injecting

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fluffsmom, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

I notice after i inject there is a small amount (drop) of meds on the needle.
    Is this normal? Am i giving less dose because of it? What is a normal glucose range for diabetic cats? Im using a pet glucose meter

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If the needle is all the way in and the plunger all the way down there should be nothing left. Are you pulling the syringe out with the plunger all the way down? Some members have had problems with the seal/plunger on Monoject syringes, I've used them forever and never seen that. Syringes have expiry dates, check yours.

3. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

needle seems to be in and i push plunger all the way down. The needles are by Ulti. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt

4. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

maybe it is just what is left in the needle itself?
    they are not expired

5. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

i think its because i need to leave the needle in longer. I think i am pulling the needle out too fast

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Theoretically there is some in the needle but the amount is so small it shouldn't leave anything visible. Just push the needle in, then the plunger, then pull out slowly.
    Stupid question time. Do you know what a fur shot is? You've either poked through the skin to the other side or have not pushed in far enough. Never give another shot after doing this no matter how sure you are you've missed. We've all done it, it's not the end of the world.

Fluffsmom likes this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here are the instructions for injecting Lantus with a syringe:
    STEP 4: COMPLETE THE INJECTION
    • Administer insulin—Slowly push in the plunger of the syringe all the way, making sure you have injected all the insulin. Leave the needle in the skin for 10 seconds.
    • Apply light pressure—Pull the needle straight out and gently press on the spot where you injected yourself for several seconds. Don’t rub the area.
    above from:
    https://www.lantus.com/-/media/EMS/...raw up the dose—Leave,vial firmly in one hand.

Fluffsmom and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, I never left the needle in for 10 seconds.

How about an experiment? Draw your dose, except use water or some other liquid. Inject the same way you would into an orange, apple, etc. Do you get the same drop?

Fluffsmom likes this.
  9. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

great idea. I will try that now!!!
    every drop matters!

10. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

i see it go into the skin in a nice chunk of kitty skin. lol. I dont think im coming out the other end. I will be more
    dilligent. Nope i wont give a second. Tonight I will do it slower making sure i plunge slow all the way down. I may hold it in for a bit. I think im flying the needle out too fast

11. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

ty so much!
    i think i am pulling out the needle so fast.

12. Fluffsmom

Fluffsmom Member

i realized i was pulling out the needle too fast!
    even holding in for five seconds kept that drop in skin vs on tip of needle! Turns out there is usually a bit that comes out of needle after injection, just because a teeny drop sits there. This def helps keep alll of it where it needs to be! Ty so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.