How to switch food without causing a crisis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by idauria, Jan 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idauria

idauria Member

My newly diagnosed cat is eating Hill's Prescription W/D(prescribed after he had pancreatitis several months ago). Even though the vet says this food is ok, I am now understanding that this food has too high a carb content. If I were to switch his food, what's the best way to go about that?
    Thanks!

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, you need to gradually transition your kitty over a week to the new food to avoid stomach upsets.
    So say 75% old food - 25% new food for 2-3 days, then 50%-50% for 2-3 days, then 25% old-75% new for 2-3 days and then 100% new.

Tagging @tiffmaxee who is our resident expert on pancreatitis!

Linking your other post here - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-here.240854/

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

With pancreatitis in the mix, you might need to transition more slowly.

If, after changing the proportions at any stage in the transition, your kitty starts showing signs of nausea, if his poop starts getting too soft, or if diarrhoea results then go back to the mix that was working before for a couple of days until the digestive system settles down again, and then restart the transition but change proportions much more gradually.

Mogs

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. idauria

idauria Member

Thank you Mogs for that advice. I definitely don't want to aggravate his pancreas. I am trying to find a food that is lower in carbs than his current food but fat content is around the same(38%). Does that make sense?

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

In that case you'd be looking at foods with higher protein content. Is that 38% fat a dry matter value?

Mogs

6. Critter Mom

7. idauria

idauria Member

I actually got the Protein/Fat/Carb numbers from the cat food chart. According to the chart Hill's Prescription Diet W/D is 37/38/25.
    Thanks for that link!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.