How to do a curve test with low PS numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AggyBear, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I don't think I know how to use the search engine. I look for key words but searched don't yield what I'm searching for. I read for a couple hours on here last night about curves but didn't find something with exact instructions. I wish I'd known I need to be doing these curves to know if the dosage needs changing.

From what I understand, after the beginning of a cycle you test every 2 hours. Do you withhold food?

Also, she's had low AMPS numbers (my sleep schedule is messed up so my "AM shots" usually end up in the afternoon) for the third day in a row. The first day I a decided to be cautious, second day looked what hypo numbers are + decided it was ok to shoot, third day/today read the following:

"How to handle a low pre-shot number:
    Skip the dose: If the number is below 200, and your kitty is newly diagnosed (less than three months), your best option is to skip unless your kitty has ketones or is post-DKA (see below) and you should post here or in the Health Forum for help."

So bc I shouldn't shoot if it's below 200, should I do the curve test at night?

What do you think if the reason for these new low BG numbers?

I really appreciate your help on this! -Sam + Aggy

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sam,

Basics for running a curve:

* Remove all food 2 hours before insulin dose is due. (Preshot blood glucose check needs to be a fasted reading.)
    * Do the preshot BG test (to check whether it's safe to give the next dose).
    * If preshot BG is below your 'no shoot' limit, don't feed yet, wait 20-30 minutes and test again to see if number is now above preshot limit.
    * If BG high enough to proceed, feed your kitty.
    * Wait the recommended time for your insulin after feeding and then administer the insulin dose.
    * Test every two hours up to and including the next preshot BG test.
    * During the curve cycle, feed your cat as you would on any normal day.

(NB: If at any time during the your cat goes too low, forget about the curve, feed to raise/keep numbers in safe range, and test frequently as dictated by BG levels to make sure cat is in safe range.)

Sorry I can't help with your more specific questions about the low preshot you got. I've not used Prozinc.

Mogs

AggyBear likes this.
  3. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Thank you so much for the info! I'm going to have to stay up all night or try to at least to do this at night.

In the note, what does "NB" mean?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

NB is a standard abbreviation for the phrase nota bene , Latin for 'note well' (i.e. 'important note').

Mogs

AggyBear likes this.
  5. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Thank you. I caught all but the +8 in last night's cycle and testing this cycle too. When you get a chance can you take a look at her spreadsheet?

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Hi Sam,

Great job with the testing last night. :)

I've not used Prozinc so I'm going to tag a couple of members with very good Prozinc experience to ask them to look at Aggy's curve for you.

@Deb & Wink
    @JanetNJ
    @Shelley & Jess

Here's Aggy's previous thread (on Feline Health):

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/agathas-dosing-change-needed-other-questions.243360/

Also, see Deb's reply on this thread (on Prozinc board):

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/agathas-dosing-change-needed.243357/

Mogs

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  7. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I got the curve test done over 2 cycles. I appreciate anyone's help in deciphering it.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

well done doing those curves. Normally I would say it looks like the dose needs a slight raise, but those low preshots the last few days have me baffled. Can you please, on the days you are home whenever possible, get a mid day number... and each evening get a before bed number? it might give us a clue as to why those preshots were so unusually low.

Shelley & Jess and Critter Mom like this.
  9. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Thank you! Yes, I can get some mid-cycle tests in. Should I try to get any specific +hour?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  10. JanetNJ

prozinc USUALLY peeks between 5-8 hours after the shot... so anytime in there will give you some valuable data. :)

AggyBear likes this.
  11. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Thank you, I got in some additional mid-cycle tests. What will be the next step in figuring out the appropriate dosing?

12. JanetNJ

Oh! 139 isn't bad! If it isn't a little lower after a few more days you could try 1.75. Lets see what the numbers say. :D

AggyBear and Shelley & Jess like this.
  13. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

Thank you, I'll get some more mid-cycle tests.

14. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I finished some several more days with mid-cycle testing, if you can look at it when you get a chance. Thank you!

15. JanetNJ

Hi you're getting some good numbers. I wouldn't change the dose at the moment. You Skipped the other night. How come?

AggyBear likes this.
  16. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I skipped that night so I could test + shoot in the morning/earlier in the day so I could try to regulate the time as it kept getting later in the day. Is that ok?

17. JanetNJ

Oh ok I was just wondering

18. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I was debating to make another post and saw on a post you commented yesterday re: a cat that is always hungry, "unregulated diabetics often need more. Just feed him as much as he is willing to eat."

My Agatha for the last couple weeks (2 or more) is always hungry and jumps on the counters anytime I go near the kitchen. This is unusual for her even in the last couple months with diabetes. I think I remember reading before that even though you want to help them feel better by giving them more food you shouldn't. But then I read your comment just now.

What do you recommend I do with Agatha? Also, I've continue to take mid-cycle BG tests, but don't know if they're random of plentiful enough yet. Thanks for all your help Janet!

19. JanetNJ

Oh! I see you hit green today, and nice pm preshot! I think stick with this dose longer. So are you asking what you should do about feeding? Is she a good weight? or a little thin? what does she currently weigh? While the rule of thumb is about 20 calories per pound of ideal weight, sometimes diabetics need extra, esp. while they are still often in the 300's like your baby. How much are you feeding now?

AggyBear likes this.
  20. AggyBear

AggyBear Member

I apologize for having let so much time pass! Putting my mind in order to write here seems stressful but I appreciate the help so much! When diagnosed January 7, 2021 she was 13lb but due to a couple spells of not eating, she likely lost some weight. She looks to be a good weight to me. I leave out the Wynsong Epigen kibble for free feeding but try hard to be able to pick up 2 hours before testings. After I test her, I give her ½ can Friskies pate + also some homemade chicken pate with a vitamin/minerals topper. Treats are dehydrated liver + tuna.

Like I said, she's been incredibly hungry evidenced by any time I move in the house she jumps to her counter where we test + feed. She wants food! I was giving ½ can but lately I've been putting a whole can twice a day; my other cat Freya eats from it too. Does that sound ok? Will her appetite be appeased when she's more regulated?

Also, her numbers have gone down pretty drastically. Can you take a look at her chart? Is this a sign she's getting more regulated?

Thanks in advance! -Sam + Agatha

21. JanetNJ

More wet food is a good idea if she’s hungry. I only used the dry as a treat.

22. JanetNJ

In a bit concerned your cat might might be going low overnight giving you an unbalanced number. What do you think about lowering that pm shoot so you get too shootable numbers? I would lower to 1 or 1.25 and see if you get a sortable number in the morning. Shooting less twice a day may bring that pm ps down. Can you get a be fore bed reading consistenly so we have a better idea what is happening at night? And whenever you are not working during the day, grab a mid cycle number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.