? Increase or no?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LindsayF, May 4, 2019.

1. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

hi all! My girl has been consistently for the most part in the 300’s at PS... I checked her at +4 and +6 today and she was still in the 200’s.... I’m just not sure if the 1unit is enough for her? Thoughts?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, you'll need to increase. It will also be important to keep getting as many mid-cycle tests as you can so that you'll know when the insulin is getting a better response.

3. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

4. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Increase .25 right?

5. Djamila

Oops. That would have been helpful info, huh? ;) Yes, Increase 0.25u and see how it goes for 3-4 cycles. My hunch is that you're going to need a few increases, so those mid-cycle numbers will help us know next steps.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Djamila

Oh, I just saw your comment inside the bubble up there! It's unlikely you'd feel a wet spot on such a tiny dose. Insulin has a very strong wet-bandaid smell though. If you stick your nose in her fur and sniff, you can't miss it. That's the best way to know if you missed. And don't let it stress you - they happen to all of us once in awhile.

7. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

So today was a much better day minus her high amps! She was 124 at +6 and now at pmps she is 206 now.... I gave her 1.25 this morning confused on what to do now?

8. Djamila

Lindsay - really great job today! And good job sticking with the dose despite the lower PS tonight. It can be hard to hold steady when you get a number like that. If you ever get something in the blues, you'll want to post for help, and if no one is around, then reduce the dose. But shooting on the 206 was a good call. Hopefully you'll see a lower PS in the morning too. Fingers crossed....

LindsayF likes this.
  9. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Just tested her at +4 and she was 196. Setting an alarm for +6... she did just eat as well.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Looks like the tiny increase is getting a good response! Don't be afraid of those reds, she's probably just bouncing from the blues :cool:. It can take 3-5 cycles to clear and see how the dose is really doing :).

LindsayF likes this.
  11. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

I slept through my alarm at +6 so mad at myself!

She was 403 this morning though... she’s all over the place. Wish I could be home to check her today but unfortunately I’m at work :(

12. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Can you clarify a cycle to me? Is that 2 shots or 1 shot? Or what is considered a cycle?

13. Djamila

12 hours = one cycle. So there are two cycles per day. I was confused about that when I was starting too!

14. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Thank you!

15. Yong & Maury GA

Sorry Lindsay! Sometimes I forget to add the clarifications :facepalm:

16. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

190 at PMPS should i do her Normal 1.25?

17. Yong & Maury GA

Lindsay, sorry I was not around! But it looks like you were fine to hold the dose :). She seems to have cleared her bounce pretty quick, which is good to know! If she gives you a similar PS in the morning, I might reduce the dose to 1.0U for the next cycle. Maybe someone else will chime in :D.

18. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

I was nervous but I’m checking her every so often!!! Thanks for responding :)

19. Yong & Maury GA

Will you be able to get any more tests tonight? I hope she's not wanting you to have a pajama party :coffee:.

20. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

I just took one at +4 108! Now I’m nervous lol... I am gonna set an alarm and hope I don’t sleep through this one... I’m setting it for 12 which is +6...

21. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Super confused on her numbers!!!!! She was so good all night then around +6 she starts getting higher... she was above 400 this morning...

22. Yong & Maury GA

It's ok, it's probably a bounce :p. Great job last night! *I'm totally guessing right now* but it wouldn't surprise me if she was yellow or pink for her PMPS. If that holds true, then she might need a reduced dose tonight. :)

23. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

She actually has a blue number!!!! 163! I’m going to stall and test again in 20! Suggestions on dose?

24. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Well she was just 468!

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That red number looks like a bounce to me. :) Not unexpected after the low blue...looks like she might be close to clearing it.

26. Yong & Maury GA

She seems to clear bounces faster than the average kitty :smuggrin:

27. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

What do you all think about me holding her dose at 1? I kinda want to Increase it back to 1.25 based on the blue numbers I was getting with that dose.... almost testing time!

28. Djamila

Hi Lindsay - sorry no one was around yesterday. yes, I think increasing to 1.25u is a good idea. Zoe may need a few increases to start to get into some better numbers, so keep an eye on the nadir, and as long as it's staying in the blues, you can increase every 3-6 cycles.

LindsayF likes this.
  29. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

102 at +4.5 kinda nervous lol she did eat a good bit after o tested.

30. Djamila

No need to be nervous. That's a perfectly safe number, and you're a good ways into the cycle already. The snack will likely let her surf along nicely until she starts to rise.

LindsayF likes this.
  31. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Much happier with her AMPS number of 272

32. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

:(And back up to 485

33. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Going to increase to 1.50 tonight.

Djamila likes this.
  34. Djamila

That looks like a good decision. It would be nice to see Zoe get some lower PS numbers. Hopefully increasing will start to bring those down a little.

LindsayF likes this.
  35. Yong & Maury GA

Those blue numbers are lovely and purrfectly safe:), so not surprised that she's spending a little time on the trampoline :p.

36. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Hoping for some blues tonight all she was very cranky at test time!!!!! I only use one ear I may need to start switching it up

37. Yong & Maury GA

Ah yes, I try to switch every few days. Also, you can smear a teeny tiny dot of antibiotic ointment on their ear after you test and are holding the poke spot to stop bleeding. Helps the ear heal and reminds you which ear you last poked :smuggrin:.

Djamila likes this.
  38. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

And 505 this morning which is her highest number ever

39. Djamila

Ugh. I'm so sorry. That's unfortunately pretty normal though. She probably went a little lower than she's used to last night, so her liver dumps glucose and makes for an ugly morning number. Give her a few cycles though, and she'll settle down. When that happens, it can typically take 3-6 cycles to clear and get better numbers again, so try not to stress if you see some higher flatter numbers today.

40. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Glad to know it’s normal even though unfortunate. I kept with the 1.50 and wish i could be home to test her today but i won’t be. Hoping for a better PMPS number but will expect it to be high as well..... thanks :)

Djamila likes this.
  41. Djamila

Some cats clear out the excess glucose faster, but most take a couple of days.
    I'm feeling like this today too. Work really does interfere sometimes! ;):bighug:

42. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Right! Lol

43. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

But I spend $250 a month on cat food so I need to work hahaha

Djamila likes this.
  44. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

150 at pmps ‍♀️

Rachel likes this.
  45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That's a lovely PMPS! Looks like she cleared that bounce really fast. Don't be too surprised if she's kind of high in the morning...she might bounce again (or she might not!). When you get a chance, would you fill in the dose for this morning? It'll be good data to have and we'll all forget what it was in a few days (or at least I will...my memory is terrible!)

Yong & Maury GA and LindsayF like this.
  46. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

258 at +3 gonna check her again around 11!

47. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Confused again.... a good morning number and at +7 she was good too. At pmps 515!!!

48. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

97 at PMPS! Skipping dose!!!!

Rachel likes this.
  49. Djamila

I wonder what happened during the day that caused her to get a 97 and then stay low through +4.....? Will you be able to do a curve this weekend?

50. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

It was actually 91 I typed it wrong! I have no idea but I was shocked!!!!! I’ll do a curve Saturday! She seemed fine. This morning she was 317 so I did the normal 1.50 dose. Think that was the right thing to do?

Djamila likes this.
  51. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

118 at +11. I’ll test her again at 6 the normal time but what do you think I should do again if she’s under 150?

52. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

She was 276 :woot: so I’m gonna do 1.50 as normal.

53. Djamila

Yes, they can rise steeply in that last hour. Even just ten minutes can make a huge difference at that point in the cycle.