? How to be Braver When it Comes to Lower PS Numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So this is kind of a strange question, but I was wondering if any of you could give any tips/suggestions about this. Victor's "low" preshot numbers aren't even that low: always in the mid-to-high yellows, but I still get extremely uneasy about giving a full dose when it's in the high 200's and I'm pretty sure I've always given a reduced dose or skipped his shot altogether when I do get a reading like that, which I know isn't always the best thing to do, but I already have anxiety issues in general and I worry a lot more than I should and I just get stuck on the "what ifs" and the bad things that can happen, so this is something that I have really been struggling with.

I know that we have the HC canned food and the karo syrup if it's ever necessary but that still doesn't make me feel any more at ease about being more assertive when it comes to the lower preshot numbers. And when his BG levels have gone low enough before his nadir to require some intervention, I almost always end up resorting to the gravy from the HC food because to me it seems like just giving him a bit of his regular food doesn't have enough of an effect - his BG reading will be lower than the previous one instead of a little higher or around the same, which is what I assume should happen due to the food. I don't know if I'm maybe waiting too long between testing so maybe the effect wears off before I get to see it, or what.

I know there isn't really any kind of simple or definitive answer to this, but I would really appreciate any advice/tips if anybody has any.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The "trick" is to just do it slowly....Maybe decide you'll try shooting a 200 first....then see how that goes and if he goes a little too low for your comfort, see what type of food will bring him up and by how much. Keep good notes.

Gradually, that "no shot" number will come down as you gain more confidence in what you're doing and truly believe that you CAN handle no matter what happens!!

I've never seen anybody here that had to go to an ER if they were home testing and had the supplies they needed (except in a couple of instants where a large overdose of insulin was accidentally given or the cat got terribly sick right after the shot and they couldn't keep food down) but those are very rare.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris. You're at home to monitor closely and keep him safe. It's like any other anxiety-causing thing - gradual exposure to the thing you're afraid of goes a long way toward making it not so scary. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.