Howie is flying back UP the scale

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Howiesmom, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I’m so frustrated...we got Howie down to 30 units as he saw so many greens when he was as high as 55 units. But that ship has sailed. Tomorrow I’ll be starting him at 39 units. I know cats need what they need but I wish I knew why he was flying back up the scale. His don’t shoot number for giving his R is 175. He likes to hang out just shy of that a lot of times.

@Wendy&Neko Is it time to revisit the 175 and maybe lower that a tinge? Can I increase his R dose by a whole unit instead of .5u since the R is still having little/no effect When he does get it? Any other thoughts, advice, encouragement? I guess it’s a good thing I got 3 boxes of Levemir this month. I’ll fly through that pretty quickly at this rate.

For those using cabergoline, how long do I wait before talking to my vet about a dose increase? If he’s not getting enough, I’d like to know sooner than later! I realize he hadn’t been on it very long but am just trying to figure out how long is too long at a dose.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

@Olive & Paula was one who had to increase Olive's dose, but I think it was based more on how the acro symptoms were controlled, not so much insulin dose.

Lev dose increases can be by 10-15% of total, 40 units is on a nice line if you want to try that.
    Sorry, remind me where the 175 came in?
    Take a look at how the R is changing his numbers. You want to limit the drop at R+4 by no more than 100 points. If a 1/2 unit change isn't getting you anywhere near that, try a unit change. Provided it's a cycle you can monitor of course.

The acro tumour can be a pain, changing dose needs out from under you.:banghead: All you can do is keep your running shoes on and chase after it. :bighug:

3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks, Wendy! The 175 don't-shoot number came from Sandy and Black Kittie when I first started out and she was coaching me. But I haven't seen her on the forum for a few months. I hope everything is OK with her (??). As for the R effect, you can seen on his SS that it hasn't been dropping him at all (or very little even if he gets an AM and a mid-day dose). Of course at the 36 unit L dose he was on, he most needed it his first cycle of 36 units OR when I test him at PM+3 before bed and I don't feel like giving him a mid-cycle dose in the middle of the night!!! UGH...this disease...so frustrating. I think that Mark's doesn't comprehend how or why I keep ordering so much insulin. When I originally started ordering from them last fall, he was only on 5 units :(

4. Wendy&Neko

OK, 175 regarding R dosing. Give it a try down to 150, but not with increased R amount to start. It might need a different scale.

Howiesmom likes this.
  5. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks for the advice, Wendy!

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

For those using cabergoline, how long do I wait before talking to my vet about a dose increase? If he’s not getting enough, I’d like to know sooner than later! I realize he hadn’t been on it very long but am just trying to figure out how long is too long at a dose.[/QUOTE]

Hi. I just saw this post from late Feb. How's it going now? How is Howie doing? What are you doing about the R? I give Darcy 6 units (like today) when he started out with a PS number of a little over 400. We got down to 329 at +3, but that's about it. I gave him six more units of R mid cycle. I'll check to see what happens there. It usually doesn't budge him too much.

I'm going to be starting my Cabergoline today/tomorrow. I guess I'd better be prepared for a lot of ups and downs.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am finally seeing definite improvements after Snuffles has been on cabergoline for about 2 1/2 months. The improvement is slight decrease in dose vice increasing dose and low, more consistant BGs. Like PS' just over 100.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks, Larry! This will remind me to be patient. I would love to see PS numbers in the 100s at all. Mine are all high 300s or into the 400s these days.

9. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Hi. I just saw this post from late Feb. How's it going now? How is Howie doing? What are you doing about the R? I give Darcy 6 units (like today) when he started out with a PS number of a little over 400. We got down to 329 at +3, but that's about it. I gave him six more units of R mid cycle. I'll check to see what happens there. It usually doesn't budge him too much.

I'm going to be starting my Cabergoline today/tomorrow. I guess I'd better be prepared for a lot of ups and downs.[/QUOTE]
    I increased Howie’s dosage of cabergoline up to .9mL last Sun per vet recommendations. .6ML that most people start is the low end of the dose. His BGs have been creeping up a bit into the 200s some. But he’s had an ear infection this week so the Reesaderm does elevate BGs some. He is up to 48units of Levemir and will probably go up to 53 units on Sunday if I don’t see anything in the low 100s. His highest dosage that broke the antibodies in January was 55 units.
    When his levels are in the 200s, he gets 8 units of R which doesn’t have major impacts so I’m still adjusting his scales. My problem is that I’ve been working back in the office lately so won’t give it to him in the AMs since I can’t test him until the evenings. How is Darcy doing otherwise?

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I increased Howie’s dosage of cabergoline up to .9mL last Sun per vet recommendations. .6ML that most people start is the low end of the dose. His BGs have been creeping up a bit into the 200s some. But he’s had an ear infection this week so the Reesaderm does elevate BGs some. He is up to 48units of Levemir and will probably go up to 53 units on Sunday if I don’t see anything in the low 100s. His highest dosage that broke the antibodies in January was 55 units.
    When his levels are in the 200s, he gets 8 units of R which doesn’t have major impacts so I’m still adjusting his scales. My problem is that I’ve been working back in the office lately so won’t give it to him in the AMs since I can’t test him until the evenings. How is Darcy doing otherwise?[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for sharing what's going on with Howie! Darcy is okay, I think? He SEEMS okay. I would like to see how he would behave if his blood glucose were lower. The bottle of Cabergoline says .4 ml, but the strength is 200mcg/mL. So I guess that is 80 micrograms per day? I understand about not being able to do the R when you're not at home!

11. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks for sharing what's going on with Howie! Darcy is okay, I think? He SEEMS okay. I would like to see how he would behave if his blood glucose were lower. The bottle of Cabergoline says .4 ml, but the strength is 200mcg/mL. So I guess that is 80 micrograms per day? I understand about not being able to do the R when you're not at home![/QUOTE]
    Howie’s cabergoline is 100mcg/mL and he is using .9mL. I’m not sure how they figure all that out. I believe most people on here also use that same strength.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Howie’s cabergoline is 100mcg/mL and he is using .9mL. I’m not sure how they figure all that out. I believe most people on here also use that same strength.[/QUOTE]

Regarding the strength of the Cabergoline. My vet mentioned that she was going to see if the pharmacy could increase the "strength" per mL so that the volume that I would need to give Darcy would be less. .4 mL isn't too bad, although who knows how much I will end up needing to give him. I hope Howie is doing better now.

13. Larry and Kitties

Snuffles got 400mcg/ml concentration. I mix 0.25ml with his food. It is from Wedgewood. When I started I thought I might have to squirt in mouth so I asked the vet to get concentration so I had to give about 0.25ml.

14. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

@Wendy&Neko I would love your thoughts on his SS. I just finished 8 cycles of 53 units. He had a nice day of greens yesterday but is back in blues. When should I look at an increase to 58 units. Ugh...his highest dose ever :(

Howie’s ear infections are gone but he has been shedding like it is summer. Does this have anything to do with any of his ailments?

15. Wendy&Neko

I'd hold his dose for now. Nadirs gives you a bit of wiggle room should his dose needs come down. He might be bouncing today.

Not that I've heard of. You make any food changes?

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank you, Larry. I will keep this in mind in case Darcy’s dose goes up a lot. Right now, he is okay with me squirting the .4 mL into his mouth, but if I need to increase the dose too much, I will ask Wedgewood for a higher concentration.

17. Suzanne & Darcy

and so that means that Snuffles is getting 100 mcg in his food daily. Darcy is only getting 80 mcg. I wonder if I should be giving more? He is a big cat.

18. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Nope! No changes at all! It’s so strange that he is shedding like this. Maybe the cabergoline? He had am AMPS of 81 today!

19. Larry and Kitties

How big is Darcy? Snuffles weighed 16.4# when the cabergoline was prescribed. Snuffles is all muscle because I can tell when I pick him up to test compared with my other cats.

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Wow. An 81. I'd like to think it was the Cabergoline, but I think it must be the insulin.......... he's getting more now. Darcy is stuck right now and I don't know what to do. I'm going to try Levemir, but we could still end up here again. More R?

21. Suzanne & Darcy

My cats all shed badly this time of year. I always attributed it to Springtime/increasing amounts of daylight. He's not getting bald spots or anything is he? Just overall shedding? Does his fur look thin?

22. Suzanne & Darcy

Darcy is 17.1 lbs. He's really gaining. I just told the vet he was 16.6 a few weeks ago when we ordered the Cabergoline. I just weighed him today. In 2019, before being diagnosed as diabetic, he was over 17 lbs, too. Of course, he is hungry all the time, but I think I'm feeding him too much and I need to cut back a little bit. I had been told to feed him as much as he would eat after his DKA.

23. Wendy&Neko

He's no longer recovering from DKA. Many acros will eat as much as you put in front of them, and go searching for more! Between you and your vet, pick and ideal weight range and feed to keep him there.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes, I know. And his ketones are down, too! :D I was just telling my kids... we first wanted to fatten him up after he got out of the hospital (he still had the feeding tube in for a few weeks as we made sure he took in enough calories and could recover from hepatic lipidosis) ... and we just never stopped! It's time to stop. Poor Darcy. He was down to 12 lbs. when he went into the hospital. He's sitting on the barstool right now waiting for his test/shot/food. He knows it's time.:cat: