How much should a cat eat

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Paula Nowak, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

Elvis is 17.8 lb as of today and the vet wants Elvis to get down to about 12 or 13 lb before she's going to do the dental work. Elvis eats Fancy feast turkey and giblets pate and liver and chicken pate. I thought a few weeks ago that he was losing too quick but he hasn't really budged since the first weight which was 17.8 lb but then he lost 8 oz in a couple of weeks but now he's jump backed up to 17.8. Elvis is no longer getting insulin because his numbers have been in the 70's on a human meter for quite some time now about 3-4 months. He has gone lower like in the high 60s but only a few times in the last 3 to 4 months. Mostly what I'm wondering is how much food do your cats eat and which one of your cats is overweight and how much do you feed them. I haven't posted on my sheets because I got a new phone and everything just got gone and I've been going through a really hard time with and ex-roommate deciding to stay in the old apartment and accruing over $2,000 and then the old apartment saying that I'm responsible for that money when I wasn't even there but that's all over now since today because I went to court today and I won the case! So about how much to feed Elvis?? I called my vet today about a half an hour ago and they said that they were going to get back to me but it might not be until tomorrow. Elvis is funny sometimes he seems like he's hungry and he wants more food other times I can barely get a little more than a can in him and he still seems fine but I managed to get the two cans in half but then again lately I haven't been watching him that closely and I think he's been eating a lot more than that. It's just that I've been so consumed with issues that I've been going on with my past roommate but that won't be happening anymore since today like I said oh, I won the case.

2. Jordenne/Barb and Jospeh

Jordenne/Barb and Jospeh Member

From what I understand 2 cans of FF Classic Pates a day is maintenance levels for normal cat weight. My little man eats 2.5-3 and he is about 13lbs if memory serves correctly. I think with 20lbs you would need to get 3 cans in him at least without losing weight too quickly

3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

This is the formula I was given to maintain weight. Adjust to reduce weight

The cat's weight times 13 and add 70. So a 11 lb cat X 13=143 +70=213 calories/day

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm linking the section of Dr. Lisa's website where she discusses feline obesity. She has some good suggestions.

tiffmaxee and LizzieInTexas like this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Portion control.

Elvis needs to lose weight, but safely.
    3 cans of Fancy Feast may be too much.
    Buy yourself a digital scale, like a baby scale from Craigslist.
    Weigh once a week.
    1-2% weight loss a week to be safe.
    Adjust portions as needed.
    It takes time. Lots of time to safely get your cat's weight down.
    Active play time helps. Laser pointer, fishing pole toy. Something interactive.
    Read that article that Sienne and Gabby pointed out to you.
    I just linked it in another members post half an hour ago.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Activity level plays a role. My friend’s obese cat followed Dr. Lisa and lost weight He’s only getting 2 cans of fancy feast a day now and maintaining 15 pounds. It’s important not to lose too fast so weigh weekly and adjust as needed.