Insulin and flea treatment

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda muffy, Feb 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda muffy

Amanda muffy New Member

I am new to the forum and new to having a diabetic cat.My cat started insulin a couple of days ago and is due for flea treatment. I was curious if it would cause any harm since the treatment is placed in the same area as injection?ty

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What type of flea treatment are you applying? There are several places on the cat you can shoot insulin.

49823824412_72fd707b6e_o.jpg

3. Amanda muffy

Amanda muffy New Member

Advantage 2 ,I bought it from my vet office, unfortunately I don't feel comfortable injecting in another site at this time,it's only his second day of shots.My vet has not gotten back to me yet but I wanted to check to see if anyone has had issues with applying it to the same area

4. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that you are putting the flea treatment between the shoulder blades?

I would think the flea treatment would 'contaminate' the injection site. I can relate it to using fly spray all over my horse and then giving her a vaccine - she developed a hotspot exactly where the vaccine needle went in. The hot spot remained for almost 2 years - hard lesson learned.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to use a buster collar after the spot-on has been applied to prevent accidental ingestion. The latter can sometimes cause inappetence, and that is something to avoid big time in any cat, but especially in a diabetic.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.