Insulin injection help (9.3mmol)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by totorothecat, Oct 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totorothecat

totorothecat New Member

Hi. My cat was newly diagnosed with diabetes. I was instructed to give 3 units of lantus twice a day. I just tested my cat with a Alphatrack glucose meter and he is at 9.3mmol. The vet tech told us below 10 to not give an insulin shot if below 10 mmol however I am confused as I thought that cats should be at 4-7mmol. Should I be giving him his insulin shot?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I can’t see your spreadsheet. Have you pressed the share button?

3 units is a lot of insulin for a newly diagnosed cat. The normal starting dose is around 1 unit.

Could you please put the type of insulin and the type of meter and date of diagnosis in your signature please as well as the type of food you are feeding. For us to be able to help you, we need to be able to see all this information as well as the spreadsheet.

Do you have a hypo kit set up?

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Bron, I don't think she does have a SS set up, that link is her Instagram account

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Helping Us to Help You please use this link so you can create your signature and spreadsheet so we can help your kitty :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.