Im going crazy with all these new symptoms

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lando demando, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

I am hoping for some reassurance or cheering on. Since i started Landos Insulin 8/18 he had anorexia, suspected pancreatitis and today is having trouble breathing! He had lots of mucus and runny eyes. Am i doing something wrong!? This feels like an avelanche.

i stopped the curve i started today, but will continue with his insulin. Unless its dangerous to shoot when a cat is VERY congested

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry no one has responded, I hope you took him to the vet today :bighug:

Lando demando likes this.
  3. DArcey and Buddy

DArcey and Buddy Member

I’m not an expert, but I am really sorry to hear you and your kitty are going through all this.

With the trouble breathing, if it has not resolved, you may want to go to the vet.

In terms of the pancreatitis and the anorexia, I hope I can offer some reassurance. When a cat is dealing with pancreatitis, they often stop eating, so the anorexia may be caused by the pancreatitis- and with the right meds, you can likely get both under control. My cat Buddy was in the hospital a month ago, and one of the main things that put her there was very severe pancreatitis (as well as DKA). It was so bad that the vets suggested we might have to put her to sleep. A few weeks later, with the right meds, she is eating well, has regained weight, and is back to her normal self.

For a long time, she only had “suspected” pancreatitis as well, and so we did not have any meds for her. She would stop eating, and sit in the meatloaf position, and generally not be feeling well when she would have flare ups of the pancreatitis. Now, with the proper meds, she seems to be thriving.

The standard treatment is usually a pain med (either gabapentin or bupenorphine, sometimes both) and an anti nausea med (cerenia or ondasentron, and sometimes both). Depending on the severity and how hesitant to eat they are, they could benefit from an appetite stimulant as well (Buddy needed one at first, mirataz, but no longer needs it at the moment).

Thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck. I would ask the vet for some pain meds & anti nausea meds, and see if they help, as they made a huge difference for us.

4. Lando demando

Thank you Diane and dArcy,
    I think i just needed some hand holding.:( I was able to convince my vet to squeeze me in today to see the head vet tech. I hope that ( like a nurse) she has all the info expertise to help Lando.
    DArcy, its also helpful to know that Buddy got through the initial rollercoaster beginning. Tough to know when its a “snowball decline” or just bad luck that can be overcome. Thank you both

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You are welcome Chelsea , anytime
    Please let us know how you make out :bighug::bighug:

6. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Good luck today!

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Very good and encouraging, I'm glad Buddy was given a chance :)

@Susan Pomo Maybe this will help you.

8. Lando demando

Thanks again for the support Diane, Darcy and Smorgasbord! It turns out my vet was able to see Lando ( not vet tech) and his lungs and fever turned out to be normal. He got antibiotics since the vet said we wanted to avoid another round of not eating. Fingers crossed and really want to keep my head better moving forward!
    All the replies helped so much.

9. DArcey and Buddy

DArcey and Buddy Member

So glad to hear this! Antibiotics along with the other meds helped Buddy a lot in the last month! I hope it will be the same for Lando :bighug:

10. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You may want to also give him l-lysine in case he has an upper respiratory infection. That will help strengthen his immune system. If you have multiple cats give it to all of them until Landon's symptoms clear up. URI can easily be passed between cats.

11. Lando demando

Thanks Lisa, is that over the counter ( i think you are in GEORGIA)? Yes i believe the infection already played out in my other two senior cats. They seemed to shake it off right away.

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

You can find it anywhere vitamins are sold but you will need a pill crusher. I think some of the health food stores and pet stores sell it in powder form. Even if the other cats are over it give it to all of them until everyone is healthy. BTW it also helps when you have a cold. :D

13. Mocha's_mom

Mocha's_mom Member

14. Lando demando

Wow those antibiotics fixed him right up! Now onto the first full day curve tomorrow. landos numbers have been higher than when he was first diagnosed

DArcey and Buddy likes this.
  15. Lando demando

@Lisa and Witn (GA) @Mocha's_mom @smorgasbord @DArcey and Buddy , i took your advise and ordered the lysene ( should arrive in a few days) wouldnt ya know it! Lando starts runny nose sneezing again today! Do you all think lysene works mid infection?
    It looks like the virus / bacteria is on a two week cycle, or just cycling though my 3 cats

16. Lisa and Witn (GA)

If it is a URI it can cycle through all of the cats, sometimes repeatedly. That is why you should keep giving to all of them the l-lysine until everyone is clear of the infection.

17. Lando demando

As soon as it arrives i will have EVERYONE on it. Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.