Iams Max Cal - 330 calories 3% carbs

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karrie and Maverick, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I just called Iams and the carb content for MaxCal is only 3%. The calories per can in MaxCal is 330 calories.

I am posting this alone for those advisors on here and Lantus Land who see a cat not eating or not getting enough calories.

A cat cannot eat less than maintenance calories for a period of weeks, or total anorexia for a few days without the possibility of developing liver failure - feline hepatic lipidosis. A cat's liver can't process body fat like ours does, but clog with the fat it processes for energy when not getting enough calories from food. Overweight cats are more likely

Also in the case of diabetic keto acidosis (not enough insulin, not enough food and infection trio) - calories are critical for recovery (including other measures) - with a cat needing 1.5xs the normal amount of food.

For those that see a cat recovering from DKA or not eating enough calories, please recommend the iams maxcal diet. Per ml/cc/ounce its a much larger calorie bang.

A/D is only 170 calories a can.
    Wellness Chicken is 200 calories a can and 2-4% carbs.
    I have heard that some kitten food is very high in calories. I have not been able to find this in Canada.

There is a yahoo group dedicated to helping people assist feed (Yahoo Feline Assisted Feeding) - either by finger feeding/active feeding, oral syringing, and tube feedings. Feeding tubes are very common in cats and through this board many members see cats recovering from illness with the assistance of feeding tubes.

2. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.