how long after eating?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MHHCoach, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

How long after eating is a glucose level affected?

Tux ate around 2.5 hours prior to the pm test, and the test came back really high at 278.

Thanks!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Many cats get a food bump at +1 after their preshot meal, so that is 1 hour after eating.
    As long as he did not eat for the 2 hours preshot that is ok

I am not a vetsulin user, but I see you are giving different doses every time, and sometimes skipping the dose and I can’t see the reason behind your choices of dose. This morning you gave 1 unit, when you have been giving 0.25, 0.5 or skipping. Then no tests during the cycle with the PMPS 278. I would suggest that Ashley has probably dropped low during this am cycle and has bounced up to the 278.

I would really recommend you get a test in every pm cycle around the +2 mark at least with vetsulin, and always test before every shot to see it is safe to shoot.

I am going to tag @Critter Mom as she has used vetsulin.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The normal recommendation is not to feed for two hours before the preshot BG check, so Tux is in the clear in that regard. The 278 may have an element of bounce influence from the 120s in the earlier part of the day (readings in 2021 Alphatrak spreadsheet). Also, a feed at that time may have wiped out any bit of residual benefit that might still remain from the morning insulin dose at that point in the cycle a bit earlier than usual, allowing numbers to climb that bit higher at preshot (speculating on this one).

Mogs

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh my goodness... my bad. I read the 2020 SS. :banghead:... but when I opened it up it said 2021 SS. Maybe change it to 2020 at the top to stop any confusion.
    Disregard what I said :confused: .. apologies.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

The SS was confusing. I also would suggest she changes it to 2020 at the top for her Dec readings

6. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) @Critter Mom

okay so I'm comfortable giving the modified doses when at 165/175 like a .5 unit. if above 175 he's done well so far with 1U. So is this sudden high fluctuation because he had several days so low?
    Is this still a good process that if under 165 I really want to stay away from giving anything, and modified dose from about 165-185, and above that is 1U (vet had originally wanted 2U always)

it's been almost a month on vetsulin. I can post this in the vetsulin chat as well.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Are you able to get some tests in during the pm cycle?

MHHCoach likes this.
  8. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

yep I did a few nights ago and will tonight

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.