In remission, question about joint supplement

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by j lance, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j lance

j lance Member

My boy has been in remission for four months and has an ongoing issue with arthritis. Has anyone tried Joint Purrfection? Some online sites say it shouldn't be used for cats with a history of diabetes. I was wondering if a cat in remission could use it. He already takes Cosequin daily with no issues and it has some of the same ingredients. Joint Purrfection claims it has no sugars or starch. It does have glucosamine and chondroitin and also MSM. I'm not sure what MSM is. I emailed the Joint Purrfection company but have no response yet.

jay

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Joint Purrfection, but MSM is sulfur, a natural anti inflammatory. I take it myself and give it to my older horses. I've never used it in a cat before though, but I imagine it would work fine for them too! If you try it, let us know how it works.

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

@j lance - I would be careful.

Vyktor was first diagnosed with FD after I had been giving him a human glucosamine, chrondroitan, msm mix for arthritis. I can't know that's what caused it but he didn't have any other risk factors and I also read afterwards that these type of supplements can cause FD in cats if the glucosamine balance isn't just right for cats. After going OTJ Vyktor relapsed three years later, straight after I started giving him a cat specific arthritis formula of glucosamine chrondroitan. At that time he also had dental issues so it could have been coincidence. Since you are already giving cosequin I would not add another similar supplement that might mess with the balance.

CarolineSnow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.