I tasted Wellness

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

And it tastes pretty much just like it smells. I sampled the Turkey variety but couldn't discern a fowl taste. Foul, on the other hand, yes. :lol:

It really wasn't that bad, although I don't think I will ever feel the need to taste cat food again.

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are having a WILD Sunday!! How much did you eat?

H eats the Turkey - less of it lately. I'll make sure to let him know Sarah will eat it. :D

The Wellness Herring flavor [blue can] which H also eats smells REALLY nasty and would probably taste so too. Yuck.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Ewwwwww! You are a brave soul. Did Dave bet you? What got into you? Besides the Wellness I mean. :mrgreen:

4. Sarah and Buzz

I imagine that my review will turn kitties everywhere onto Wellness Turkey; perhaps I can get some kickbacks. ;) Herring just sounds disgusting. I am secretly sort of glad that Buzz is allergic to fish so that I never have to buy her any fish flavors.

I didn't eat much, basically the tiniest amount you can eat and still get an idea of the taste. No bets, I just figured that I would see what it tasted like. Plus with this cold I can't taste as much as normal anyway, so I thought it would be a good time to do it. It's a grey rainy day here and I get my kicks where I can, I guess. ;)

5. Gator & H (GA)

I bet a good way to try wet cat food is to spread it on a cracker like pâté.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Sarah, did you test your BG before & after to see if it gave you any food spike? :lol:

Seriously though, you get today's bravery points!!! Sadly, there is little competition ;-) but hey, gotta take points when you can get them, right?

7. Sarah and Buzz

Or for the larger appetite, perhaps spread on bread like a liverwurst sandwich?

8. Sarah and Buzz

Haha, no, I did not check my BG but at least I know my snack was low carb. ;)

I will take points where I can get them, that is true. All of us are pretty brave, though, when it comes to caring for our kitties. I bet none of us imagined this aspect of pet ownership when we signed up. :)

9. Gator & H (GA)

Yes good idea, I used to eat braunschweiger and mayo sandwiches a lot as a kid - they are surprisingly good.

I never imagined I'd have to clean cat diarrhea off the walls.... lol [at least he AIMED for the litter box]

10. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

My stinky cat is getting stinky again. The worst is when he tries to help clean it up, gets it on his paws, and then tracks it through the house. Not to mention the timing of his deposits ...

Sarah, I snorted when I read the title. Luckily I wasn't snacking at the time.

11. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

There was a story on the old FDMB about a bean whose inlaws showed up unannounced. She fed them Fancy Feast Salmon pate on crackers. I have no idea if it is really true, but hilarious none the less.

12. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Sarah--OMG!! Did Buzz give you a funny look? You are very brave--don't think I could do it even if I was on one of those tv game shows:)
    btw, I was at petco sat stocking up on new varieties, an employee saw me with the J&B lists and asked what I was looking for. So I told her I needed lc for a diabetic kitty and she tried to sell me kibble!! Then, after I told her it was the worst thing to feed, she grabbed a can of blue mtn, and was looking at the label saying it was really good. So I referenced the charts and told her it was too high--poor thing looked so confused, then looked at me like I had been smoking crack!! Just about every time I'm buying cat food, I get questioned by peeps and then they either get really curious about fd, or look at me like the crazy cat lady that I am;) Of course, I usually have 4-5 pallets of canned food in my cart--and everyone is astounded to find I only have 2 cats.

Do they sell wellness at petsmart? Thinking about trying it.

13. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Its so funny you mention the reactions people give you. Most employees try to help, but can't at my petsmart. And most customers come to me with questions since apparently it looks like I work there when I walk around with J&B's lists! I haven't found wellness at my petsmart, but maybe yours will be different.

14. Sarah and Buzz

It is interesting what pet store employees will think and say, that's for sure. I had one cashier at Petco telling me that I really shouldn't be feeding canned food because of the tooth thing, which I couldn't blame her for because I had fallen for that too. So I explained to her the very basics of it and she looked very skeptical and told me she would research it on the internet before passing along that "possibly bunk" advice to her customers!! What?!?!

As for Petsmart selling Wellness, they don't. I asked one time and was told that only Petco carries it because it is Petco's brand, which is patently untrue. Petco will have some good online sales with free shipping, so you could try to get some there, or from PetFoodDirect. I like PFD because they sell the large (12.5 oz) cans whereas Petco sells the 3 oz and 5.5 oz.

Kelly, how funny that people think you work there when you have your lists and such. You probably know more about cat food than some of the people there, so if you ever need a second job, I'm sure they would be happy to hire you. ;)

15. Gator & H (GA)

I was in a fancy shmancy pet food store in Santa Monica last week. After the clerk girl hearing me go on about H's food requirements, she said "have you ever considered raw?" LOL, so I went on my diatribe about raw diets [that most contain the whole animal with bones which is too much P and the way our food industry processes our meat etc.]. Anyway, I think I'm probably the first person ever to challenge the wisdom of raw diets to her and her eyes just glazed over [especially when I started in about 0.5% - 0.7% DM being appropriate P for cats]. She eventually said, "I think you should make your own" and I said "I do." LOL She pretty much ignored me after that - I think it was easier for her to pretend I didn't exist.

16. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have any small pet stores in your area? I have found 2 in my small city that sell Wellness. I asked them if I could order the big 12.5 oz cans by the case. They both looked it up and have given me better prices than PFD and I don't have to pay shipping. And one of them has Merrick's Cowboy Cookout which we tried. Blackie likes it, it's lower in fat and low in phosphorus, so I'm going to get some more of that.

17. Sarah and Buzz

I just started feeding Cowboy Cookout too! Cricket is a huge fan; he buried his face so far in the bowl last night that he looked like Maui in her "learning how to eat wet food" photos. I like that it is lower in fat than Wellness. I will check out the local small pet store and see if they can order by the case and how their prices compare to PFD. Thanks for the idea, Ele!

18. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Loving everyone's stories, too funny!!! I have to say the FF Salmon does actually look decent to me... I'd probably be fooled, and it doesn't smell bad either. Wouldn't want to eat it nevertheless ;-) especially having read the ingredients list (where's a barfing smily when you need one?) but I can see the in-laws thinking it's a tasty treat. EWWWWWWW....

I still have to clean off Bixie's nose all the time (canned food, nothing grosser thankfully ;-) ) and he has one spot under his canine on his face where he often has a small food clump. I guess all the years of dry food, he just never learned to wash his face right? He really is a slob, my other kitties would never get caught with food on their tidy faces!!!!! Don't think he's ever pulled a full Maui though. :)

Our Petco has started carrying the 12.5 oz cans. The price on the small cans is so insane I only buy them there if I goofed and the cupboard is empty (I think they made some mistake in pricing the bigger ones b/c it's not as marked up as their usual fare... but I'm not telling them!!!!). I think the price came out to about the same as ordering online once shipping is figured in, but I like being able to zip to the store when I want and buy it there. They also have pretty good coupons with the Petco card (I still haven't figured out why I have a Petsmart card - I don't think they've ever sent me even one coupon from it).

That is a fab idea Ele, I don't think there are any small stores near enough to me to make it worth asking, but I'll have to think about that.

19. Gator & H (GA)

Petco has pretty high prices to begin with. The Petsmart card thing the coupons are based on minimum purchase level over I think 3 months and it seems they have recently raised it to something insane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.