Insane appetite... Strange looking feces... Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Philly loves his smokey, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Philly loves his smokey

Philly loves his smokey New Member

Hey, my acro kitty smokey has lost a lot of weight. However, He has a absolutely ravenous appetite. He has to eat a can of wet food every 2 hrs if not more. Hes always crying out for food, and more food. Despite all the food he eats, he wont gain weight?His poop looks like clay and smells kinda funny. I know that it could be his liver, pancreas, gallbladder or something along those lines. I was just wondering if anyone had these symptoms with there acro kitty and what the treatment/outcome was? I'm broke right now and dont have the money for loads of tests, etc. Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks everyone....

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Acrocats often have ravenous appetites because of the excess growth hormone being output. If he isn’t very well regulated, that can also increase appetite. Acros can also have GI issues. A GI blood panel can test for issues there. Malabsorption of food will add to hunger. As can hyperthyroidism. Sorry, but that is another blood test. These aren’t things we can diagnose without a vet. And you can’t decide treatment without a diagnosis. The treatments vary widely, depending on what you are dealing with.

3. sbluhrs

sbluhrs Member

My Sophie ate an insane amount before she had her surgery. I would think the odd stinky poop comes from the food not being totally digested. She still isn't really self regulating since her surgery, but needs much, much less food than before. Now she eats a normal amount, even though she would make you think otherwise. And, yes, her poop smelled nasty before, but now is normal. She digests very well now, and it is much smaller, because the food is actually being used by her body.

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo ate a lot before SRT (radiation), and even a lot after until his insulin levels went way down. Like Wendy said, an unregulated diabetic cat (or acro-cat) will be eating more than normal. That is a compensation for the lack of absorption of calories.