? How to measure 1/4 dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chippy & Ingrid, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Have you seen the fine dosing sticky (link here) - there's an example of 0.25u if you scroll down. You can then apply the logic to 0.75, 1.25, 1.75, etc.

Chippy & Ingrid likes this.
  3. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Do your syringes have 1/2 unit markings? I hope so! For 1/4 increments you'd aim to get the plunger in between the 1/2 unit marking and the unit marking...so for .75u, you want the plunger to be between the .5u and the 1u markings. I recommend you use a magnifying glass and strong light to see what you're doing. I use a 10x eye loupe to measure Butters's insulin doses.

Here is a picture of what it would look like to measure .25u from this sticky on handling insulin and fine dosing.

[​IMG]

4. Chippy & Ingrid

Chippy & Ingrid Member

Yes, our syringes do have half unit markers. However, unlike the syringe in the picture, the half unit hash marks on our syringes are offset which makes it difficult to eyeball. The magnifying glass may be the trick! :)

5. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Ahhh...yes I know what you mean. The markings on my syringes are the same as yours. I don't know how I'd do it without strong magnification. Some people get a headband similar to this so they can be handsfree:
    https://www.amazon.com/Uarzt-Rechar...dchild=1&keywords=Uarzt&qid=1615294990&sr=8-1

I prefer to use a backlight and hold the eye loupe over the syringe. I use a lightbox...some people use an IPad with an app that makes the screen all bright light. But bright overhead light would work well, too.