I'm new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jjarosz, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jjarosz

Jjarosz New Member

My cat tabby was diagnosed with diabetes, she's 4 yrs old and is 20 lbs. We took her to the vet about some issues, weight gain, drinking a lot of water, change in behavior and wanted her checked for fleas cause her skin is always twitching. The did a CBC and said her glucose was 300, but I don't know something just didn't seem right. When they called me about it they said they were going to do a urinalysis to know for sure, and that she peed in their crate, it was not done they said they couldn't do it. They put her on Glycobalance dry food
    She will not eat it n when she tried it she threw up. Tabby gets very stressed in a car, she'll pee, cry. gag.
    Can this increase her levels?
    They gave me insulin but unless I know 100% I won't give it yet, I've changed her food, she eats at certain times
    I called the vet but I had to wait because he wasn't in regarding the food he said he would rather her be on the Glycobalamce not wet food.
    I have been researching this and something still isn't right. I've seen where people are talking about a
    fructosamine test, what is it?
    Thank you for any help

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Glycobalance is not a diabetic friendly food. Find a low carb wet food. Many people here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. I feed weruva foods. No need for perscription, esp dry. That food is somewhere around 25% carb, you want under 10.

A fructosamine test is used to diagnose diabetes. It's a blood test that will tell the average bg over 2-3 week time. They didn't do a fructosamine test? They are basing this on one blood glucose test? Consider getting a second opinion.

I suggest you buy or borrow a blood glucose meter. Test from home after getting him on an appropriate food. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Jarosz,

Yes, stress can increase blood glucose, and urinalisis is not the most accurate way to measure diabetes. As Janet said fructosamine is a better test because it gives you a picture beyond just right now.

If you could test at home, it would allow to follow here for a few days, her response to food, etc without the stress of the vet. It seems initially overwhelming but most of us get the hang of it after a few trials. Some people worried about hurting the cat, but I don't believe it can hurt that much since my cat will jump from anywhere in the house and comes by himself to the testing spot when he heard the noise of me opening the testing strip cannister. He does always gets a treat afterwards... so whatever pain he feels must be worth the treat given his eagerness to get tested ;)

I think vets want to do the best they can, but they also need to make money and they have lots of cats to look after with many different conditions, so knowledge (data from home tests) will make you the expert so you can make the best decisions.

It is all very overwhelming to begin with, but ask as many questions as you like as folks here are very nice and patient!

4. Jjarosz

Jjarosz New Member

Attached Files:

5. Jjarosz

Jjarosz New Member

This is all that I got from them, looking for s 2nd opinion

6. Jjarosz

Jjarosz New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.