I need advice!

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Kat2325, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kat2325

Kat2325 New Member

Hello everyone, I need advice about my 10 year old cat, General. He has been dx'd diabetic for 6 months or so,(his GB was in the 500's) and put on 2units of vetsulin. It has stopped working, he is starving all the time and he pees rivers. can someone suggest a different kind of insulin that would maintain his BG, My vet recommended Hills for diabetic cats. thanks!

2. Kat2325

Kat2325 New Member

I just need to know what kind of insulin to ask the vet for. thanks

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Will answer in a little bit. Need to take care of my crew.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The problem may be the dose, not necessarily the insulin. If you are willing to learn how to home test it will make all the difference in knowing when the dose is too much or not enough. Insulin doses are not a set and forget thing. It fluctuates. It could be his insulin needs have changed. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Janet said what I was going to say. What often happens is:
    • the kitty is diagnosed
    • vet wants kitty at the clinic weekly (or some other interval) for a blood glucose curve
    • vet stress results in higher the usual BG numbers
    • vet raises dose, often in whole units
    • kitty's next curve shows higher numbers so dose is raised again
    • too much insulin causes BG to rebound even higher and all the symptoms of diabetes continue - excess drinking, peeing, hunger, etc.
    Another scenario is that a dose is prescribed at diagnosis and left as is with little or no BG monitoring. It might not be the best dose or kitty's insulin needs change and it looks like the insulin isn't working.

We can help you sort out all of that if you're willing to learn to test General's BG at home. It's easier than you think and becomes routine in no time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.