How long for BCP PZI?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

I've been trying to remember how long a bottle of BCP PZI is good for once it is opened. My kitties were both on Lantus for quite a while and I don't remember.

I did just find this thread on the old board: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 23,1902321

It doesn't mention whether it is Indexx PZI, or BCP? I am wondering specifically about BCP PZI. Is that good to the last drop? Or is my time ticking on my opened bottle? I only have one of my kitties on the PZI and he only uses 2-3u in a day.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

We used to use it to the last drop. As long as you test the blood sugar you'll be able to tell if your insulin is pooping out.

I had two cats on it at the time, I guess it was about 3 months it would last before we used it up.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I remember it being 3 months - not from opened but from the date of manufacture. Prozinc is 2 years from date of manufacture. PZI Vet was 3 years from date of manufacture.

Here is the contact page for BCP:
    http://www.bcpvetpharm.com/contact.htm

You can call and report back.

Also the petdiabetes wiki page reports it being 6 months, sooo maybe I was wrong thinking 3 months?
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/BCP_PZI

4. tuckers mom

5. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

yes, the bottle says 6 months from manufacture... but I mean how long until it poops out once opened. Thanks for the info, glad to see it may last a few months :) Lantus doesn't last as long, but then again, my Acrokitty uses that one, so the cartridge doesn't hang around more than 2 weeks anyway... :(

6. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

It all depends on how well you treat the bottle.

BIV has told me that for ProZinc that as long as I treat the bottle well, it should last until the expiry on the bottle [not BCP yes but probably similar].

Keep it out of the light! Also it should be kept as close to 40 degrees F as possible [I calibrated the butter area of my fridge where I store it with a thermometer]. And lastly, try not to drop it or leave it out of the fridge overnight [I did both a couple times to my old bottle of PZI Vet and it worked for 10+ months].

7. tuckers mom

I've spoken to Jennifer at PZI, I believe she's the owner. I called her when I left the bottle on the counter. She told me that they have done tests and it's okay to leave the bottle out. I also did not treat my vials very well, I used to store them in fridge door, not on a shelf.

I used BCP for a couple of years and only tossed a vial once but it was my mistake, Tucker was having a CP flare and I was blaming a bad vial. I think you'll find the BCP holds up pretty well.

8. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Thanks for all the info! :)

I have always stored my insulins in the fridge door. I remember Jojo saying that hers goes for a ride in her fridge door several times a day as well and she said it was fine. I assumed that it would be ok for PZI as well. Hopefully? :)

I did drop this bottle once, it landed on carpet, so hopefully with a semi-smooth landing it is ok ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.