in need of a cat shrink!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia Rae, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I am at my wits end with civi cat Bright eyes, Magellan's little sister. We have 4 cats and yuk 5 boxes that get cleaned at least daily and often 2x. As I cannot stand the stink, we have not changed litter and it is the same that we have been using for over 5 years. Yet Bright eyes has started using my bed to be exact my pillow as a litter box!I have even went to the expense of getting calming collars for all 4 of the cats. This has been going on now for a week! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

One cat I once knew, started with this in her ailing old age years.

Julia Rae likes this.
  3. Luxe

Luxe Member

One of mine started doing this because i think he's jealous of our newly diabetic cat "getting all the attention". Im like you really dont have to be jealous of the ear pricks and pokes and having no privacy because i gotta be all up in there with ketostix.

Julia Rae likes this.
  4. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

It always worries me that when they start doing something out of the ordinary like this for no apparent reason they're trying to tell us something is wrong health wise. I've had this happen in varying degrees with three different cats.

One kitty I was especially connected with did everything he could to get my attention. There were two other adults in the house, but he targeted me. Piddle on the rug beside my shoes (thought he was upset I had gone out, he was known to get upset but the piddle was new). Piddle in my bathroom, somewhere I was known to go everyday, multiple times a day - found on the floor mat in front of the sink and in my walk-in shower, and finally I was in the middle of an outdoor project, using a rubbermaid tub to lug my tools inside every night. I have no idea how he got up on that tub with no lid and balanced on a bunch of hammers, drills, tape measures and whatnots to piddle in the tub.

This is my extreme example, and was difficult to figure out what was going on. He had Hyper-T (treated) and EPI (controlled), ended up being colon cancer. I'm not telling you this to scare you just to emphasize how ingenious they can be when trying to tell you something.

ETA - Upon DX the behaviour stopped.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Julia Rae likes this.
  5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree when cats suddenly change their behavior that it usually means something is wrong. You probably should have her checked by the vet to rule out any medical issues.

I remember years ago that a few members used an animal communicator to help find out what was going on with their cats, but don't remember who they recommended.

Shelley & Jess and Julia Rae like this.
  6. Julia Rae

We have an apt for her to be seen. Due to the fact that the vet did not think it was an emergency she will be seen after the new year!

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Since it's a sudden change id bring him to the vet. He might have a UTI or kidney issues.

Critter Mom and Shelley & Jess like this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd call another vet. I wouldn't wait two weeks.

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. It may not be anything serious, however, until a vet checks her out, you don't know.

Julia Rae and Shelley & Jess like this.
  10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments of others above that the inappropriate elimination may be your little one's way of flagging that something's wrong - possibly a UTI, but an overall check-up's sensible.

I agree with Janet: better to find a different vet who will see her sooner.

Mogs

Julia Rae and Shelley & Jess like this.
  11. Julia Rae

I would love to be able to do this. But it is the only low cost/ sliding scale vet in the city.

12. JenMorri88

JenMorri88 New Member

I had this too, only when my cat began to estrus, she constantly went to the toilet, on what was lying on the floor, and everything that we put there immediately became wet ...

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a sprag. :(

The only other thing I can think of to suggest to you, Julia, is to ask whether there might be another vet that might see her as a one-off in an emergency if you were to tell them that your regular vet can't offer an appointment till the new year. (Clutching at straws here.)

Mogs

Julia Rae likes this.
  14. JoAnne70

JoAnne70 New Member

I agree with the others that there may be an underlying medical condition. My awesome cat Toki started to use my bed and couch as litterboxes - it turned out he was having an acute pancreatitis episode, and he felt more comfortable evacuating on the bed than in the litterbox.
    Unfortunately, once a cat chooses a new spot, it is not so easy to change their mind, even when they get better. After resolving his pancreatitis, blocking access with aluminium foil, using Febreeze (to remove the last traces of smell that washing could not remove), Toki is back to using his box again.

Julia Rae and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.