Info How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids...Video

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marje and Gracie, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

We did this video with Gus because it seems many of our beloved kitties in LL need fluids at one time or another for various reasons. We hope it's helpful. PLEASE feel free to provide me with any suggestions for how it might be better. It's our first attempt and we can do it over or I can make some edits. So don't worry about any problems with suggesting something. We're used to doing these so we don't see it from the eyes of someone who hasn't done it yet. It isn't helpful if it leaves too much to the imagination ;-) :D :D

We also dedicate this video to our Gussie. He was an amazing soul loved by many. It is a great tribute to him that he has helped so many kitties by being a wonderful role model in this video and every day he got squids.

If your kitty is fractious or doesn’t hold still, you might want to consider an EZ IV Harness. It was specifically developed for giving cats subq fluids.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 7/28 OT: How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids...Video

That's a good video, Marge. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

AggyBear and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Marje and Gracie

You're Welcome, Dyana. Sorry I didn't get it done before you had to give JD fluids!

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you, Marje, Mike, and Gus for a very informative video. When we tried to give Stu fluids the vet just gave us a bunch of big syringes that we were supposed to fill with the fluids and shoot (no lines, just syringes and needles). We failed and had to take him to the vet for fluids.
    Your video would have been such a help. I shall bookmark it.

Ella

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Marje, great video explaining step by step how to administer fluids. You and Mike obviously spent a lot of time getting it together. Gus is so sweet and seems to love the attention. Thanks for doing it, and I know in the future It will be referred to for Maggie.

6. Re: 7/28 OT: How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids...Video

Marje,
    Thank you, a million times, thank you for doing this video! I have given Bob fluids about 35-40 times (nowhere near as much as Gus has had them), and I wish I'd seen this a year ago. Bob wasn't as behaved a patient as Gus, but he wasn't bad either. I had always gotten the bag of squids from the vet, with the line already set up, so I never had to set up the bag myself. Now if I ever need to give fluids in the future, I will be able to do that part of it myself, and buy supplies like you do online and save myself a good bit of money I'm sure. I had also never heard of the idea of putting the needles in the freezer before, so that's a great tip.

Thanks again,
    You, Mike and Gus did a great job!

Carl

7. Marje and Gracie

You're welcome, Carl. I wish I had had time to get it done sooner. I'm glad you think it might help you in the future :D

8. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

This is going in my bookmarks!

One suggestion - to tell people to be very careful removing the cap from the needle if it's sticky. Not sure if its just me but I've always had problems with that. I once yanked off a stuck cap and my hand reflexively jerked back and I stabbed myself through two fingers.

9. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Marje, thank you so much for making the video. It is so much better than other videos I have watched when I was learning how to do subq for Cleo. I will recommend that everyone watch this video before they start giving fluids.

Thanks so much and Gus is just the sweetest looking kitty!

10. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

This is awesome, Marje, thank you so much!
    Jane

11. Marje and Gracie

You're all very welcome and thank you for watching.

Camille.....I can probably add some text....that's usually the easiest way to edit.

Georgia....wish I'd done this for you before you started with Cleo. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Jane...thank you :D :D :D

12. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

That's a really good video and Gus is pretty and really mellow. Mary sends smoochies

The only thing I'd add is to tell people about cat restraint bags that are great for cats that wriggle or are not so mellow. If they google "cat restraint bag" or "feline restraint bag" they'll find plenty of examples and they are really easy to use and keep cats calm and leave your hands free for the fluids/meds.

13. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

thanks so much for making the video, marje & mike - and yes, Gus is quite the star! he has such a human face and i just wanna pet him!

i kinda cringed with the size of the needles, but if we get to this point with punkin, i'll do it cuz it has to be done. the video makes it look like anyone could do it. i don't have any suggestions - it looks really thorough to me.

btw, love your kitchen! ;-) :D

14. Marje and Gracie

Julie...thank you. Well....yeah those needles do look big compared to the insulin syringes we use. But most vets will give you 18g needles and they are like harpoons!! It's good to start with 20g and if the kitty will sit still like Gus, you can go to 21g. It doesn't take a lot longer than the 20g but for an impatient kitty, it might.

Mike has a special touch....he's really, really good at the sticks. Guess I taught him well. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Glad you like my kitchen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. julie & punkin (ga)

oh - one thing i was wondering, was that in real time? that was how long it took? or did you edit out some of the time he was getting fluids?

16. Marje and Gracie

We edited it out...takes about 10 minutes. There was only so much licking and purring that I thought you all could stand :lol:

17. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Kudos to you and Mike for creating such a wonderful video :D I'm sure many cats around the world will benefit from the information your provided. Thanks for dedicating your time and energy for the kitties. :YMHUG:

18. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Great video - thanks for taking the time to put this together - it will be very helpful for alone who has to do fluids. :cool:

19. Re: 7/28 OT: How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids...Video

On the harpoons.... I wish I'd known about the 21g thin-walled ones back when I was doing this to Bob. My vet sent me home with a pile of the 18g harpoons and they are frighteningly large. When you stick a needle in and you can feel and "hear" it go through skin.....I'm shuddering. That was the worst part of the whole ordeal. The only possible advantage to the 18g needles is that the fluid goes more quickly. We normally did 100ml, and I think it took about 6 minutes.

20. Marje and Gracie

You're welcome, Tam and Michelle.

Carl....well, the 21g only take about 10 minutes so it's worth it to go with a smaller needle if you can get Bob to chill for four more minutes. ;-) ;-) :razz: :razz:

21. julie & punkin (ga)

22. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Here's another good video

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.