I could really use some help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lettie, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lettie

Lettie Member

My son's cat Bubbles doesn't want to eat or drink anything. My son called me at work and I was able to come home and test him. He is just in the corner not feeling well. I'm not sure what to do. The vet doesn't have time to see him. Yesterday he managed to get in some dry food which he hasn't had for three months. What should we do?

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Any testing you haven't recorded?
    Checking for ketones?
    @Deb & Wink

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

He may have an upset stomach because of eating the dry food. Do you have any Original Pepcid or generic famotidine tablets? You can give 1/4 of the 10 mg tablet to him. If it is Pepcid, make sure it is the original and not the extended release tablets.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Look on the 2nd tab, I found the readings there.

5. Lettie

Lettie Member

All the tests are on his spreadsheet. The vet I was going to was really giving me a hard time for testing at all. No ketones.

6. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks Lisa! I didn't think of that :oops:

7. Lettie

Lettie Member

Thank you to both of you. I'm running to the store right now!!

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Most of us ignore our vets when they give us a hard time about testing. I just agreed to disagree with my vet when it came to testing. ;)

SashaV likes this.
  9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

When did the vet do the labs? There's no date.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to get more tests. It's great that you or your son are doing curves but more daily tests are needed. The minimum number of tests that are needed are the AM and PM preshot tests along with at least one test each cycle.

10. Lettie

Lettie Member

We gave the 1/4 ta
    I tried telling her that. She would not give up. I got so tired trying to work with her I gave up. I'm in between vets right now and I gotta tell you the new one who Bubbles is scheduled to see Thursday isn't earning any points today. The technician was supposed to call me 3 hours ago. We need insulin or I may have looked somewhere else.

11. Lettie

Lettie Member

I have this little voice in the back of my head right now (the vet I just quit) telling me I am unnecessarily harming Bubbles. Let me tell you if you could read the emails she sent me you wouldn't believe it.
    We are doing the tests a.m. and p.m. all the time before the shot. I never will do a shot without testing first.I'll try doing more but I work 45 hrs a week so there isn't alot of other time. We'll work on it.
    The labs were done when he was diagnosed in January. He has a visit with the new vet this Thursday.

12. Lettie

Lettie Member

We gave Bubbles the 1/4 tab at 2:30p.m.
    At 3:30 after we tested by he was interested in the food and ate a half a can and drank some water.
    Is it ok to give his normal shot at 5:30. He still isn't himself but I'm sure it will take awhile. Should I give him more provide before bed?

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes and I'd also try to get a couple tests before bed tonight if you can.

14. Lettie

Lettie Member

Thanks for your help as always Chris! Much appreciated to be able to get help!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  15. Lisa and Witn (GA)

If the new vet does not work out, let us know where you are located. We may have members near you that can recommend someone.

16. Lettie

Lettie Member

Bubbles didn't eat much before bed but his stool looked like it may have worms in it. My son had intestinal wormer and tapeworm wormer that he got from the vet in January. She told us not to worm him until his blood sugar was stable and that was January. So my son wormed him last night. The new vet's tech phoned 6 hrs later yesterday and told me I needed to go to our old vet since Bubbles hadn't been seen at the new vet yet.
    This morning at 5a.m. I gave him his normal shot but he didn't want to eat. I'm going home on my lunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.