may be developing a resistance to the Lantus.

RE: Arthritis. Last spring she started having achy soreness. The Vet said to try Ostilox which I used infrequently in very small doses and only as needed. She seemed to tolerate it well so I continued the infrequent uses. I asked the Vet about Adequan shots which maybe necessary if things get worse. She did mention using Gabapentin. I am in rural WY and the Vet makes house calls. I would appreciate it if you could share your experience with the Adequan shots. Her comment about Adequan was that it would be difficult to get frequent shots...or something to that effect. havent explored it yet.

I feel like I'm rambling but I'm searching for answers. these things always happen on Fridays. Thank you again for your input.

5. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

I just posted a rather long reply to Janet maybe it will answer why at this time. I appreciate comments. like I said before I'm searching. thanks

6. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

It always happens on a Friday. Every darn single time.
    I don't get why most people get their pets operated on, on a Friday. Yeah you might me home to observe your pet... but are you willing to pay the 200% extra? Of not, don't do it on a freaking Friday! :banghead:

In the beginning of my journey with diabetes, I was so anxious about the weekends. Two weekends in a row we ended in the vet's ER. Never been before the 10 years I've had these cats...never..
    It's always inconvenient.
    It's almost like the animals knows when it's the most inconvenient for us humans. :banghead:

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

so I wasn't imagining it! thanks

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's no way we can really answer that without some recent testing, especially since you just changed the dose to 1U BID.

I think it would help if you'd get back in the habit of testing before every shot and at least 1 mid-cycle test on the AM cycle and a "before bed" test on the PM cycle and see what's really going on.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with @Chris & China (GA). You need to be testing before every shot and during the cycles. A Fructosamine test doesn’t tell you how high and low the BGs are going. It is just an average of the past couple of weeks numbers.
    Lantus also works best when the same dose is given both cycles otherwise you are messing up the depot.

10. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

Yes. I know you are right. Last night I started with the new program 1u am and 1u pm. She seems to be better this morning. BG was 200 before shot. She is drinking on her own and eating a little. Abdomen still swollen but her eyes are better. I understand the shortcomings of the fructosamine test and will try and to test more often and update my data page. I hope you all know how much comfort you are in dark times. Thank you.

11. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

Could you share your experience with adequate? I've read a little but would like to hear how it works for others. I cant stop her from aging!

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat gets bony growth in her elbows from acromegaly. She started limping 3 years ago. With the adequan she doesn't limp unless the weather is bad. The protocol is two shots a week for four weeks, then once a week for four weeks, then once a month. We went to every 3 weeks, then every other week.... Now she gets a shot once a week.... But it keeps her moving! I just watched her walk out of the room with a little pep in her step.

13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My civi Moxie is on oral Cosequin and gabapentin and Adequan injections. The Adequan seemed to help the most. "
    • For cats, the dose is 0.5 mg to 2.5 mg per pound (1 to 5 mg/kg) in the muscle every 4 days for six doses. Other protocols include using PSGAG at 2.5 mg per pound twice a week for 4 weeks then weekly for 4 weeks then monthly."
    https://www.petplace.com/article/dr...-glycosaminoglycan-adequan-for-dogs-and-cats/

Not after loading doses, only monthly injections. Also, subQ injections are fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.