How to do curve WE DID IT!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amybee and Pandora, Oct 14, 2021 at 2:14 PM.

1. Amybee and Pandora

Amybee and Pandora New Member

So following Pandoras diet change, a second urine test has been done which shows no glucose.

Id still like to do a curve though to see her blood levels and how they change through the day. She’s not on insulin yet.

Can anyone point me towards directions / guidance for how to do a curve for a cat not on insulin? Not too sure how to time the tests around feeding etc she currently eats a small meal four times a day.

Thanks!

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

The curve would be made pretty much the same as for a cat on insulin just with out the shot and during the whole process you would feed him normally just remember that the first test would be with out having any food for at least 2 hours before doing it pretty much like you would do with the preshoot test then feed normaly and test every 2 hours if you are going to do a 12 hour curve or every 3 hours if you are making an 18 hour curve

3. Amybee and Pandora

Ok cool thanks!

she normally has breakfast at 5 so I’ll get up early!!

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

If you would like someone to set up your spreadsheet just ask we have a wonderful member that can do it for you

5. Amybee and Pandora

Thanks - I’ll set up a spreadsheet if the curve shows she does need insulin :)

6. Amybee and Pandora

I can’t believe it I’ve managed to do the first test!

she ate at 5am and I’ve just done it so that’s about 4.5 hours after eating.

she was so good! all through it she was dribbling in anticipation of her treat . Didn’t seem to notice the needle even though I had to poke twice (did it free hand).

Her BG was 5.3 (95) Alphatrak.
    Alarm set for 2 hours time.

I’m so proud of her!

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Well done getting the first test in.don’t forget the SS. We can’t help you without it.
    95 on the alphatrak meter is quite low. I would not leave it another 2 hours before testing again, did you feed her after the test?

8. Amybee and Pandora

At the moment she’s not on any insulin, we’re just doing the curve on the vets advice to see whether she needs it or not. Just tested again and she was 6.7 (121). She has her lunch at noon so in about 10 mins.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I didn’t realise!
    Well those numbers are looking very good.

10. Amybee and Pandora

Yes :)

she was 16.8 (302) in her vet blood test so the rapid diet change and lower stress levels seem to have made a massive difference!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.